Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2012, 09:07 PM

The last trip

Sorry for it to be a maudlin post, but it is something that has been playing on my mind for a while now - probably because I have two elderly dogs

What do you all think about staying with your dog while they are pts? I have stayed with mine so far, but I get very, very upset and I am scared I might actually be distressing the dog. I am wondering whether it might be kinder if I were to say my goodbyes and then leave the dog with my hubby while the deed is done. My overriding feeling is that it is my duty to be there, but I just wonder if I am doing more harm than good.

Thoughts.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Difficult I have stayed with mine too. I do wonder if maybe I upset them but at the end of the day I just have to stay to give them the last cuddle and speak softly to them.
I know if I didn't I would feel a 1000 times worse than I felt already.
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes, i was there when we had to put Shadow down...actually he was in my arms, as he had been so many times before in his 13 years. For me there was no question that we would do it at home where he felt the most comfortable, surrounded by his family.
I knew at 8:30 a.m. what we had to do and that gave my son time to get home, as well as my husband, and spend quality time with Shadow. The vet came at 6:30p.m. I can't deny it was the hardest day of my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. Shadow gave us so much in his 13 years...that's the least I could do.
You need to do what is best for you...maybe have friends or family to be there as well so you can have moral support. Just a thought
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

I have done , i tried to close her eyes and the vet told me they will not close , that hit me ...
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I've stayed with mine so far. I wouldn't feel right not doing so to be honest. Both have seemed very calm and not at all worried by what's going on despite me being in tears.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Noooooooooo, it's an absolute must I feel Kirsty, and although you think you'll be upset and upset the dog, it really doesn't happen that way, when you absolutely KNOW in your heart, that you are doing the right thing for your dog and ending its suffering.

I've had to do this sooooo many times now, whilst Dave hides away in another room, usually with another dog of ours, although the last time of course with old Georgieboy, all on my own and instead of being at home where we usually are, I was at the vets. Yet again, my inner strength kept me from letting him know what was happening, until the injection started to take effect and he made noises, then I broke down as I spoke to him, but the vet assured me, that when that was happening he had already gone and knew nothing except the way he always knew me.

I honestly think it would haunt you if you weren't there I really, really do, but of course, sometimes you just can't.

Now I've said all of that, and I look down at my beautiful 4 yr old soul mate lying here at my feet and I wonder..........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Everyone has to make their own choice, but for me it's simple, I owe it to my dogs to be there on their final journey.

As hard and difficult as it is, the last thing they should see is someone who loves them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I know in my heart of hearts that I must be there for them. After all, they have been there for me for so many years. I must just try not to break down before they have passed
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I know in my heart of hearts that I must be there for them. After all, they have been there for me for so many years. I must just try not to break down before they have passed
I think we all fear that but somehow you find the strength to get you through those last few minutes till they are gone then you can break down and sob.

I really don't know how I got through Max's or Ollie's I was in bits before we left the house I remember hanging onto the bathroom sink before we took Ollie trying to find the strength to get out of the door.
I did and somehow kept it together I think you go onto automatic pilot.

Neither seemed to pick up on the way and while we waited that anything was happening or how upset inside I was feeling.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Gosh this has made me cry, remembering all those that went before. I have always always been there with them. Little blue dobie Piaf who was always so scared, pts due to DM, but the vet said she had done well to make it to 11, she passed over at home as she couldn't have coped with the vets, my dobies, April, Prince and Raffiqua all pts at the vets with my arms around them. Tawney pts in Bristol as she had yet another stroke at Bristol Temple Meads station on our way back from my (now ex) OH, she couldn't get up, so OH came out of work with his friend and we took her on her last journey. So many of them, all of them took a peace of me with them. Now my Norty Girls are 7 next time, and I am beginning to think about the unthinkable. They deserve the dignity of a decent calm, kind, quiet end, and for you to be there with them, after all they have given you their all haven't they, not a lot to ask in my opinion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »