register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: would you pay for an off lead walk for your dog while in kennels
Yes! everyday 17 47.22%
Yes every other day 5 13.89%
Only once or twice durin their stay 2 5.56%
No, not atall 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Well obviously the 50 mins (assuming that takes them an hour by the time they go to paddock) exercise would be £5.00 plus you pay about £10-15 a night here for one large dog in kennels and the lead walks in kennels lasts about 10 mins each twice a day.

one person can walk 15 dogs and clean 15 kennels (while the other alternates), do feeds, meds, 'scoop' runs, hose runs, squeeggee (sp? lol) runs, let dogs out to runs, take in the food bowls (water bowls are swapped and filled at clean), gates open, quick spray/brush dogs going out that morning and wash dishes while waiting on pick ups when gates open around 11am?

Thats if they start around 7am work till say 12pm?
Thats the morning shift done with two people for 5 hours, covering 15 dogs.
5 x 5.93 = £29.65 x 2 = £59.30

gates closed for afternoon - kennel owner has time for supervising off-lead exercise - numbers restricted/limited spaces and cant be booked for this on day they are leaving. Paddock split into two secure areas. 3 hours plus one staff = 5.93 x 3 = 17.79 wages out and £30 in.

next shift with two workers = £59.30

total costs without off-lead exercise = £118.60 on wages for £300. (if £10 for each dog)

136.39 wages
330. income

I provide food at the kennels I used last time I had to use them. Thats on the tenner a night and its more like 15 here by now I think.
So these kennels do not open until 11 am?

All the kennels I know open at 9 at the latest, quite a lot at 8.30 am.

They do not close during the day, at all.

The gates are closed at 6 pm.

Tax, National Insurance, electricity, phone, gas, water, waste, training, licence, depreciation of assets, Fire Risk Assessment, Manual Handling, PPE, General Risk Assessments, Training for staff, fuel, vehicle, road tax, MOT, servicing, Electricity Installation check 5 yearly, portable electrical equipment check annually, ELI, public liability insurance

When you run a business you have to factor in all these overheads and more before you get a true picture of income v outgoings......
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I dont use a big kennel, infact dont use at all really but when I do I use a kennels that has about 6 kennels and she walks them herself, no teens etc.

The other kennels are hired by RAF and the dogs are out working and basically sleep there in their kennels and are fed/watered/cleaned when not out.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
So these kennels do not open until 11 am?

All the kennels I know open at 9 at the latest, quite a lot at 8.30 am.

They do not close during the day, at all.

The gates are closed at 6 pm.
not here they dont!! Only open the rest of the time by prior arrangement and if you miss the morning pick up and pick up in afternoon slot you pay for another day.

If someone calls and needs to drop off at 7AM and will not put them in the night before then it is by appointment (cant remember if you get charged another day for that?)

PS thats a bigger kennel Im talking about
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:17 PM
not here they dont!! Only open the rest of the time by prior arrangement and if you miss the morning pick up and pick up in afternoon slot you pay for another day.

An excellent illustration of how one person's ideas do not translate into everyone's experience.

I do not know of any kennels that can afford to operate in the manner you describe.

So what you win on the swings you lose on the roundabouts.

So these kennels might suit YOU, for the free running, it would not suit ME as I cannot keep to a time slot.

Just another demonstration of the number of permutations there are and how some things are higher up the agenda of some clients and lower for others.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
An excellent illustration of how one person's ideas do not translate into everyone's experience.

I do not know of any kennels that can afford to operate in the manner you describe.

So what you win on the swings you lose on the roundabouts.

So these kennels might suit YOU, for the free running, it would not suit ME as I cannot keep to a time slot.

Just another demonstration of the number of permutations there are and how some things are higher up the agenda of some clients and lower for others.
yep, in an ideal world I would pay for my dog to have 1 hour plus exercise a day, in reality if a dog needs to be taken to the vet could I guarantee he would not have lost that hour?
They charge £10+ for transport if the dog goes the 10 min trip to the vets or local pick up.

please note my earlier post, I do not use a large kennel!!
Only know how ONE of the bigger ones works!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
yep, in an ideal world I would pay for my dog to have 1 hour plus exercise a day, in reality if a dog needs to be taken to the vet could I guarantee he would not have lost that hour?
Exactly.

I pass a kennels on my way to work every day (well actually I pass two~) and it advertises that its dogs go out on walks every day.

I happened to be in a field 3 fields away all day on a Saturday in August. The dogs did go out, they went 100 yards down the lane, emptied themselves on the verge, and went back in again........

And I can quote a few other examples.

I am sure there ARE kennels out there that spend hours tramping the fields with their charges, but even so, I prefer my dogs to be where I have paid for them to be; in a maximum security wing kennel block with minimal risk of escape.

But that is just my personal view.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I voted No simply because the few times mine have been in kennels they have had the pleasure free of charge. We have been lucky that the one we used already have a paddock which mine have been taken into for a free run and play
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Exactly.

I pass a kennels on my way to work every day (well actually I pass two~) and it advertises that its dogs go out on walks every day.

I happened to be in a field 3 fields away all day on a Saturday in August. The dogs did go out, they went 100 yards down the lane, emptied themselves on the verge, and went back in again........

I am sure there ARE kennels out there that spend hours tramping the fields with their charges, but even so, I prefer my dogs to be where I have paid for them to be; in a maximum security wing kennel block with minimal risk of escape.

......yip!!!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Jake never goes into kennels, and i don't plan on him ever being in them. His vaccinations aren't up to date anyway, but i still wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him in kennels and tbh, i think he would struggle to cope. Thankfully, i have a few people i can leave him with, who i trust, although he would still only be getting onlead walks.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit happy leaving him for 2 weeks with no exercise and spending the whole time in a kennel.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Exactly.

Well I totally disagree with you, and I suspect that I am not in the minority. To deprive a dog of exercise is the 3rd worse thing you could possibly do, after water and food deprivation. Especially bearing in mind your dogs are large.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »