View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Don't be worried, she's a crossbreed and that's that. Choose that option.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Your all right thank you I'll choose the option and think no more of it.
I just wanted to know if anyone knew why they didn't insure because it didn't give an explanation.
I know there's some stigma about this cross of dog, but I didn't think it would effect insurance because both breeds are legal.
Kerryowner - I was thinking that might be the reason as I've heard bulldogs have lots of health problems but thought it was too mean of them, then again that's how they make their money xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Your all right thank you I'll choose the option and think no more of it.
I just wanted to know if anyone knew why they didn't insure because it didn't give an explanation.
I know there's some stigma about this cross of dog, but I didn't think it would effect insurance because both breeds are legal.
Kerryowner - I was thinking that might be the reason as I've heard bulldogs have lots of health problems but thought it was too mean of them, then again that's how they make their money xx
But you had already expressed concerns that your dog may be mistaken for a pitbull, so I am struggling why you did not register your dog at the vet as a crossbreed and with the insurance as one?

So you are already aware that your dog could be at risk, so why not down play it as much as possible?

The way insurance works is on the balance or probabilities based on actual facts etc. It has nothing to do with "meanness"
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But you had already expressed concerns that your dog may be mistaken for a pitbull, so I am struggling why you did not register your dog at the vet as a crossbreed and with the insurance as one?

So you are already aware that your dog could be at risk, so why not down play it as much as possible?

The way insurance works is on the balance or probabilities based on actual facts etc. It has nothing to do with "meanness"
I had concerns she would be mistaken for pit bull because of her appearance when she's older and I don't have proof of what she is, but as for staff cross american bulldog I know there's a stigma about it yes, but there's no legal document to say the cross is banned, so I didn't think it would matter to insurance.
'Pit bull type' dogs are banned but it doesn't state what type of dogs are classed as pitbull types so I thought this law was appearance based only, its very confusing.
Sad because when I got her I had no idea, wouldn't swap her for the world but I should of done more research, was looking for a staff and found her seen she was am cross staff and knowing both breeds where legal didn't think anything of it.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Im with more than with my x breed, they ask you to pick which breed your dog is a cross off, but just one...

I picked staff cross first = 15 per month, then tried basset cross = 32 per month. No prizes for guessing which x she is on her insurance
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Im with more than with my x breed, they ask you to pick which breed your dog is a cross off, but just one...

I picked staff cross first = 15 per month, then tried basset cross = 32 per month. No prizes for guessing which x she is on her insurance
Haha silly really isn't it, ofcourse people are going to choose the cheapest option. Should of went for mixed breed straight away and saved my headache x
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by misskatie20 View Post
Haha silly really isn't it, ofcourse people are going to choose the cheapest option. Should of went for mixed breed straight away and saved my headache x
Exactly, no matter what option I chose I wouldnt have been lying, shes still the same dog, just one breed was her mum and one her dad, seems just an odd little thing about insurance More than are good I think though, Ive claimed on her policy with no problems. One massive downside side is you have to pay 10% of the bill youself though. x
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2012, 08:44 AM
my american bulldog cross staff is insured with the pdsa most insurers i rang wouldnt insure if full american bulldog but would a cross i didnt have a problem
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-01-2012, 11:30 AM
That's good to know x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-01-2012, 01:10 PM
You also have to read the policy, in particular the exclusion list - often they list a number of breeds and say they (or crosses) of them are excluded.

Have you got any photos of her?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >