View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2008, 10:17 PM
A TAP across the nose with two fingers, and a growly "NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY DOG!!!!" usually does the trick.

Snorri
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I smack mines when I feel they are ignoring me,soon gets their attention again.It doesn't hurt them just gets their attention 100% and I can assure you my dogs aint scared of me.

I've never used an E Collar but I believe they can have their uses like everything else,also may I add they shouldn't be available to Joe Soap public,should only be used by qualified dog handlers etc,xxxxxxxxxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I can't see a wee tap making them scared of you but, it does depend on the dog and if you owned him all of his life, or is he a rescue.
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I would rather my dogs respect me through good leadership than fear me
my thoughts as well
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I believe in making more noise and body posturing to get the message across but I dont feel that a smack on the rump is anything that will cause them to fear you. Im not one for beating (one of my dogs is a rescue from such a situation) however Im not opposed to a spanking.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2008, 12:43 AM
When the TZBCs were young dogs, I'd smack their bums, saying "Smack!" while I did it. Now, they know what it means, so when I say it now, all mischief snaps to a stop

Snorri
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2008, 07:41 AM
I don't and never would hit my dogs as punishment, raising my voice works wonders, and I don't punish anyway, I just put them straight.
Knowing my lot as I do they would be confused by it anyway, as I'm assuming the voice would be raised at the time of hitting the dog and my dogs see a good slapping as a game. They queue up to get their rumps slapped, and we do slap quite firmly as they have muscular rumps. They are not hand shy, quite the opposite in fact.I see no need for slapping and being hand shy to go hand in hand. Milan was quite wary of the OH when she arrived ( we don't know the reasons) but 7 weeks on and she's pushing and shoving to get her turn of a good slapping.
Hitting as punishment would probably only make the dog wary and fearful of people and fear should be avoided at all costs.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 09:06 AM
As with anything, it depends on the dog - my shorthairs would be totally horrified at a wallop, my GSD would take it as an invitation to play. I don`t think there is anything inherently wrong with getting physical - shoving a dog out of the way or blocking it when it tries to rush past but I don`t see the point in trying to hurt it. It doesn`t teach the dog anything except that you are a bully.
Bad as an e-collar - sometimes maybe. Imagine if someone hit a small dog every time it did something `wrong` - that would be as bad. A wallop on the side of a big dog when he`s just snatched a ball out of your hand, leaving teethmarks in your finger, is not IMO.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
I smack mines when I feel they are ignoring me,soon gets their attention again.It doesn't hurt them just gets their attention 100% and I can assure you my dogs aint scared of me.
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
They queue up to get their rumps slapped, and we do slap quite firmly as they have muscular rumps. They are not hand shy, quite the opposite in fact. I see no need for slapping and being hand shy to go hand in hand.
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t think there is anything inherently wrong with getting physical - shoving a dog out of the way or blocking it when it tries to rush past but I don`t see the point in trying to hurt it.
Agree... we "slap" the boys in play, and it is quite firm. We've also slapped and pushed them when playing or when they have got too rough, and also to gain their attention when they are distracted or plaing "deaf".

I suspect if I really did want to hurt them, I'd have to absolutely wallop them, which I wouldn't do.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2008, 09:15 AM
i have only smacked china on a few occassions , generally to get her attention...

By no means is it a hard smack.. i would never hurt my baby girl BUT sometimes when she is focussed on something else she goes deaf and its the only way to get her attention...

Generally its on her rump ...which as someone has said she sometimes enjoys and think you are playing!

i have only smacked her gently across her nose when she got WAY too hyper and left teeth marks in my hand....

she is very gentl but sometimes she forgets how strong her jaw is and its just a reminder to her not to bite too hard... its not hard enought to hurt but enough to startle her...
Page 2 of 64 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »