Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:04 PM

What makes us love our dogs?

Well I know people like widely different things but just wondering why some people build up such a strong bond with an animal like the dog while others couldnt care less for them?
Personally, I dont think its *all* in the bringing up etc as some people who have been brought up well and in loving homes etc still dont fancy having a dog so any thoughts as to why some people adore them and some couldnt give tuppence?

Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I was brought up with 5 sisters and 1 brother, for as long as I can remember I wanted a dog..My parents would not let me have one, saying 7 kids was enough......I think being one of a big family..i needed something that was mine,my friend,my companion..I was determined when I got married I would have my animals, so when my kids were small, we got our first two dogs,my girls I have now go everywhere with me, with a hubby that works away and a son at uni..mygirls are my best friends.They give me unconditional love, companionship and never change towards me....I love my girls to bits and could not imagine life without them....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:15 PM
This is a very interesting question I was brought up in a dog hating family but have gone on to be firmly in love with dogs and anything remotely doggy! Once I had got over my fear of them there was no looking back for me. Sadly my family never changed and because I have dogs my sister no longer speaks to us.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Julie
and because I have dogs my sister no longer speaks to us.
O Julie how sad
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-03-2005, 08:19 PM
We always had a cat and dog growing up and within a month of moving in with OH we had 2 cats and as soon the the kids were old enough we added Star. It just did not feel right without animals about the house for me.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:22 PM
well i had dogs and cats in my family from being 6 and i always wanted a pony from when i was tiny and i got one when i was 13 so i was born loving animals and my mum is animal mad and hates humans! but i have 3 siblings and they all hate animals really. well hate is a bit strong but they would rather i went to theirs since we had max! where as my mum spenjt more on max for xmas than she did on any of us and actually visits more now we have the dog! i dont know what the answer is but all my kids adore animals as well so i think some experience in your childhood has a strong bearing on it
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:22 PM
We always had dogs in the family too- right from when I was first born and it was a foregone conclusion (for me anyway) that my own kids would also be brought up with dogs as it seemed the most natural thing in the world
I feel such a strong affection for mine and it makes me wonder why some people dislike them

my sis isnt really an animal lover though and she was brought up just the same as me .......
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Well i love my dogs because they love me more than TOH LOL
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2005, 08:26 PM
growing up we had lots of cats and a dog. i dont remember much from when i was little, but when my parents split up having a cat around made everyday things easier, meaning i had someone to talk to and they r jus always there as faithful companions when family are unpredictable.

i always wanted somethin that was my own and all the cats we had were said to be ours. Like, our cat charlie was my bros, maria was mine, and foster was my other bros. When i moved out, i again wanted a companion that was mine, and its nice to have a companion whos faithful

Do u think maybe those with a secure upbringing dont feel the need to have animals around? like they have no purpose
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-03-2005, 08:31 PM
I feel if you are an animal lover you are and will be all your life. upbringing has no part in it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >