View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:21 PM
write to all th BYBs and puppy farmers who rely on puppy sales to do that then !!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
OK,without splitting hairs, Rescues are full of crossbreeds, mongrels and unethically bred dogs, as apposed to Ethically bred dogs from good breeders.
Dogs from so called Ethical breeds (those recommended by the breed clubs) do end up in rescue. The main problem is bybs but it's incorrect to say good breeders don't add to the unwanted dog crisis.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Until their are laws that make all breeders responsible for everything that they bred then this will continue to happen.
To me a start would be to ensure all dogs are microchipped and the breeder is logged as part of the permanent record. That way any that end up in rescue can be seen as to where they came from originally. Then rescues can start sending bills to those breeders for the cost of rehoming what they bred!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Dogs from so called Ethical breeds (those recommended by the breed clubs) do end up in rescue. The main problem is bybs but it's incorrect to say good breeders don't add to the unwanted dog crisis.
Please point to where I said Ethical breeders DON'T contribute to the unwanted dog situation ???

The original question was :
Who is responsible for producing most of the unwanted dogs?

It would be impossible that ethical breeders produce the most, as puppy farmers produce more than 10 ethical breeders put together !!

In my breed alone, last year, there were nearly 900 puppies produced and 75 % of them by one single puppy farmer. Their older breeding dogs and unwanted puppies, and their sold problem/sick puppies go through various rescues all the time. I think it was roughly 10% of those 900 puppies that were produced by Ethical breeders. The rest was by other puppy farmers and BYBs !!!

So even if 1 puppy from every single litter ended up in a rescue, YES puppy farmers and BYBs would be the ones RESPONSIBLE FOR PRODUCING MOST OF THE UNWANTED DOGS !!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Until their are laws that make all breeders responsible for everything that they bred then this will continue to happen.
To me a start would be to ensure all dogs are microchipped and the breeder is logged as part of the permanent record. That way any that end up in rescue can be seen as to where they came from originally. Then rescues can start sending bills to those breeders for the cost of rehoming what they bred!
Becky
This still wouldn't trace who bred the dogs.

Puppy farmers who are long established know all the ways around things, how to fiddle paperwork and use false names, and register puppies in relatives names, so you would be no better off.

Microchipping will only be effective if a Law states that it is compulsory by the BREEDER, which it isn't.

Also many rescues and police stations, and Vets don't have a scanner, so can't scan dogs, hence many dogs only finding their true owners a long time after being picked up and eventually scanned.

There is also the argument from many breeders of large breeds, that don't like chipping puppies, because of their growth rate and chips moving around.

The way around it is to make those who breed more responsible through law, as Puppy Farming isnt illegal !
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Personally I would like to see a temporary ban on all breeding whilst the unwanted dog crisis is sorted out. Once this has been achieved have a set number of dogs for each breeds imported, pre health checked, temperament checked etc. A set number of ethical breeders for each breed which would be licenced and closely monitored, and only allowed to breed a set number of pups each year.

That's my dream
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
write to all th BYBs and puppy farmers who rely on puppy sales to do that then !!
what about reputable breeders they are not making money?
oh no I forgot they are just making sure we have a better class of strays!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Problem with that is that the gene pool in many breeds will be so severely impacted that it would be immoral to continue to breed.
Becky
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
what about reputable breeders they are not making money?
oh no I forgot they are just making sure we have a better class of strays!!

I've bred 5 litters myself and I would say that I am still thousands of £'s down on that. My last litter didn't even break even lol!
Becky
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've bred 5 litters myself and I would say that I am still thousands of £'s down on that. My last litter didn't even break even lol!
Becky
so why do you breed? I am sorry I dont understand the breeding thing I only ever rescue
Jayne
Page 7 of 42 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »