View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2014, 01:32 PM
What do buddhists (sp?) believe in? Do they believe in the bible or something else? If I was going to have a religion, buddism would take my fancy. I only know a bit about buddism because of a friend of mine who has had brain surgery was told to read up on it to calm her aggression issues after the surgery and she did study it but I don't see much of her and it's not the kind of thing I would ask her.

I found that programme interesting, because it actually taught me WHY the man was blinded on his way to Damascus that day (was it Saul?), because when taught in school, there was no actual lead up to that story, it was just read along with all the others at random.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
The differant bibles as explained to me,was that the people of israel do not believe in Gods Son,they do not believe in the 2nd Coming,now interestingly the Mormons,who are working on a data base to house religious papers from all over the world,reckon the 2nd coming has happened but in reverse,Charles Manson they think he is a fallen angel,as they ,like many christians believe in good and evil a lot of emminent professors had a field day to be able to discuss whether this was so,Maybe we were sent Charles Manson,because we have abused the earth.But to me it was an interesting concept,one of my clients who is a mormon showed me this article in there paper,even though at the time I was supposed to be doing his accounts and he even gives a percentage of his income to the church,so he is really involved with all things mormon and was very excited about this development.Gemini54
good post
If you look at mainstream Judaism they don't even accept the 'first coming ', by which I mean don't believe Jesus was the messiah . the first Christians were meant to be jews at the time they did accept Jesus as the messiah . so its stands to reason Judaism doesn't accept the new testament considering the new testament is all about Jesus the messiah .
by all accounts Judaism states Jesus was one of many false messiahs and that there hasn't even been amessiah yet

that's fascinating about Mormons I hadn't heard that about Charles Manson before . will definitely read up on that , thanks
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
What do buddhists (sp?) believe in? Do they believe in the bible or something else? If I was going to have a religion, buddism would take my fancy. I only know a bit about buddism because of a friend of mine who has had brain surgery was told to read up on it to calm her aggression issues after the surgery and she did study it but I don't see much of her and it's not the kind of thing I would ask her.

I found that programme interesting, because it actually taught me WHY the man was blinded on his way to Damascus that day (was it Saul?), because when taught in school, there was no actual lead up to that story, it was just read along with all the others at random.
Hi Helena,Buddist is a very old religion,it works in cycles of I believe 7 years and each seven years means something differant, Sandie Shaw and Tina Turner are buddists,but they do not kill as they believe we all come back in another form,that is the cycle of life.They have lost there spiritual leader Dal Llama, because they couldnt stand up to the chinese,they are now searching for the new Dal Llama who will be a small boy,ring any bells The Bible King herod wanting all the baby boys killed.I just hope they will stand up to the chinese or someone else should .Gemini54
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the insight there G54, and from what you have said about some of their beliefs, these are my beliefs too, so it makes sense for me to investigate this religion further. I have also believed in that 7 year rule, don't ask me why, but 7 years of good luck, and then if it starts going wrong, you'll be getting 7 years of bad. How very strange, that you have pointed out there the two things that I have always believed, but never knew it came from the Buddhist religion. I do remember King Herod ordering all the baby boys to be killed, that one has stuck in my mind from my schooldays, along with the chap being blinded, and also somebody being turned to salt, and another couple who were told not to look at the *light* which was going to be bright. Apart from those few things, I remember very little, and it was all very meaningless to me.

Now I have some research to do then......
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the insight there G54, and from what you have said about some of their beliefs, these are my beliefs too, so it makes sense for me to investigate this religion further. I have also believed in that 7 year rule, don't ask me why, but 7 years of good luck, and then if it starts going wrong, you'll be getting 7 years of bad. How very strange, that you have pointed out there the two things that I have always believed, but never knew it came from the Buddhist religion. I do remember King Herod ordering all the baby boys to be killed, that one has stuck in my mind from my schooldays, along with the chap being blinded, and also somebody being turned to salt, and another couple who were told not to look at the *light* which was going to be bright. Apart from those few things, I remember very little, and it was all very meaningless to me.

j

I find buddhism appealing to
there are several different types Buddhism
Tibetan Buddhism is one also traces its roots back toan old Tibetan pre Buddhist belief called Bon
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
Yeah the apocrypha isn't accepted as scripture by most Protestant churches but was affirmed by the Catholic Church at the council of Trent. There are two issues I find that are out of sync with the rest of scripture one is some of its historical claims are not in line with the rest of the canon. Second it makes some theological claims which also don't fit in wit the bible such as condoning the use of magic and claiming alms will deliver from sin.
Hi ashman, Ihave done my research with orthodox Jewish sources how

Whats interesting about this argument between Catholics and protestants having differing bibles is the Catholics turned to the early protestants and said your bible invalid not word of God as you are missing some books from the old testament

but the protestants countered you have just tagged on those books late as they don't tally with what they called 'the Hebrew bible ' by which they meant the old testament as presented in the Christian bible

I also found a Canadian website called Jews for Judaism which exists to counter Christian attempts to convert Jews.
there is actually an article on there written by srabbi entitled
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
Yeah the apocrypha isn't accepted as scripture by most Protestant churches but was affirmed by the Catholic Church at the council of Trent. There are two issues I find that are out of sync with the rest of scripture one is some of its historical claims are not in line with the rest of the canon. Second it makes some theological claims which also don't fit in wit the bible such as condoning the use of magic and claiming alms will deliver from sin.
Hi ashman, Ihave done my research with orthodox Jewish sources how .

Whats interesting about this argument between Catholics and protestants having differing bibles is the Catholics turned to the early protestants and said your bible invalid not word of God as you are missing some books from the old testament.
but the protestants countered you have just tagged on those books late as they don't tally with what they called 'the Hebrew bible ' by which they meant the old testament as presented in the Christian bible

Ialso found website called Jews for Judaism started to counter Christian attempts to convert Jews . there is an article on there written by arabbi entitled. "Why Jews don't accept the new testament ". Its very interesting read that might interest you.
he also uses the phrase scripture several times when referring to the tanakh etc as scripture simply means 'religious text'

I also found a Canadian website called Jews for Judaism which exists to counter Christian attempts to convert Jews.
there is actually an article on there written by srabbi entitled
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
j

I find buddhism appealing to
there are several different types Buddhism
Tibetan Buddhism is one also traces its roots back toan old Tibetan pre Buddhist belief called Bon
I think my interest has stemmed from a book I read in the 70's called The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Have you read it? I think I got half way through it before moving on to Psychiatry, which is what you do in your late teens I suppose, you can't stop yourself from wanting to know just about everything about everything. Or maybe I was a strange kid
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2014, 06:05 PM
I think my interest has stemmed from a book I read in the 70's called The Tibetan Book of the Dead. Have you read it? I think I got half way through it before moving on to Psychiatry, which is what you do in your late teens I suppose, you can't stop yourself from wanting to know just about everything about everything. Or maybe I was a strange kid
Nah , I was the same

Been meaning to get round to Tibetan book of the dead for ages. - thanks for reminder
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Hi Helena and KyesWhen I lived in London,used to go to the Hari Krishna at Lunch time they served up the most beautiful vegetable curry free,and there statues were so beautiful,they chanted and some of them got past the awareness of Earth and became elevated.I think they may have there roots in Buddism,but going there after such a fraught morning working in the capital,my office used to look over Euston Square,this was the late seventies,and there were numerous bomb scares,little metal micky would go in and check the area,we would be out of the office waiting behind the line waiting for clearance,you would be freezing your butt off as you had to leave your coat and handbag, so going to the temple was a must.Did you see the film of Tina Turner,and how she turned to be a buddhist and it gave her great strength,with buddhist you dont have anyone preaching at you,you learn how to chant and you go through various levels,but just couldnt clear my mind enough to do it so that it is benefical.Gemini54
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5