New Member!
Female 

28-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes .Finding it interesting
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2013, 01:56 PM
I've seen the last two episodes now and I wish I'd seen the whole lot. Bit gruesome the crucifiction though, but then if it's supposed to tell it like it was then they had no choice I suppose.

Considering I didn't understand a word of it whilst I was at school, I do hope they make it a lot simpler for kids of today to understand it, by teaching it in some other way than reading from the bible itself. That way, they can choose whether to believe or not cos the way I was taught, we always thought it was a load of old cobblers!

I'm still on the fence here, I don't think it would turn me religious any more than I am already, in that I do believe in something, not quite sure what yet though.

This is a brilliant programme though, and I will definitely be watching on catch up.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by chrriss View Post
Such a shame they could have made something slightly less commercial and a bit more 'earthy' LOL
Well , at least Mel Gibson had a go at this idea couple years back
On this trailer kept expecting see Charlton Heston pop up !
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've seen the last two episodes now and I wish I'd seen the whole lot. Bit gruesome the crucifiction though, but then if it's supposed to tell it like it was then they had no choice I suppose.

Considering I didn't understand a word of it whilst I was at school, I do hope they make it a lot simpler for kids of today to understand it, by teaching it in some other way than reading from the bible itself. That way, they can choose whether to believe or not cos the way I was taught, we always thought it was a load of old cobblers!

I'm still on the fence here, I don't think it would turn me religious any more than I am already, in that I do believe in something, not quite sure what yet though.

This is a brilliant programme though, and I will definitely be watching on catch up.
but Christianity IS the bible so if you and your mates studied the bible then thought Christianity a load of old cobblers then surely you DID make your own choices?

If you avoid the bible and somehow disguise what you are teaching isn't that denying kids the ability to choose for themselves

besides we were taught the bible with comics and kids story books and. movies when we were youngsters and we thought it was great as it was just story time but we we for older and tgey introduced more actual bible and we all had independent brains by then most of us still ended up thinking it was a load if old cobblers ! And that was the seventies and eighties

its better to wait and teach kids such things when they are older enough to think for themselves
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes, let the wait until they're old enough to at least have a chance of understanding the way it is written, OR, make it simpler, just like this tv series has done imo.

How anyone can actually understand the bible itself is beyond me, even at my ripe old age, but I actually *got it* with this tv series.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Yes, let the wait until they're old enough to at least have a chance of understanding the way it is written, OR, make it simpler, just like this tv series has done imo.

How anyone can actually understand the bible itself is beyond me, even at my ripe old age, but I actually *got it* with this tv series.
Bbut on most schools and churches going back decades they have made it simpler thru the comics kids storu books and movies , so I'm not too sure what you mean?

And isn't the bible written in updated language now ? If you just read it like anovel its easy to follow like the movies . some bits are a bit obscure but the new testament Jesus story is easy to follow ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I was at school from the late 1950's and we actually READ the bible from the book itself, no help with comic strips, no nothing, just the book itself. I did like the very thin paper it was always written on though! Even in the early 1960's when I was a teenager it was still that old bible we had.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I was at school from the late 1950's and we actually READ the bible from the book itself, no help with comic strips, no nothing, just the book itself. I did like the very thin paper it was always written on though! Even in the early 1960's when I was a teenager it was still that old bible we had.

Oh right that makes sense now. I think that all changed in the seventies I think ?
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post

Jesus is too white too pretty boy too American
Originally Posted by chrriss View Post
Such a shame they could have made something slightly less commercial and a bit more 'earthy' LOL
Agreed. Playing to the audience I'm afraid. How do you think the American populous would take to a middle eastern messiah?

Not that his skin matters much to his legacy

You can't just read the bible and understand it in its fullness it does take quite a bit of studying. I teach it to teenagers there are a wealth of translations, commentaries and study guides to help.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Interesting..............
Hi I was looking forward to it,but some years ago bought a set of DVD's also called The Bible,but it was produced by Jehova Witness.It was OK but slanted the stories to its belief.Gemini54
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >