Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
For someone with no knowledge of the difference between Traveller and Romany...can someone who knows please explain?

I felt sorry this week for the girl who was working in a hotel and had to give that up to get married, she was clearly sad
Also, people have mentioned tax...so they don't pay their way at all? No wonder the man trying to barter a couch didn't want to discuss money. I don't think it's from pride or modesty in that case, it's not wanting to declare what they earn surely?
I'm all for people have a culture, but all cultures surely have to fit into the law? People from other countries who come here and get jobs have to pay tax right? Or do they not? I hate paying tax - don't we all - but I understand why I have to and don't try and avoid it. Grr on the people who are getting a free ride on my money
These people are not gypsies, the title is misleading and its insulting to Romanies. These people come from Ireland, don't pay taxes etc etc, they are travellers not gypsies. Romany gypsies actually originate from India and love animals are hardworking and very clean, my great granfather was a hawker and made his own wreaths etc and sold them, he had horses and dogs and treated them with respect, they would not expect handouts or any allowances to be made for them either.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
These people are not gypsies, the title is misleading and its insulting to Romanies. These people come from Ireland, don't pay taxes etc etc, they are travellers not gypsies. Romany gypsies actually originate from India and love animals are hardworking and very clean, my great granfather was a hawker and made his own wreaths etc and sold them, he had horses and dogs and treated them with respect, they would not expect handouts or any allowances to be made for them either.
They call themselves Gypsies on the programee, so its not misleading at all, if they class them selves as "Irish Gypsies" who are we to say otherwise!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
They call themselves Gypsies on the programee, so its not misleading at all, if they class them selves as "Irish Gypsies" who are we to say otherwise!
They might call themselves that but they are not, they are travellers/pikeys - and i can say otherwise, infact apparently there has been a lot of backlash from Romanies who object to being associated with them

http://www.romanygenes,webeden.co.uk

Google the definition of traveller and romany gypsy they are two different things
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post

Thank you for clarifying that
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:43 PM
How on Earth can you deduce that most of the girls had boob jobs?!!

I thought it was great that the girls can dress and dance how they like and enjoy it - because the whole community lives by a rigid moral code, which puts 'reality' before 'appearance'.

You can't say that just because someone dresses in a provocative way (in your eyes) that they can't possibly be intent on keeping sex for within marriage. That makes no sense at all! I know plenty of 'sensibly dressed' women who are living with a man outside marriage; who have broken up marriages and who have married for money.

I don't go round saying 'Oh my God! She's wearing beige! Lock up your menfolk!' so I don't expect anyone to jump to conclusions about me or the way I look because I happen to be erm...curvy and don't see anything wrong with dressing to flatter my figure.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-02-2011, 09:47 PM
women can dress how they like ..
6 year old girls dressing like that is just wrong
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 09:47 PM
I totally agree in dressing anyway you want as long as it is for yourself.

But it appears in their culture that you are considered on the shelf if you are not married by the time you are 20 so they are dressing to attract men even at this young age. So wrong on so many levels.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
women can dress how they like ..
6 year old girls dressing like that is just wrong
Agree entirely. The older girls can do what they like...but I can't agree with little girls dressing and dancing like that.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6