Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Public Transport

As im not (yet) a driver i still need to take harvey around on public transport, usually we walk places and if needed we get a taxi so the other day was Harvey's first experience on a bus i was so excited for him, i know im pathetic he seemed fine i was always wary of how he would react. We stood in the wee bit on the bus at the front for prams and wheelchairs it was night time so not many people were there and it was only 5min journey but he seemed to enjoy. When we got off he seemed a bit disorientated as if how did we get here so fast lol. So next up the Train!!! i would like to take him to the beach or away for the day. Anyone else used public transport with their dog and how they got on?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I used the bus once with Vegas when i walked him into town,had a few too many drinkies at various pubs and couldnt be arsed to walk back.The bus driver didnt look entirely happy when we got aboard,but he never said anything.I was wearing sunglasses though so perhaps he thought Vegas was my guide dog...

I cant even get a taxi back now cause the only one which used to allow Vegas into his minibus has been sent down for stabbing someone.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I cant even get a taxi back now cause the only one which used to allow Vegas into his minibus has been sent down for stabbing someone.
Evening Steve, I used to live in PFEA and shocked to hear this, still I suppose it could happen anywhere nowadays. Hope you can persuade one of the other taxis to take Vegas.

PS
Tori, there's another thread somewhere comparing public transport with dogs in UK & Ozz which migh help you but i can't find it right now, sorry.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Yep, Diesel has done the bus, the train and the underground, he's fine with it and loves all the attention he gets. I took Ruby for her first trip on a bus today and she just laid down and went to sleep

I think it is a good social experience for them
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I take my two on the bus and train often-don't have any choice

They have always been fine with it and as someone has already said it's a good social experience
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
PS
Tori, there's another thread somewhere comparing public transport with dogs in UK & Ozz which migh help you but i can't find it right now, sorry.
Thanks i'll have nosey about.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2007, 01:32 PM
I took Blackie on a short trip on a bus, he thought it was great! All those people to go and pester but he lay down eventually, the only thing I found was when the driver accelerated and braked he was sliding around a bit, does this happen with your dogs. I had to keep his lead fairly tight to try and help him.

Ian
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
Yep, Diesel has done the bus, the train and the underground, he's fine with it and loves all the attention he gets. I took Ruby for her first trip on a bus today and she just laid down and went to sleep

I think it is a good social experience for them
What must sound like a really dumb question are dogs allowed on trains/buses/underground in London - I might be moving back there......
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
I the only thing I found was when the driver accelerated and braked he was sliding around a bit, does this happen with your dogs. I had to keep his lead fairly tight to try and help him.
Yeah he was sliding about a bit and it wasn't helping that there was an empty fish and chips wrapper he was interested in.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by sweetveronica View Post
What must sound like a really dumb question are dogs allowed on trains/buses/underground in London - I might be moving back there......

Yes they are on the buses it tends to be at the drivers discretion but i have never had any say no
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >