Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Well I was absolutely fuming about this last night, and have made a complaint to ofcom about it.

Emily was foolish, I sympathise with her as she was trying to be cool and hip, it backfired. Channel 4 IMO were right to remove her, however, after she said what she said, Emily stated that she was not the only person to use that word in the house, to which Charley said "no I've used it, but I can because I'm a n****r" Now that in my opinion is completely wrong. Not only that, but then Channel 4 removed one of the two people that have used (Charley admitted to prior use of the word) a racially abusive word. What were the reasons behind their decision to remove one person, and not both, or none. They based their decision purely and simply on the colour of Emily's skin, THAT IS RACIST IN ITSELF. One rule for one, one for another.

Nobody should be allowed to use that word, and anybody who does should be punished, not just white people.
I'm not too clear whether Charley was saying that she has used the term herself sometime in the past or whether she was actually admitting to being the one Emily was referring to as having used it in the house.
I am not even sure that anyone else did use it in the house just because Emily said so. She may have just been acting defensively in the way that children will automatically say "I wasn't the only one". She did not try to claim it again in the diary room where it could be easily refuted.
I could be wrong of course but I think C4 appear to wish to be squeeky clean this time round so I think if Charley had used the term they would have spoken to her at the time at least if not take further action.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Well I was absolutely fuming about this last night, and have made a complaint to ofcom about it.

Emily was foolish, I sympathise with her as she was trying to be cool and hip, it backfired. Channel 4 IMO were right to remove her, however, after she said what she said, Emily stated that she was not the only person to use that word in the house, to which Charley said "no I've used it, but I can because I'm a n****r" Now that in my opinion is completely wrong. Not only that, but then Channel 4 removed one of the two people that have used (Charley admitted to prior use of the word) a racially abusive word. What were the reasons behind their decision to remove one person, and not both, or none. They based their decision purely and simply on the colour of Emily's skin, THAT IS RACIST IN ITSELF. One rule for one, one for another.

Nobody should be allowed to use that word, and anybody who does should be punished, not just white people.
I agree with you on that, if the offense is to actually say the word, then anyone saying it should be removed.
I am also wondering where they will draw the line on the definition of 'offensive'...ie Charley herself has said several offensive things about other people, including calling Chanelle a 'slapper' a 'slut' and 'white trash'
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Also when Lesley was telling a story to Chanelle about when she was in a restaurant once and she said "there was a big fat man sitting in there with his big fat wife, you know big fat".

Well I thought that wasn't very nice considering there was two overweight housemates in the house. I, myself felt offended since I am also very overweight. It makes you wonder if thats why Lesley isnt so keen on Carole!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I'm not too clear whether Charley was saying that she has used the term herself sometime in the past or whether she was actually admitting to being the one Emily was referring to as having used it in the house.
I am not even sure that anyone else did use it in the house just because Emily said so. She may have just been acting defensively in the way that children will automatically say "I wasn't the only one". She did not try to claim it again in the diary room where it could be easily refuted.
I could be wrong of course but I think C4 appear to wish to be squeeky clean this time round so I think if Charley had used the term they would have spoken to her at the time at least if not take further action.
Channel 4 said she was evicted for using a racist word, now all 3 used the same word yet only one was evicted, why? My opinion is that C4 wanted a scapegoat and she was perfect, it would also keep groups like the CRE happy and after the cbb fiasco it shows to groups like the CRE that they are seen to be doing something.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Het View Post
I agree with you on that, if the offense is to actually say the word, then anyone saying it should be removed.
I am also wondering where they will draw the line on the definition of 'offensive'...ie Charley herself has said several offensive things about other people, including calling Chanelle a 'slapper' a 'slut' and 'white trash'
I also wonder where they will draw the line. "White trash" is also a racist comment and she too should have been removed from the house if they were being consistent.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
now all 3 used the same word yet only one was evicted, why?
Do you mean when they were discussing it's use? I think that was appropriate.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Do you mean when they were discussing it's use? I think that was appropriate.
Sorry I disagree, Its either should be used all of the time or never, It should not be up to tv companys to decide. While the person used the word, which is wrong she did not use it in an offensive way, she used it in a way how a lot of black people use it, and charley said she uses it. So once again why was she singled out? scapegoat.
Biff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I know what you mean Hewey, I thought myself, if Charley had said it in the house then surely they would have pulled her up on it there and then. Regardless of that, she definitely said the words, " I have said it, but I can because I am a n****r" I certainly think that a comment like that in itself is extremely racist. That makes the assumption that due to the colour of her skin she is condoning the use of a word that when said by a non black person, is deemed abusive and racist. I think if Big Brother was truly intent on stamping out racist behaviour, then Charley would be evicted also, that would be the sort of message that would tell everybody, regardless of colour that they will not tolerate the use of such a word.

I agree that when Nicky and Charley used the word to discuss what had happened, they were simply quoting another person, which was appropriate (the same goes for channel 4 and their decision to air the comment on last night's show) and neccessary. However, the way in which Charley said that she can say that word because she "is a n****r" was completely incorrect, un called for, racist, and has to date, gone unnoticed and unpunished.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Two new guys hopefully going into the house tonight, yippeee can't wait. :smt041
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
Two new guys hopefully going into the house tonight, yippeee can't wait. :smt041
I flippin knew it. Two Gay guys. I've no problem with gay guys (or girls) but why oh why does BB keep doing this?

It's so old hat. Why push stereotypes? Is gay still trendy? Can we not just have a crowd of guys and girls that are boring and average and see how they get on ?.
Page 7 of 38 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »