Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-08-2013, 01:18 AM

Rabbit hounds at work!

I know many people that rabbit hunt and the most commen breed for that whould all ways be the beagal.... But I was thinking is thire any breed that is more Or gast as successful at rabbit hunting ? My favorite rabbit hound is the ibizan hound but I'm pretty positive that thire is a lot of other rabbit hounds that people used a lot ...... What is everyone's top 3 rabbit hounds ? Want to know what everyone thinks
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 06:49 AM
Well I have a Bull Lurcher, from working stock, which are supposed to be good....but I would absolutely ever use him for that because I am very anti blood sports.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2013, 07:38 AM
In the UK, definitely the lurcher. A lurcher is a cross between a running dog and a working dog - e.g. a greyhound and a collie. The lurcher I had was fairly big and looked very much like a deerhound, so we are assuming she was part deerhound.
Before we had her, she had been used for poaching rabbits and hares. When you let her off the lead, she used to run at an incredible speed (you almost thought she was going to take off) in a figure of eight. She had been very well trained by her previous owners and I am sure they were sorry to have lost her (they made a quick getaway when they were caught by Poacher Watch and accidentally left her behind) - she totally ignored cats, squirrels and sheep - it was only rabbits she was interested in.

Unfortunately for her, I am very fond of little rabbits and made great efforts to keep her on the lead anywhere we were likely to find them.

My friend has a labrador, and on every single walk he would catch a rabbit. Now he's too old to catch them, so he digs up poor little moles instead.
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Well I have a Bull Lurcher, from working stock, which are supposed to be good....but I would absolutely ever use him for that because I am very anti blood sports.
Me too, I will never understand how any person could get pleasure from seeing a rabbit or any other creature caught and hearing it scream.

I will never understand why they call it a sport either. Surely a sport involves one or more WILLING competitors.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post
Me too, I will never understand how any person could get pleasure from seeing a rabbit or any other creature caught and hearing it scream.

I will never understand why they call it a sport either. Surely a sport involves one or more WILLING competitors.
Exactly!
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
In the UK, definitely the lurcher. A lurcher is a cross between a running dog and a working dog - e.g. a greyhound and a collie. The lurcher I had was fairly big and looked very much like a deerhound, so we are assuming she was part deerhound.
Before we had her, she had been used for poaching rabbits and hares. When you let her off the lead, she used to run at an incredible speed (you almost thought she was going to take off) in a figure of eight. She had been very well trained by her previous owners and I am sure they were sorry to have lost her (they made a quick getaway when they were caught by Poacher Watch and accidentally left her behind) - she totally ignored cats, squirrels and sheep - it was only rabbits she was interested in.

Unfortunately for her, I am very fond of little rabbits and made great efforts to keep her on the lead anywhere we were likely to find them.

My friend has a labrador, and on every single walk he would catch a rabbit. Now he's too old to catch them, so he digs up poor little moles instead.
That's shocking I whould love to see a breed as big as a deer hound hunt for small game !
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Couldn't agree more, I always think if you gave a pheasant a gun then it becomes a sport without it then it's just a sadistic idiot killing living creatures for the fun of it - could never understand how they inserted the term "sport".

Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post

Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by pitboy View Post
I know many people that rabbit hunt and the most commen breed for that whould all ways be the beagal.... But I was thinking is thire any breed that is more Or gast as successful at rabbit hunting ? My favorite rabbit hound is the ibizan hound but I'm pretty positive that thire is a lot of other rabbit hounds that people used a lot ...... What is everyone's top 3 rabbit hounds ? Want to know what everyone thinks
Can't understand why anyone would want to kill another living creature. Baffles me. It's one thing to hunt if your life depends on it, quite another if all you want is to have a little sport and bring home a couple of dead creatures to show your friends.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Can't understand why anyone would want to kill another living creature. Baffles me. It's one thing to hunt if your life depends on it, quite another if all you want is to have a little sport and bring home a couple of dead creatures to show your friends.
I agree - and I can't understand how someone who professes to love dogs can be so cruel towards another animal - just what is the difference........?
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Personally I would love my dogs to hunt rabbits as it would save me a few pounds on food each week. I don't see it as cruel. The dogs would do it naturally anyway, it exercises them and it cuts down the numbers of rabbits. On a part of Epping forest there is a field myself and my daughter call the rabbit field because there are hundreds.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »