Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:31 PM

Dog scootering, carting,etc?

Anyone on here do it?

I've only just joined this site so hope iv posted this in the right place.
I have all the equipment for scootering, the dog im using just REALLY is not interested, hes more into agility.
Any tips?coz im obviously doing something wrong
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello and welcome to Dogsey.

Had never heard of skootering, until i looked it up, so sorry i can't give you any advice.

I suppose if the dog just doesn't like it there isn't much you can do.....stick to agility!
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Hello Catrinsparkles!

Thanks anyway, guess i just wait until i can afford another dog
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Ours go out on a scooter and a rig
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Great! Any advice? or should i just give in? Daphne Lewis has given me plenty of advice on what to do, but nothing has worked upto now.
cornishmals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Hi,we started scootering with our Mals earlier this year and have just started or 13 month old youngsters on the scooter now the weather is cooler (was it ever hot?).The 4 dogs vary between their ability,our 2 year old girl enjoys it the most and will always lead,the bigger lad prefers to runs slower but is stronger.When we first started scootering,we first got the dogs used to their harnesses.Then we walked them a few times while they were attached via their lines to the scooter.After that there was no stopping them and took to it like water of a ducks back.However or youngest who has been scootering for about a fortnight needs encouragement so I've teamed him up with our older girl.Goes like a train but only when he wants to.Early days I suppose.
Surprising how fast the 2 will pull.I am currently nursing quite a few bruises after falling off last week.Good luck.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I scooter and use a rig with pur dogs, Malamutes, Border Collie and sometimes Border Terrier - are you training alone? Perhaps in a group would be better give your dog something to chase - where abouts are you?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I tried it once, Inkliveeva on the forum came and gave me and the rotties a go of her scootering gear,, twas a nightmare, Im lucky I made it home alive, but it was a good laugh,,,
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
You know if you plan on giving up.. I'll buy the scooter and harnesses from you I want to give this a go with Kismet when she's old enough and will be in the market for a scooter and harness in about 4 months or so... Put it on the Christmas list

In seriousness though, as I understand it, it's something some dogs love and others just don't. Despite being a Samoyed and from a champion sledding line, Selkie never showed the least inclination to pull anything. She wouldn't pull a bike or even us at a jog on the lead. Always walked beside... Pharaoh is too skinny and more built for speed, so our scooter dreams have been on hold hoping for Kismet She seems to love to pull now at 9 months and we're starting to get her used to the idea of pulling in front of us on a walk and using the mushing terms while we walk... so fingers crossed.
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds good! At least you have some dogs that want to do it, my smallest dog really enjoyed it a couple of times in the garden but shes 14/15, very small( although i know that is not suppose to be a problem, but if it is your only dog...!)partially blind and has nerve damage..shes fine to do abit of agility but not for scootering and i know i would get hooked and want to go everyday.
Guess i just wait until i can afford another dog, maybe my other dog will tag along then.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >