Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Credit card fraud.... but how?

I have a credit card I never really use.
I keep it if my son wants something small, I'll put it on that card and he can pay me back, but haven't used it for months and months.

In the week I got a letter asking if I wanted to start a direct debit payment method up. Strange? I thought.

So today we were on the way out and I got the letters from the mailbox. I noticed one looked like a credit card statement for this card so opened it immediately.

Oh yes, there were 4 charges for Tesco mobile top ups totally £110!!!

So I rang the helpline, and it gave my balance as now over £145, panic sets in.

I don't even keep the card on me as I don't need to, so it was upstairs in my bedside drawer.

Eventually, after 20 mins they answer the phone. On the account is now another payment for a T Mobile top up and it had just been authorised for paypal.

I must say they were very good. I am not liable for any of the money.... phew! That card has been stopped and a new account and pin on their way. I may have a letter come which I will need to sign to say those charges were not me, and will have to ring them when the card and pin arrive.

Luckily the payments were made only a couple of days before my statement was printed.

But I'm still wondering how they did it? I don't use the card. I shred statements. I've never used that one online, and its been that long since I used it I couldn't tell you what the pin number is.

I'm also assuming they could trace the person as it is a mobile phone and surely you need an address to register for paypal?

Scary.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Hmm... I can't help you, I really have no idea how people do these things. Clever little brats, aren't they?

At least you're not liable for the money.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 07:35 PM
They should be able to trace the top ups and paypal needs an address too. To use a card through paypal, the person has to manually add one to the account.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 07:41 PM
The swines!!!!!!

Its scary how they get hold of our money aint it!!!!

No idea but at least you arent liable!

Alex
xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 07:49 PM
It could be just an error on the credit card company's part as well so may not be fraud. Just happened to one of the lads at work to the tune of 2 tickets to the Dominican Republic and congestion charge fees in London!!!! Was about £2000!!!!! He reported it and filled the forms in but turns out the credit card company had charged it to the wrong account so wasn't fraud at all.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 08:07 PM
My son had £800 taken out of account by Paypal. He did get it all back though.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Tis scary though, and good job I checked so quick.

I once had a connect account with Barclays. I closed it and moved banks and cut up my cards.

18 months later they sent me a letter saying my card had been used in Kingston Upon Thames to the tune of about £13, so could I send them the money!!!

It had apparently been used in a health food shop.

The fraud dept just wrote it off, but I did ask how could the transaction have been approved for an account that had been shut down so long? and as it was way before pin numbers were around that I would like to se the signature.

They said it was probably a manual error, with the wrong number being put in, esp as it was for such a small amount and for health food. They said stolen cards are usually used to buy lots of cigarettes and alcohol (or mobile phone top ups nowadays lol).

Thing is, it just shows how you should check your statements thoroughly.