View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi muddiwarx, im in east yorkshire,yes i was training alone, i have given up at the moment, i've tried looking and finding out but nobody round here seems to even know about scootering let alone do it.

Shona- lol at least your dogs actually took to it first time?!

Magpye- Im going to keep everything, i do want to eventually do it one day, even if its with another dog or when i have more time and money i take him somewhere to get trained by someone who has more experience. I hope it goes well with Kismet fingers crossed!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Really would like to do scootering with my new dog when she's grown up. Thought about doing it with Loki, and taught him the commands, but he won't pull he just walks to heel! Tried Cani Cross but he won't run. He just doesn't see the point! Might have more joy with the new one though. Estrelas love to run - mind you I'll probably get the only lazy couch potato one
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Really would like to do scootering with my new dog when she's grown up. Thought about doing it with Loki, and taught him the commands, but he won't pull he just walks to heel! Tried Cani Cross but he won't run. He just doesn't see the point! Might have more joy with the new one though. Estrelas love to run - mind you I'll probably get the only lazy couch potato one

Is that with a harness on??
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Is that with a harness on??
Yep. He doesn't know he's a Northern breed. We got him a proper scootering harness too.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Yep. He doesn't know he's a Northern breed. We got him a proper scootering harness too.
My Sammy was like that.. would pull and pull on a lead..stick a harness on him and he sat down LOL..

He would pull now and again..usually down hill..with the wind behind him and me waving sausages at him from the end

The mals however..try stopping them
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 06:00 PM
made me smile Selkie my Sammy wont pull either. Never would - why I got her in fact, she 'failed' sled dog puppy picking- they ran the pup alongside a trotting team to see which wanted to stay with the team, which wanted to be in front etc... Selkie got in the sled and snuggled up!

I got her a harness for my bike, she took one look and trotted behind! I have higher hopes for Kismet
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi Brigoose,

Sorry I just came across your post.

Some dogs, even sled dog breeds, just don't have the desire to pull. It may be that they don't want to, or it could be they need to chase, looking at your breed I would suggest they need to have something to follow after, to chase down etc. Even some sled sogs will only run better if there is something in view to chase down. It may be the dog needs a running partner?? Dogs compete to lead, could be as simple as that. Although unless you are stong enough to hold 2 dogs hyped up to run I wouldn't try it, accidents happen and it's easy to be tossed from a scooter!

The weather is definately getting cold enough now to run so let us know how you get on.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Talking of some sleddogs breeds not wanting to pull, my male sibe will pull/ run with bike BUT mishka the female will run but dosen't like to pull in harness even next to kavik , she just keeps up & thats it but will pull if chasing something or see's a person ahead then really pulls. My 2 are fine once their harnesses are on but don't seem too keen having it PUT ON.
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies,

Its good to know that its not just my dog who wont pull!
I still live at home at the moment so getting another dog is out of the question(until i leave and whilst our eldest dog is still alive and the way she is, shes going to be around until shes 30!!)
I think in the future that i will end up looking for a Lead dog, i did not know people advertise them like horses and that when people move up in competing they will sell them, so if you like i will probably seek out a 'schoolmaster' then hopefully the others will be inspired!

Fluffypawz i've been 'tossed' off horses many times and been hanging on with one leg before...so maybe i will attempt the same with a scooter naa i will assess the situation and dress according i promise!
Might even get some ramps set up and practice...better safe than sorry!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by BriGoose View Post
I think in the future that i will end up looking for a Lead dog, i did not know people advertise them like horses and that when people move up in competing they will sell them, so if you like i will probably seek out a 'schoolmaster' then hopefully the others will be inspired!
!
I have never known anyone sell a lead dog as that ...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >