A lesson for anglers and dog owners :(

From our local paper

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.u...ail/story.html

What a dreadful thing to happen.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Oh how tragic. Poor dog and family. So unnecessary!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Very sad

I remember one of my previous Springers (Beau) being frantic, rubbing his nose on the carpet all day long. I just thought he'd picked up some nettle stings but on closer inspection I saw a tiny little dot which was barely visible.

To cut a long story short the fishing hook had somehow gone right in and because it was a barbed hook the vet had to make a slit to take it out.

Unfortunately it's all to easy to get your fishing tackle snagged and snapped off in bushes and it can be impossible to retrieve.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 01:09 PM
It happened on Back Beach apparently. One of my favourite west country spots and somewhere I used to think I'd like to live eventually. I used to walk my Cavvy there a lot and didn't give a thought to this sort of danger.

I've known swans to die or suffer from swallowing hooks and line but not dogs. I'm guessing there might have been a bit of 'bait' on it.

How very heartbreaking that he couldn't be saved.

Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 01:22 PM
It is sad and a reminder of the dangers. There are often stories in our papers of swans and sea birds getting tangled or poisoned by discarded fishing tackle.
I remember only too well my daughter sitting on a discarded hook on the rocks one day when she was about 5. She had to go to hospital to have it removed from her bottom. I have to say it has become a bit of a family joke.
Tang, I love back beach too.......just think we could have been neighbours
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Terribly sad and totally unnecessary. How awful for the dog and how dreadfully distressing for Perkins' owners.

Unfortunately we see all to often swans, ducks, and geese with fishing line attached to them and hooks stuck in them. Fortunately we have a fantastic swan sanctuary only a few miles away who will come to the rescue of these poor creatures. Barned hooks are actually banned on the Thames I just wish the fishermen would abide by the rules and also take all their equipment back with them ... so many just discard their lines when damaged. So so sad.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 03:59 PM
How sad. Hopefully the article will open the eyes of fishermen to be more careful with the hooks and line.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2014, 08:25 PM
i am a avid fisherman and of course dog owner

most of the hooks and line you see snagged in rocks led in the sand and that birds pick up are bits that have been caught up and have been snapped off, there is nothing we can do when this happens,
sadly though there are also fishermen who just descard line or cut the line when they hook birds,
i have hooked an adult swan as well as 3 signets this year, i reeled then all in and made sure they were unhooked,
the adult had 2 other traces that i unhooked where people had just cut them off
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
It is sad and a reminder of the dangers. There are often stories in our papers of swans and sea birds getting tangled or poisoned by discarded fishing tackle.
I remember only too well my daughter sitting on a discarded hook on the rocks one day when she was about 5. She had to go to hospital to have it removed from her bottom. I have to say it has become a bit of a family joke.
Tang, I love back beach too.......just think we could have been neighbours
Dagnammit I am now REMINISCING about Back Beach Nippy. One of my favourite places on earth - having visited quite a lot of places on earth.

It was one of these I thought I'd buy. Have to say never been there with the tide in that far. I'd walk old Charlie Girl around and in among the boats moored there.

And we were neighbours for about 5 yrs when I lived in Paignton!
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-01-2014, 10:42 PM
This is sad . Darwin ate a fish hook and wire a few years ago and cost nearly £2000 but luckily for us the wire was sticking out of his stomach lining when the vet opened him up so they could follow that to locate where the hook had burrowed .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >