Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lillysaff
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2006, 02:59 PM

Working Trials

Hi i am interested in competing in working trial. Does anyone do this? Have you got any advice?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Working trials with which dog? What type of trials?
Dawn.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi, I've competed in one trial and love the training, but you do have to be dedicated to the training to get anywhere although it's perfectly possible to enjoy training (search squares etc) without competing and many do just this!

I am now in fact having problems with the scale - the dog's not worrying it's more me as I believe 6ft isn't a good thing although once trained dogs don't jump it over and over, and also many dogs will cat leap down (ie leap from about 2ft down so they only jump from 4ft instead of 6)

What sort of dog do you have?
Smaller ones may have smaller jumps.

I train totally reward based and am careful about trainingn in groups as i've found some very old fashioned although to be fair there are some great people out there.

I'd recommend Anne Bussey if you live anywhere near Kent or Wiltshire and there are a few others, there's also the working trials site which lists training clubs but as i said I'm always a bit careful ...

There's also the Working Trials Monthly mag which is on subscription and is mostly trials reports, but a few articles now and then and letters page, if you get into trialling you will love reading about who is doing what...also training days are advertised in it.

Ps hope this is the right working trial(s) you mean?!
lillysaff
New Member!
Female 

13-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks Wisiwyg, and yes that is the type of trials i am looking at. Have a 3 year old black lab and a one year old jack russell. Training all the time, so know that dedication is a must. Useful to get training tips from others interested in the same stuff tho!
Lilly (lab) has literally just mastered the 6ft scale (yesterday in fact!) very proud of her because she is a bit of a scaredy cat. Its taken me ages! I know what you mean about the scale being scary! It scares the hell out of me!! Ive been doing the scale very gradually (thats why its taking so long) because i tend to find that if lilly thinks she cant do it and doesnt get it right a couple of times she kind of freaks! and loses her confidence. Once she has done it tho theres no stopping her! She loves it. Been advised not to let her do it too often and to vary the heights so not 6ft all the time. Think this is a good idea becasue then it will build her confidence.
I use food and toy reward for her and lots of gently gently!! Best way i find. At least then the dog does something becasue she loves it (and the food) and not because she is scared not to!

I have a problem with the long jump. Lilly jumps really flat and without the height there is no way she is ever going to clear 9ft. Any tips on how to improve that?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by lillysaff
Thanks .
I have a problem with the long jump. Lilly jumps really flat and without the height there is no way she is ever going to clear 9ft. Any tips on how to improve that?
A Belgian Ring trainingtip

Have you tried with an elastic band tied accross the long jump at 20 to 30 cm high^(even higher if needed). They want to clear that and gain hight

Greetings

Johan
lillysaff
New Member!
Female 

13-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks for that Johan. I will give it a try.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Firstly ensure your dog loves agility and jumping generally - you want attitude and a great enjoyment of jumping. Sounds as if you are doing that already

I'm not sure what Heldengebroed means about an elastic band but you can use a very small pole across the middle of the jump to encourage height (start off with the actual long jump at just a few feet with the pole across so the dog gets the idea if the dog knocks the pole it should harmlessly just fall away.

Another great way is to use the clicker for this, you can click for higher jumps and the dog understands what is required.

I'd also check your dog's physical anatomy, if a dog has for instance straight shoulders and no angulation it is much harder to clear the 9ft required.

I have a dog who relies on speed to do most things - I have had to help her understand there is no need to take off a mile away from this jump but that she can take off close to the jump to clear it - this I am achieving well with the clicker

Remember too to build up fitness and strength - things that can help are playing tuggie (builds up shoulder strength) and even "playing meerkat" which strengthens stomach muscles too.

I hope I manage to conquer my scale worries - my dog is so capable it's me that fears that jump. Partly because I read too much eg it was mentioned in a wts training book some years ago and it stuck with me! and also because the RAF who used to have a scale went on to using landing platforms and now have discarded the scale and are using A frames instead.

Out of interest, how much does your lab weigh (she is working type I'm guessing?) and does she grunt on landing?!
lillysaff
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks wysiwyg. I have just started using a 'spread jump'. Its three jumps that i have interspersed into the long jump so there is some height there. Ive shortened the long jump so that concentrating more on the height than the distance. From the side it kind of looks like an upside down v? Hopefully she will get the idea! What do you think?
She is a working lab. She is quite short tho - but muscular. She is 26kilo at the moment which the vet thinks is fine - not too ribby or flabby. I am trying to get a bit off her tho. She doesnt grunt when she lands - im assuming she isnt suposed to!!! We do tuggy stuff to build up her hind legs. Also walking backwards because this helps too apparently. Havent tried 'meerkat' (is that standing on hind legs?) but will def give it a go.
She does love jumps, epecially normal agility. She is definately a 'build the confidence up' type of dog because once she has something sussed its kind of 'oh! thats what you mean, you should have said earlier!!!'
HAvent tried clicker with jumps. Used that with my dumbell. worked a treat
I know what you mean about reading too much sometimes. It can be a dangerous thing!!! I think the main thing is knowing your dog's limitations and strengths! U seem to know yours! Having said that Lilly is constantly surprising me at stuff she does - sometimes things that i think are going to be really difficult arent and visa versa! Mad!
Next thing is the clear jump!! Oh joy!!
Anyway. Good luck with your scale.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks wysiwyg. I have just started using a 'spread jump'. Its three jumps that i have interspersed into the long jump so there is some height there. Ive shortened the long jump so that concentrating more on the height than the distance. From the side it kind of looks like an upside down v? Hopefully she will get the idea! What do you think?
She is a working lab. She is quite short tho - but muscular. She is 26kilo at the moment which the vet thinks is fine - not too ribby or flabby. I am trying to get a bit off her tho. She doesnt grunt when she lands - im assuming she isnt suposed to!!! We do tuggy stuff to build up her hind legs. Also walking backwards because this helps too apparently. Havent tried 'meerkat' (is that standing on hind legs?) but will def give it a go.
She does love jumps, epecially normal agility. She is definately a 'build the confidence up' type of dog because once she has something sussed its kind of 'oh! thats what you mean, you should have said earlier!!!'
HAvent tried clicker with jumps. Used that with my dumbell. worked a treat
I know what you mean about reading too much sometimes. It can be a dangerous thing!!! I think the main thing is knowing your dog's limitations and strengths! U seem to know yours! Having said that Lilly is constantly surprising me at stuff she does - sometimes things that i think are going to be really difficult arent and visa versa! Mad!
Next thing is the clear jump!! Oh joy!!
Anyway. Good luck with your scale.

Hi

Thanks, I wish the weather was cooler as where i train the ground is quite hard, I want it to rain!!! I'm sticking to lower jumps just now. No she's not supposed to grunt, mine does which is partly what worries me. I am going to have a vet and chiro check up with her in case, although I've been told lots of dogs do do this.It just really puts me off.

An upside down V, yes that sounds about right but ensure you are helping her understand the jump is long and that the pole across isn't too high or she may just think it's a normal jump. I'd say if she's used to the long then you need to probably just do a few with the pole over at about 3ftish in length and then over maybe a week take her to full length (depending very much on her individually) I'm sure Lilly will soon understand it's easier to use the correct trajectory, she sounds a bright sort

By the way the pole across only needs to be about 6-9 inches more than the max. height of the highest element and that will probably do it.

Lots of luck, I think trialling is such a great sport, if trained well the dogs are so enthusiastic and raring to go - love it! Sounds as if Lilly will be doing you proud as you take care of her
lillysaff
New Member!
Female 

17-07-2006, 07:15 AM
thanks for that! Ground is a bit hard here too. Dont worry it will rain soon enough and then we can moan that its too wet!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >