View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi its was Val Berry I used to train with with Eric now sadley no longer with us and kadie her musterlanda cross and her old dogs sadley not with us Thomas and Tilly She has now Greg and a pup collie cross poodle not seen her for a while but we are great friends and still keep in touch
Michelle
kelpiemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2010, 09:04 PM
HI Lynn
Yes that was me not many people liked that routine it took ages to do though I took allot of the moves from the film and my god working with that dress took some time most people liked cavatina best I haven't done any freestyle for ages but I still train for it my Kelpie bitch was going quite will and has lots of moves but went to pieces when she heard the music well it was the cracking of the speakers at crufts she worked lovely with out the music on perhaps she has sensitive ears I have a kelpie dog as well he is very keen to work so I might have a go with him I have a min pin as well he has more moves than any of them but I haven't had him long and not yet worked him with distractions I might start taking him to a class to see how he copes. I lost heart in competing when I lost my young dog Ziggy she did diamonds are forever and big spender 2004 I would love to get there routines on utube but I have no idea how to do it. It is so good to hear from you . you say you haven't done any thing for a bit How is you spaniel going Funny I was watching one of your routines the other night when I went through my tapes I am trying to put them on dvd so I can keep them Great to hear from you
Michelle
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by kelpiemad View Post
Hi abbie Thank you for the pics I love them its beautiful to see your lovely dogs working oh I realy want one. you have some striking looking dogs you must be so proud of them you have done realy well with them please keep up the good work
Michelle
Thank you Michelle,

Yes I am very proud of my dogs. I used to showjump and although we had always had dogs, swapped to competing with them about 4 years ago.

I love all my dogs, but would never have another northern inuit. This is not a dig at northern inuits in any way, it is my personal choice of dogs. Don't get me wrong the ni's do love training and competing, but can be very hard work and in my opinion not the ideal choice for an obedience or agility dog.

I will go as far as I can with all of my dogs. I have always been very competitive, but for me it will be belgian shepherds from now on

Best of luck to you and your dogs xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Working in the dress must have been a nightmare!

What a shame about your kelpie and the music. The min pin sounds like fun though, they are seriously cute.

It is devastating to lose a young dog, sorry about Ziggy.

My lilac collie has never really been up for it and he has spent loads of time being injured or ill, has had a toe removed this week.

Etta the springer is 18mths and is doing OK, she had a fourth and a third with a baby routine so now I know she trusts me in the ring and I can trust her we need a better one. She will never really be a heelwork girl but I'll enter it as travelling so far for shows I might as well!

Hannah is doing well and is on dogsey as Tassle---have a look at her photo threads.

Nice to have you here!

rune (lynn)
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by kelpiemad View Post
Hi its was Val Berry I used to train with with Eric now sadley no longer with us and kadie her musterlanda cross and her old dogs sadley not with us Thomas and Tilly She has now Greg and a pup collie cross poodle not seen her for a while but we are great friends and still keep in touch
Michelle
Oh i know Val, she is lovely!
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 07:09 AM
I have Shih Tzu x Maltese that I compete in Agility with. The one thing you cannot do with them is repeat, repeat, like you can with a Border Collie. It makes it harder to train them in a class around here because the only trainer is used to the Border Collie temperament and she would quickly sour my dogs of doing Agility.

My sister and I have built some of our own Agility equipment and we train every other day and for only 15-20 minutes. Remmy has two of his titles and has moved into Masters Jumpers and Master Gamblers this year so we are doing something right.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Working trials obedience has now changed to accomodate collies, when I was a teenager the h/w was with swinging arms and the dogs looking ahead, not any longer.

Er I am unaware of this change and I have been competing in WT since 1993 and judge! It is up to judges to choose how they interpret the rules. When I walk with my dogs, I never swing my arms, however I DO keep them in my pocket, but that would not be considered “natural” by some judges! Also different dogs have different styles, the sport itself has not changed nor have the rules for heelwork. There are lots of breeds other than collies that compete successfully in WT including winning tickets and they do not perform obedience style heelwork necessarily (neither do many collies)!

A lot of people choose to compete with collies as there are many lines to choose from which have proven their worth in obedience. Not ALL are great workers and even if they are they do not pop out of the womb ready trained!

Some breeds will always be more successful at certain sports as they have been genetically programmed for it. Collies and GSD etc tend to do well as unlike say most sighthounds, scenthounds for example they are handler dependant.

You can train ANY breed IF you can find what makes it tick and what motivates it to reach its individual potential, that does not mean of course all could become Ob Ch.

Shortcoated dogs have a disadvantage as it is easier to see any slight deviations in position.

Suzanne Jaffa made up her ASD into an Ob Ch this year and won Crufts with him. A Malinois has a ticket and there is at least one SBT competing in C only. Goldies are often in the cards as well.

Many people start off with any breed of dog but if they want to get to the top they often then buy a tool for the job, often this is a collie, but not always. There are various things to consider when competing in any discipline such as matching the dog to handler, size, outlook etc. Obviously most people are attracted to looks first and a lot of people do not have exposure to good working dogs in other breeds until they become more experienced.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Working trials obedience has now changed to accomodate collies, when I was a teenager the h/w was with swinging arms and the dogs looking ahead, not any longer.

Er I am unaware of this change and I have been competing in WT since 1993 and judge! It is up to judges to choose how they interpret the rules. When I walk with my dogs, I never swing my arms, however I DO keep them in my pocket, but that would not be considered “natural” by some judges! Also different dogs have different styles, the sport itself has not changed nor have the rules for heelwork. There are lots of breeds other than collies that compete successfully in WT including winning tickets and they do not perform obedience style heelwork necessarily (neither do many collies)!

A lot of people choose to compete with collies as there are many lines to choose from which have proven their worth in obedience. Not ALL are great workers and even if they are they do not pop out of the womb ready trained!

Some breeds will always be more successful at certain sports as they have been genetically programmed for it. Collies and GSD etc tend to do well as unlike say most sighthounds, scenthounds for example they are handler dependant.

You can train ANY breed IF you can find what makes it tick and what motivates it to reach its individual potential, that does not mean of course all could become Ob Ch.

Shortcoated dogs have a disadvantage as it is easier to see any slight deviations in position.

Suzanne Jaffa made up her ASD into an Ob Ch this year and won Crufts with him. A Malinois has a ticket and there is at least one SBT competing in C only. Goldies are often in the cards as well.

Many people start off with any breed of dog but if they want to get to the top they often then buy a tool for the job, often this is a collie, but not always. There are various things to consider when competing in any discipline such as matching the dog to handler, size, outlook etc. Obviously most people are attracted to looks first and a lot of people do not have exposure to good working dogs in other breeds until they become more experienced.
Hi Smokeybear----I am talking about the 60's----not the 90's

rune
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I entered an obedience competition with Parker recently at a dog show (we came 6th and he got a prize!) and the 2 top places went to Golden Retrievers even thought there were lots of Border Collies there so it isn't always inevitable that the Collies win.
mad4foxhounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2010, 06:52 AM
i think its more how tuned in you are with your pet more than anything. we have always had collies, but for a number of years now also have Foxhounds. i have trained all three of my youngest foxhounds in agility scent work and obedience they have all got there KC good citzen bronze silzer and gold awards, thats how i got hooked into training.
i remember seeing a english bull terrier working beautifully for his mum at one show, and that is a breed that many would say are stubborn. their is a woman in the states that has great success with her bull terriers,
so if she can do it with her pets why cant we. i also been to one training classes that also have a shutiz doing everything the collies were doing, i think collies are more popular in the sport because they have been bred to read and work with humans as a team. incompaiied to other breeds like hounds that have been bred to work for them selves with the human following.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >