View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Midnite
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Field Training a Labrador Retriever- Any and ALL Advice/Recomendations welcome !!

I was wondering if any one knows of any good field training books/ websites that any one would recomend ??? I already know of some good books on water fowl training but just need some upland books or some for training for Field Trials.. I reallllly want to try for Beaus FC /AFC but I don't know very much on Field training.. Any help in the form of advice, book/DVD/VHS recomendations or websites would be appreciated..
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I've just brought Clicker Gundog by Helen Phillips, she has HPR's but you can definately apply a lot of the techniques she has for a retriever, (as that is what I have )

I'm not into Field Trials (yet) but have started Working Tests first, have you done any gundog work before ?
Midnite
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm not into Field Trials (yet) but have started Working Tests first, have you done any gundog work before ?

No, not really. I have gotton one of my parents labs partly trained for Water Fowl, thats the only thing I really know(besides OB and Show training) but I am still a green horn at that too.. Beau will be my first If I can successfuly train and title him..... Do you know where I can read more on that book or where I can find it(not on-line stores since I don't order that way).. I would also like to get any opinions on Walters(auther) "Gun Dog" book. I have heard alot of great things about his books and I'll be ordering his "Water Dog" book shortly. Thanks
mike
New Member!
Male 

16-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi Midnite,
Having trained gundogs for many years using established, reward based methods the best place I can refer you to is a website called UK GUNDOGS. Its very informative and is run by people who's sole interest is fieldsports.
For training your own dog, have a look at the Gundog Broardsheets, written by Eric Begbie. You will find them on the same website, you can purchase them in various, printerble versions. They are very good and easy to follow
Best of luck
Mike
skyde
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Sandra and John Halstead, winners of retriever championship numerous times produce two dvd/ videos on retriever training from basic to advanced, they can be contacted on 01254 831363. Victor McDevitt produced a video called Gundog Training made easy, Quest Gundog supplies will have them or Turner Richards. A good book is also ' The complete guide to the Golden Retriever by Michael Twist. He was an A panel FT Judge and Show judge also. The book is brilliant for learning the way to train a retriever breed for the field. Hope this helps.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Would recommend the gundog training broadsheets as well. Very well laid out and very easy to follow.

Helen