Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I believe someone told me I would only want my children to leave at 18 because I wasn't a mother - so I told my wife, I didn't "get her involved" she's not for telling. You are all judgmental, the way my family has been refered to we felt was homophobic, as you all kept separating me and the children and you certainly would not be making comments like these if the children were mine biologically and my OH was male, I firmly stand by that belief! I didn't insult Maikas culture, I pointed out there are many differences in society and in cultures, it is plain as day for all to see that Maika is in Israel and therefore I (wrongly) assumed that the culture difference between different countries all around the world was the reason for the viewpoint towards children being at home after reaching adulthood.
Yes I live in Israel. I have lived in Israel since 27 August 1985, but I was born in England [Bushey Maternity Hospital in the district of Watford, Hertfordshire] on 13 March 1942, of parents also born in England, so I do not have any different "culture" to you or your "wife" or anyone else on this forum.

Children here are no different "culturally" than those where you live.

We even have running water and indoor sanitation!

You might not have insulted my "culture" but you have insulted the "culture" of the Country where I live.

Oh, and my name is MALKA and not Maika.

Now I do not care one iota about your sexual proclivity - you are the one who keeps bringing it up. Over and over and over again. Nobody else has mentioned it.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna's Rachy View Post
I'm sorry are we supposed to keep the same sex couple comments out of this thread? Oh dear does that offed?
One last comment (I know I shouldn't get drawn in) but OMG get a grip!!! No it doesn't offend, I don't actually care! And neither does anyone else. However, do u see us going 'oh my straight hubby' 'my male partner' etc, nope, cause it's not relevant to anything. It seems you have issues about it though, cause you keep throwing it at us. This is not London and Gay Pride! I have loads of gay/lesbian/bi mates, I don't care about what they do either, and neither do they care about what I do!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

I don't find it offensive that you are a same sex couple, I find it irrelevant tbh and a bit of a yawn. My stepson is in a same sex relationship so it's not an alien concept.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

just typed a massive reply and then managed to erase it.

Parenting is completely subjective. Everyone has opinions on the right and wrong way. However just from the comments Lorna & rachy have made my only comments would be this:

As a mother to 2 soon to be 3 young kids, I know I depend somewhat on my own mum for support and assistance and wouldn't want it any other way, so I guess from some of your comments I get the sense that you are quite happy to help your kids in an emergency after 18 and independent but I think as a parent your responsibility and support never stops.\\Everyday as much as anything else, and just because both of you don't choose to utilise that from your own parents doesn't mean your own kids might not want something more.

My mum and I are independent and I live with my hubby etc but I spend a great deal of time with her, we share stuff, I can call her to come and take her grandchildren away before I throttle them etc at the drop of a hat, I wouldn't want that any other way and neither would she, however my brother doesn't want that kind of relationship at all with her and holds her at arms length so you just never know what your kids will want from you in the future, so I guess what i am driving at is similar to everyone else in that YOU might have ideas about how its going to be in a few years time but your kids might end up being completely different ideas.

As to the program, I just think again that 15 kids in todays society is probably really hard and my only thought is that those parents seemed to be portrayed as having a NEED for a baby/pregnancy rather than another child as such...
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Yes I live in Israel. I have lived in Israel since 27 August 1985, but I was born in England [Bushey Maternity Hospital in the district of Watford, Hertfordshire] on 13 March 1942, of parents also born in England, so I do not have any different "culture" to you or your "wife" or anyone else on this forum.

Children here are no different "culturally" than those where you live.

We even have running water and indoor sanitation!

You might not have insulted my "culture" but you have insulted the "culture" of the Country where I live.

Oh, and my name is MALKA and not Maika.

Now I do not care one iota about your sexual proclivity - you are the one who keeps bringing it up. Over and over and over again. Nobody else has mentioned it.
Everyone has different cultures?! I live in Wales, the culture here is different from many parts of the UK alone, let alone, Spain, Egypt, Israel, Dubai. My cousin lives in Dubai actually, and she would highly disagree that their culture is the same as Britain's?!

I didn't INSULT your culture at all, I pointed out that there are differences between cultures and society!!! Don't try and make this out to be any form of attack by me, you lot have managed that one all on your own. I think if I'd written that the children were to live with us for as long as they liked someone would have turned around and argued that we weren't encouraging them to work for a living etc. I've come to realise it doesn't matter what I write, there is ALWAYS someone on this forum who will twist it round to get an argument out of me, it always works, hence why I stayed away for so long, as for some reason so many people on here (who ironically also pipped up in this thread to) seem to love an argument with me particularly.

I'm done with this, reply and insult me as many times as you like, I shan't be replying again. I wish you all good health.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
One last comment (I know I shouldn't get drawn in) but OMG get a grip!!! No it doesn't offend, I don't actually care! And neither does anyone else. However, do u see us going 'oh my straight hubby' 'my male partner' etc, nope, cause it's not relevant to anything. It seems you have issues about it though, cause you keep throwing it at us. This is not London and Gay Pride! I have loads of gay/lesbian/bi mates, I don't care about what they do either, and neither do they care about what I do!
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't find it offensive that you are a same sex couple, I find it irrelevant tbh and a bit of a yawn. My stepson is in a same sex relationship so it's not an alien concept.
Erm, congratulations?!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
No, but I'm sure you would never DARE insult a straight couple's way of parenting would you? Now either move back to talking about a TV show, or just stop talking!
Hi Lorna (and Lorna's partner) - I think you guys are being over-defensive when you needn't be, and reading into things that are just not there - I don't think anyone cares that you're a same sex couple. I'm sure they'd think the same if a straight couple held the same stance - which, I think would be fair to say does seem stricter than what we might say is the norm - hence the raging discussion.

As Dani just said, parenting is subjective - we all have different views and opinions, and while I'm no expert, I would say that you never know what might happen (despite your best efforts to plan things), and perhaps most importantly, the only 'judging' worth worrying about is from your children.

Closing the thread now as I think it's had its day.
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13