Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I watched it, mostly with horror.

Personally, I think anyone who wants 15 plus children (even half that amount!) is completely crazy.

I absolutely adore my dogs but I certainly would not have 15 of them! Financially and practically it is just not possible. Even if I did not work, I do not believe I would have time to give the individual dog all the time that they needed and deserved.

Same above goes with children.

Why should I expect the state to pay out 15 x child benefit/family allowance or whatever it is nowadays that you get anyway even if you do work? I just don't think it's right at all, morally or ethically.

I would draw the line at two children (although one would be more than enough for me), personally, then than we would only be 'replacing' ourselves on the planet.

We are a vastly over-populated world as it stands and we just cannot support the amount of people we currently have. We do not have an infinite amound of resources.

Oh, and yes, I do believe in contraception. People should use it more!

And before any of you start, it's my opinion.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I watched it, mostly with horror.

Personally, I think anyone who wants 15 plus children (even half that amount!) is completely crazy.

I absolutely adore my dogs but I certainly would not have 15 of them! Financially and practically it is just not possible. Even if I did not work, I do not believe I would have time to give the individual dog all the time that they needed and deserved.

Same above goes with children.

Why should I expect the state to pay out 15 x child benefit/family allowance or whatever it is nowadays that you get anyway even if you do work? I just don't think it's right at all, morally or ethically.

I would draw the line at two children (although one would be more than enough for me), personally, then than we would only be 'replacing' ourselves on the planet.

We are a vastly over-populated world as it stands and we just cannot support the amount of people we currently have. We do not have an infinite amound of resources.

Oh, and yes, I do believe in contraception. People should use it more!

And before any of you start, it's my opinion.
wish someone had told my little sister that she pops her first one out at the end of may..
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Well my opinion says that if 15 kids are going to grow up and pay taxes, plus the mum and dad pay tax then why shouldn't they get child benefit...theres also the fact that the demographics are changing and the government have been going on about how we are a declining population, more oldies, less youth our whatever, so nt sure what thats got to do with anything or how we don't have resources

I wouldn't think about kids as "replacing yourself" either. I know some families that have lost children, so not replaced, then others, their 2 kids went on to have double the kids they had EACH, so don't think theres any point thinking like that.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm a Christian, I have 2 children. I use contraception. I stopped at 2 simply because I couldn't afford anymore. I would have liked perhaps one more (although now I shudder at the thought ). Yes there is the argument if you can afford them then go for it, however on a planet with finite resources, a little island that is already bursting at the seams, no thanks. Imo Child benefit should only be paid for the first 2, any more than that you better have a darn good job!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
I'm a Christian, I have 2 children. I use contraception. I stopped at 2 simply because I couldn't afford anymore. I would have liked perhaps one more (although now I shudder at the thought ). Yes there is the argument if you can afford them then go for it, however on a planet with finite resources, a little island that is already bursting at the seams, no thanks. Imo Child benefit should only be paid for the first 2, any more than that you better have a darn good job!!
Absolutely agree with every word! Well said.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:01 PM
RE: finite resources, we are not about to lose the ability to have clean water, the skills to build shelter, or grow veg etc

If people start having more than 2 kids, it won't end the world!
Plenty people choose not to have any, so a couple of families having 15, who afaik are supporting themselves, isn't going to overcrowd the country or blow the ozone layer to smitherines.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2012, 06:13 PM
I really don't think it matters how many children other people have. I didn't ask anyones permission to have my two so why should they be critisised for having more. For me the issues are having enough time and money for the children you have. I spaced mine out so they each had individual attention, we did fun stuff together and we had plenty of one to one time as well as time together. I enjoyed my children but know I couldn't have enjoyed them to the same degree had I had loads more. If the parents are working I don't begrudge them the benefits they receive to top up their income as long as they are being good parents. We will recoup our outlay once they reach adulthood and pay the taxes to support our pensions and healthcare when we are old and decrepid. There are plenty of people knocking out half a dozen kids by different blokes and being totally supported by the state and yet seem to play no proactive role in their childrens lives. So I wont critise others for having children because they love them and bring them up to be decent human beings.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
RE: finite resources, we are not about to lose the ability to have clean water, the skills to build shelter, or grow veg etc

If people start having more than 2 kids, it won't end the world!
Plenty people choose not to have any, so a couple of families having 15, who afaik are supporting themselves, isn't going to overcrowd the country or blow the ozone layer to smitherines.
no, but there are housing shortages, schools struggling to cope in inner city areas (where lets be brutally honest, most of these big families are), and frankly I'm not overly impressed with one family receiving £210 per WEEK child, over £10,000 a year because they wanted a large family. You say about them going onto pay tax in later life, but what if they dont, what if they think the dole is the way to go? And being honest again, I know of a number of large families, 5 kids+, not one parent works, the older kids claim benefits and the mums keep popping kids out so they don't have to work.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:29 PM
You dont know EVERY large family so stop tarring them with the same brush! I was only one of two, from a (god forbid) lone parent family, I work, my brother works, no doubt ppl like you would have had us down as no-hopers though! Simply cos we grew up on benefits! BTW my mother now pays plenty tax from her good job too. My mum was one of five, the five grew up to work. My Dad was one of 9, they grew up in care but they all work. A client of mine had loads of kids, don't even know how many, but they owned homes all over the world and paid their own way.

Yet again I floored by the quick judgements and pessimistic attitudes on here when it comes to giving people a chance.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I was interested to watch this because my hubby is one of 15 children.
He was born in the '30s, before child benefit. His Father was a farm labourer, on a low wage but with free milk and vegetables which helped. Mother never worked.
They got through and ended up a happy, healthy, well adjusted family.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well the two families managed and what nice kids they were.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »