Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-01-2008, 09:25 AM

'Marley & Me'

How many of you have ever read this wonderful book?

I'm not a book reader, not by any standard...I've read about three in my life. I read magazines, and articles in newspapers, but not books with hundreds of pages.

However, a couple of weeks ago my wife came home with a copy of 'Marley & Me', lent to her by a work colleague. As it was dog related, I decided to give it a go.

Very quickly, I was hooked, reading dozens of pages per day. The few chapters toward the end reminded me so much of my old boy Winston, I had to put the book down for a while, compose myself and get some fresh air.

I challenge anybody to read this book, and not laugh, cry or both from cover to cover.

A truly excellent read.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

05-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I read Marley and Me last year and thought it was brilliant too. I think that anyone who has had a much loved dog would be able to understand just what the author went through.

As for laughing and crying - oh yes - my poor OH thought that someone had died when he came in from work to find me on the sofa sobbing my heart out with tears running down my face at the end of the book!!

I've seen another one in a book shop recently (can't remember what it was called now) but it was about a greyhound who was rescued by a young lad who found a sack floating in a canal. The story is about their life together and I put it back down as I knew that it would be another tear jerker!!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Not read it, I have got it though just never go round to it.

For those who dont know the film based on the book is in production
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
Not read it, I have got it though just never go round to it
If you can find the time, it's well worth every minute you give to it.

Originally Posted by Stormey
For those who dont know the film based on the book is in production
I noticed that reading the credits at the end of the book. Not sure how that'll work, but if it does, it'll be a great film.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I do read quite a lot, and I think I saw this book at the airport when I was browsing in a shop, is it about a Cavalier by any chance, If it is the one I am thinking about it did look very very good. I will definately look out for Marley and Me
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
i have just finished this book and laughed cried really liked this book.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I read it last year and couldn't put it down and my god didnt it make me cry. brilliant book though.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
It's a brill book, and I don't normally read 'dog' or animal stories like that but it was so much more.
I passed my copy on to Lorna
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I read it almost in one sitting. John Grogan has a unique writing style which is easy to read and brings out both the funny and sad aspects of owning a dog. He started as a typical naive dog owner but graduated to become quite knowledgible.

I was nowhere near as impressed with his wife Jenny whose reasons for getting a dog in the first place seemed all wrong to me ("OMG I don't know if I could raise a child.......think I'd best practice on a dog" ) then wanting to be rid of it (OK she was going through PND at the time but it nearly happened) and finally when it looked like Harley was going to be in a film she suddenly 'loved' the dog and wanted to be seen on the set with him

I think John has to be admired for not listening to his wife and for writing that piece in his paper which subsequently led to the book.