21-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Health Warning issued - New Forest

Just came across this on BBC news site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820926
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2014, 03:13 PM
I heard this mentioned on the news this morning and was unsure if 'Alabama Rot' is yet another new illness or a variation of 'Canine Seasonal Illness' which suddenly appeared a few years ago

http://www.aht.org.uk/cms-display/sci_clinsigns.html
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Yes I heard this on Radio Sussex this morning. They interviewed a vet who said dogs come in with a round sore on their leg about the size of a 10p piece, and then a couple of weeks later, they end up vomiting. A lot of dogs have already died I must read up on this, but you could be right Meg, I will look at both links. Glad you've posted this up, you can't have too much information with something as scarey as this, let's hope they find out the cause and soon.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-01-2014, 05:27 PM
That's so sad

I have never heard of it before and like him, would have cleaned up the cut and thought nothing of it.

The video is also a poignant reminder of just how much our dogs mean to us - you can clearly see that Barney was a loved member of the family.
Meg
Supervisor

21-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I have done a little searching around and it looks like this is another new disease in addition to Canine Seasonal Illness which also seems to start with a walk in the woods

This is a case of the new disease 'Alabama Rot' which occurred recently near where I live as reported in the local paper.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/...threat/?ref=ms

..note this section..
Following the shoot Mr Smith put the two trail dogs in the kennels giving them a warm feed and leaving them under the light. He took the house dog Judy inside where she was bathed.

Mr Smith believes the bathing is what saved Judy’s life.

“She has recovered 100 per cent,” he said. “The biggest thing I have said and the vet backs up is bathing seems to be the best form of prevention.

“The two that were in the kennel groomed themselves and we think it was ingested. We are fairly certain it’s a condition called Alabama skin rot.”
So washing the legs after a walk in the woods may be a good idea. I have to do this with Chloe anyway because of the thick mud which surrounds us at the moment .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2014, 07:42 PM
I agree Meg, having read both the links, it does seem completely different doesn't it. Thank goodness I always get the hose out on Zena's legs and underbelly on a return from every walk, and I shall continue doing so having read that.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

22-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Is this the same thing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gs-16-die.html
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 11:56 AM
Sad... kinda of reminds me of leptospirosis. Causes acute and severe kidney failure. Also caused by a pathogen.

The lesions on the legs are the only thing that is different. However, I cannot find any photos of what these lesions look like. Also, I'm slightly confused on one thing...

Does the dog get a cut that lets the bacteria in... or do the lesions come from the disease manifesting itself? Very confused here

It says the lesions are always on the lower legs, so it's making more sense that the lesions are a symptom of the disease rather than the direct cause of it... right?

I'm American and there is no mention of this here, but still I'd like to know exactly what's going on.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 12:21 PM
It comes apparently from a certain strain of e-coli. My OH has been in email contact with one of the vets who has flagged up this "Alabama rot", because he is wondering whether it may be as a consequence of biosolids becoming more and more widespread on farmland across the UK. It would appear that rabbits play a significant part in transmitting the pathogens from human biosolids and also bovine manure used as a fertiliser - both carry e-coli of course, and many of you will remember, both our dogs contracted giardia from direct contact with biosolids spread on the farmland at the back of our house. H - you too of course have suffered with canine giardia in your dogs. It will be interesting to discover what OH can find out in his researches.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Oh yes Nikki, I know all about that! I'm obsessed with the tv channels which broadcast the *Monsters inside you* and the *bugs, worms and parasites* programmes, I know all about the little critters that are about, but I've never heard of this new condition.

I do remember the vet they interviewed on the radio yesterday morning, saying it was like a 10p ROUND sore on a leg, and then about 2 weeks later, the dog would be represented to them showing signs of severe vomiting, and kidney failure with the ones who died

I shall continue to wash Zena's legs with the hose when I get back from every walk that's for sure. Thankfully, I don't have to walk on any land nowadays that has had human manure spread all over it by the farmers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >