Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2007, 05:22 AM

Dog's and public transport

I have read a couple of threads here and have been surprised that you can actually get a taxi and transport your dog in it!

In Australia, there is a "no pet" rule.

The only exception is a "guide dog for the blind" or a "hearing ear for the deaf".

They have to wear "special" harnesses, and have to be well documented.

Those of us who don't have a car, have to rely on neighbours or friends to transport our animals to the vet - either that or walk.

Our vets don't do home visits either, unless you have large animals - and then that costs you an arm and a leg.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 06:22 AM
That sucks. Me and Rupert regularly travel by bus and have only ever had one complaint. Someone told the driver he was running up and down upstairs and biting people. He wasn't, he was standing by my side being petted by the couple sitting opposite. We got made to leave the bus though Costs me 50p to take him on the bus. Trains are free though.

A lot of taxis here have no dogs signs up I have to phone up and book one and make sure I tell them I'll have a dog with me rather than walk to the taxi rank 2 minutes away.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 07:06 AM
we also have a pet taxi service near me, a private firm of dog walkers/ pet sitters who run a taxi service too. not used them as yet but nice to know they are there.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:13 AM
gosh that is terrible, where i live your dog can travel on the bus for free and the train too, although i did get a shock when i rang one bus company and they said they charged 35p for a dog to travel on the bus you can take 2 dogs on the trains and one on the bus
i am disgusted that you can't take a dog in a taxi!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:26 AM
I've never taken Max on public transport but when I visit a friend of mine who lives in London it always makes me smile when I see the signs in the underground stating that dogs must be carried on the escalators. I'd like to see me carrying Max (50kg) on an escalator
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Majuka,
Yes, that made me smile too. As you know it is a 'safety issue' (The 'combs' at the top & bottom of the escalators could very easily injure a dogs paws)

If anyone needs to take a large dog on the Tube (And I saw many guide dogs on underground trains) don't worry, wherever there is an escalator there has to be stairs. That's a 'safety' issue as well.

Ozzmutt - That is indeed a shame, I always thought the Aussies were very easy going. Is the 'No Pets' thing the law or is it a self imposed thing? If the latter then perhaps a friendly word with one or two of the drivers might change their mind, just a thought.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
i agree with sarah thats awful .
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi all ,

Reading this made me remember something and I had to share it with you.

My late husband, Harry, was a taxi driver and because he was a dog lover he didn't mind having dogs in his cab.

One day he had a call for a job and June, the telephone lady, said "oh Harry, it's a lady and two medium - ish dogs, that ok?"

Harry said "yeah fine"

When he got there, a woman came out and she had two GREAT DANES with her !

She said "Thank you ever so much, no other cabbie would take me".

They (the dogs) got in the back and the woman got in the front, and Harry said that they both rested their heads on his shoulders, and decided to lick his ears for the journey!

When he'd dropped her off, he radioed June and said, "I thought you said they were medium - ish dogs".

She said " They were - medium-ish to absolutely huge-ish, but I knew you wouldn't mind" !!

Regards

Radar
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I regular take my dogs on the buses, like already said 50pence, unless I know the driver and then they dont charge, trains are free take mine on to visit friends (at one time they used to be child fare unless it was crated and you could carry on). I also use taxis, the black cabs take them and also some drivers with estate cars. I only got refused once because the driver was scared, complained to the company and all they said it was the drivers discretion.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Radar
Nice story, "resting their head on his shoulders and licking his ears"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >