Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2005, 06:28 PM

"Threads"

I spent some of yesterday afternoon watching the DVD of this amazing BBC drama from the Thatcher Era.

The film is set in the days of the old Soviet Bloc, so, in precise terms, it's out of date, but in the current climate of goings-on in the Middle East, it has a definite message which is still valid now.

The drama starts against a backdrop of civil war in Iran (there are snippets of TV and radio news in the background). Two families in Sheffield (why they picked on poor Sheffield isn't really clear!) are preparing for a wedding, and generally, life is going along in much the way a lot of peeps might recognize.

To "support" the Iran Government, the Soviets invade. To "preserve the world for democracy", the Americans fill the seas with warships. Politicians everywhere start all the usual posturing, and "battlefield" nuclear weapons are used. Within days, the whole thing goes nuclear - a strike on poor Sheffield is the precursor to the arrival of 200 megatons all over the UK (the BBC effects and makeup departments really get let off the leash!) and the Civil Defence preparations fall apart in a welter of shouting and inadequacy.

Even after this, the film isn't finished. It goes on to the immediate aftermath, with kids getting shot for stealing half-loaves of stale bread and everything being left to the remains of the army to administer (badly).

"Threads" finishes thirteen years after the attack, with Britain under the shadow of the "Nuclear Winter" - nothing will grow and people can get murdered for a supermarket bag full of frozen rats.

This is, needless to say, not a "family fun" film, but one with a very serious message - especially with the trouble brewing around the place at the moment. I remember seeing it when it was first broadcast (despite Thatcher's attempts to get it banned - no surprise there!) and it shocked the nation. Now I think it should be compulsory viewing for any prospective MP! Also, highly recommended for anyone who thinks that nuclear weapons are a neat idea and is still under the mistaken impression that a nuclear war might be winnable - see one, you've seen them all.

So, not a DVD for showing to granny over tea and biccies, nor good viewing for the kids' bedtimes, but thought-provoking, nevertheless. Also, very good technically, despite the cover warning that a lot of it is archive footage and not necessarily of today's normal high quality.

As to how realistic it is, well, I suspect that the reality would be a whole lot worse

I got hold of the DVD through a Radio Times reader offer, which turned out to be "Choices Direct", in Jersey.

If you see this film and it doesn't scare the s*** out of you, then I suspect that nothing will.

Snorri
(in a hurry to get to the loo!)
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I saw this a few years ago. It kept me awake at night for a while! Don't think I'd watch it again though. You're obviously a bit tougher than me!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2005, 06:47 PM
One of the scariest bits for me was the first strike on the North Sea (aimed at oil production platforms and facilities). If that happened, I'd be the first Dogwebber to become toast! (Enough justification in itself, I can hear some say! )

NOWHERE would be safe, no point in running.

So much for "Protect and Survive" (or, as my Glasgow friend calls it, "Survive and Protect!")!

Snorri
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2005, 04:08 PM
I saw that about a year ago on BBC3 or 4. It disturbed me for ages

Frightening thought provoking film
(incidently, my MIL did the make-up on threads)
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by mand p
(incidently, my MIL did the make-up on threads)
In that case, she did a scarily good job! I'd hate to imagine what she could have done for Halloween!

Snorri
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Yes she is good. She is Head of Make up on Corrie now

And she did casualty for years