Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I prefer a potnoodle myself ..
Hahahha, my fault for spelling mistake!! I shall correct that!! However, look at this lovely fur baby:

Of course , I do not know how much variety there is in looks, that is a pic I found on a Google image search.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I didn't see it. We've come across a few Labradoodles recently and they all seemed to have lovely temperaments; they were lovely dogs. Is that typical?
No, they are no more 'lovely temperaments' than any other type of dog, there are still the aggressive, over demanding, meek and mild etc etc.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Apparently Labrdadoodles first came to the UK because Guide Dogs for the Blind were developing them for asmatic blind people, they wanted the lab temperment and poodle coat. Makes sense to me....of course it's getting a bit silly now we have Sprollies, Sprockers, Bullshihtz and the rest . They are still cross breeds with fancy names, but I think the Labradoodles background makes a lot of sense. I have no problem with mutts (I own one!) I do have a problem with people breeding "designer crossbreeds" without much though then idiots paying thousands of pounds and insisting that their Cockapoo is a pedigree breed because both it's parents (or different breeds!) were pedigree
Incorrect, they were first crossed in Australia in an attempt to create a non moulting guide dog, it was a failure and the person who originally did the cross regrets giving them a name and causing this 'fad'. If you want a dog that doesn't moult get a no-moulting breed, there is no need to cross two breeds with all the variables that that produces.

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
They also mentioned Goldendoodles, amongst other breeds.
They aren't a breed! They are a cross or multi cross pure and simple!

Hahahha, my fault for spelling mistake!! I shall correct that!! However, look at this lovely fur baby:

Of course , I do not know how much variety there is in looks, that is a pic I found on a Google image search.
The picture you showed is not typical, they can have a wide variety of coats as well.

They can be incredibly difficult to control and many have a very high prey drive.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:34 PM
For every non-moulting dog from one of these crossbred litters there will be one that does moult. Did you ever wonder what happens to them?
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Didn't watch it. I can't see how it can be positive about a breed that doesn't exist!
Becky
Why can only recognised KC breeds be positive? Where did OP or the programme that you didn't wathc call them a breed?
Well, it told us why the dogs were crossed in the first place, which was a good reason (obviously this is subjective to opinions as is everything of course), also it showed a family who had always wanted a dog, they could not have one as the son has asthma , and has to be on a machine for it, they bought one of these dogs (three hair types ) the type with the hair least likely to cause a reaction. The bond he had with this dog was fabulous to see.

TBH , it was refreshing to see 'Designer' dogs in a positive light.
Obviously having 2 we are biased, but remember there is no guarantee they won't moult; as for the training often they are quite hard to train because according to these professional trainers they have Poodle in them and SPs are stubborn and willful which explains why. This information has come from people who train dogs for Guide Dogs and Disabled Dogs and who train them day in day out.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
For every non-moulting dog from one of these crossbred litters there will be one that does moult. Did you ever wonder what happens to them?
Well people who don't have allergy problems have them; we have one who does shed a bit and one who doesn't at all but we didn't get them as non-shedding dogs and people who do research before getting these dogs (like responsible dog owners would) would find that the non-shedding is not guaranteed and less than 60% don't shed.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
No, they are no more 'lovely temperaments' than any other type of dog, there are still the aggressive, over demanding, meek and mild etc etc.

Incorrect, they were first crossed in Australia in an attempt to create a non moulting guide dog, it was a failure and the person who originally did the cross regrets giving them a name and causing this 'fad'. If you want a dog that doesn't moult get a no-moulting breed, there is no need to cross two breeds with all the variables that that produces.

They aren't a breed! They are a cross or multi cross pure and simple!

The picture you showed is not typical, they can have a wide variety of coats as well.

They can be incredibly difficult to control and many have a very high prey drive.
Becky
If you got your way what would you do with the Labradoodles that you so obviously hate Mahooli?? Put them down? Make a bonfire with them? You have so much hatred and dislike for them which is YOUR choice but should someone object to your breeds and the fireworks start....YAWN same old, same old!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:56 PM
It did mention that there are three different coat types and that the one of them has less dander than the other two.

Ref the man that started the breed, it did not say he regretted it but since Becky mentioned it , I have found a link. It does say that one in the litter was 'allergy free':

'While working for the Royal Guide Dog Association of Australia in the early 1980s, Conran was contacted by a vision-impaired woman in Hawaii. She needed an allergy-free guide dog since her husband had allergies to dogs. Though no breed is completely hypoallergenic, Conran decided to try crossing a poodle with a lab. Once he found a trainable poodle with a good temperament, he mated it to the lab and three puppies were born. The vision-impaired woman’s husband learned that just one puppy was allergy free.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle..._designer.html

The things is, if it is allowing people to own dogs, who would not be allowed otherwise, then surely that is a good thing. I imagine alot of people get them because they like the look, so I can't see puppies being culled (I think this is what you meant ClaireandDaisy?) in this day and age, well I certainly hope they are not.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Well people who don't have allergy problems have them; we have one who does shed a bit and one who doesn't at all but we didn't get them as non-shedding dogs and people who do research before getting these dogs (like responsible dog owners would) would find that the non-shedding is not guaranteed and less than 60% don't shed.
The guy I work with who has one, they bought the dog because his wife and children fell in love with one they had seen. As you have said, nothing to do with lack of shedding or allergy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I imagine alot of people get them because they like the look, so I can't see puppies being culled (I think this is what you meant ClaireandDaisy?) in this day and age, well I certainly hope they are not.
No I think they are sold on to unsuspecting numpties as doodles. I`ve seen a fair few doodles who could be the offspring of just about any dog, TBH. Including one who was a Lurcher, or I`m a dutchman.
I like mutts (mongrels, crossbreeds, heinz 57 whatever) but calling them daft names and pretending they`re something special is a marketing ploy.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No I think they are sold on to unsuspecting numpties as doodles. I`ve seen a fair few doodles who could be the offspring of just about any dog, TBH. Including one who was a Lurcher, or I`m a dutchman.
I like mutts (mongrels, crossbreeds, heinz 57 whatever) but calling them daft names and pretending they`re something special is a marketing ploy.
I agree with that part definitely and have said so on here frequently.
Page 2 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »