Female 

28-09-2005, 09:38 AM
I´m also asking for pics here
Sounds like a lot of fun
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 10:47 AM
I'll get some pics soon, but riding a board AND hanging on to Jake AND taking pics would be asking for trouble, I feel...

In the meantime, i managed to find a pic of the general concept.

That looks like a pretty ordinary longboard to me. I've never seen it done with a mountain board. Makes more sense though, what with the bigger wheels and offroad capability...
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Just a thought and prob a stupid Q: how do they (you) teach your dog which way to go and when to turn, slow down, etc?

I´m having this image in my head of me on a thing like that, racing through the street and Ally being out of control - I might even end up in some backyard with dirt in my mouth

I remember the video of that dog skating on its own, but it seemed pretty peaceful and of course it wasnt pulling anyone. Do you remember that one? It also knew how to turn - one clever dog
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Good question! So far, I've only tried it on walks we know, so Jake knows where to go. I guess in a large area, the rider could get away with changing direction on the board, then calling the dog in the required direction. As for stopping, you can get boards with brakes, which might work OK. A fairly advanced boardriding skill is sliding the board to a stop, which looks absolutely awesome, by the way. Have a look at www.faltownskateboards.com!

So, I suppose, to start with it'll be a bit 50/50 as to who decides where you're going and when you stop until both rider and dog settle on a way of communicating left/right/stop/Oh Sh**!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Will take a look at the site later

I was actually thinking if you by your weight could "force" or teach your dog which way to go? :smt017
I guess you make the board turn with your weight and maybe with the right harness the dog can pick up on that and turn with you?

Have no idea how to stop it as I would imagine it needs to slow down gradually and not just make a full stop

This sounds like fun Rich so get that cam going and get some pics and movies please
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Going to have another trial session tomorrow, with the harness we've got at the moment. It's one of those car safety things, but I guess it'll do for starters.

Speaking of which, i thought I'd drop a few tips in for anyone thinking of having a go at all terrain dogboarding. (As I have decided to name it... ) I know amts is dying to have a try!

The stuff:

I'll provide some examples of gear that is currently available and seems pretty good, based on the digging around I've been doing. I haven't necessarily used any of it, but it's not too expensive, available and seems to be pretty well made. Google the names to see what I mean.

Board. Something like a Kheo Bazik.
Harness. Something like Ezydog's one.
Retractable leash. We've got an all webbing one, not one with some strap and some cord.
Dog. Medium/large not too fast! Something like a Lab. Labs used to be used for pulling carts full of supplies around for those cold Canadian winters, you know. When they weren't retrieving stuff... A reasonable level of obedience is a good idea...

Safety equipment:
Helmet of some sort, cycle or skate.
Pads. Elbow, knee.
Wrist guards.
Good strong shoes/boots.
Padded shorts.
Use some or all of this. Depends on how many scrapes you're willing to endure. Most stuff grows back though... Most mountain boards come with a leash that you attach round your ankle, then onto the footstrap. These are mandatory at mountain boarding courses. I'd be wary of using them for this purpose, as the board is unlikely to go far if you come off, as you'll probably be on the flat, not on a huge slope. I'd rather separate from the board when I come off. Up to you though.

How to:
To start with, get used to the board. Start on a gentle, short grassed slope with plenty of room at the bottom to roll to a stop. Don't have the footstraps too tight. Put your preferred front foot in the strap, push with the other leg, then shuffle the free foot into the strap, while coasting down the slope at a steady pace. Don't go too slow! Think of riding a bike. It's easier to balance when you're going along and very hard to balance when you're stopped. Get used to doing little turns by tilting the board left or right using heel/toe. Get used to the footstraps, getting in and out. Experiment to find techniques that feel comfortable. Try a bit of a bigger hill.

While doing all this, it'd be helpful to have you're intended power source with you, so he/she gets used to you on a board. Don't try getting a pull before you know how to ride the board reasonably well, or there'll be tears! When you are ready, find a gentle slope or flat section of hard ground/paved surface with lots of room for maneuvering. With dog in harness, lead attached and one foot on the board, start pushing the board to get going, and encourage your dog to get moving too, take the strain through the lead and get your free foot in the bindings. You're off! (And also on you're own, as this is about as far as I've got! )
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Sounds like great fun! I'm sure Loki would love it - only I'd be dragged around from dog to dog so that he could practice dominating
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

29-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey, get a team together, then he could be dominant by pulling from the front.

***UPDATE***

Had a fun session this morning! You really would need a team to get anywhere near scary fast though! With just Jakey and me, off road we really need a bit of a down hill and going up any slope on a paved surface isn't much good. We had a couple of runs of around a hundred meters each, interspersed with some splashing about in the stream and chasing tennis ball etc. Jake doesn't seem any more tired than he would after a normal walk. He seems to be up for it too! He put in a few bursts of stronger pulling and certainly seems to have caught on that 'come on then' means I'm on the board and have started pushing along a bit.

Stopping isn't too much bother. I just took my back (right) foot out of the strap and dragged it on the ground. Turning wasn't much of an issue, because most of our walk is on straight paths.

Saw a couple of people who made jokey comments about me being lazy. It's actually a good workout! Bearing in mind you're lugging a fairly heavy board after you on the bits you're not riding, and when you are riding, you've got the lead in your hand, which is pulling everything else along, so your shoulders get a working over. Also, your legs are adjusting all the time to steer and act as shock absorbers. (Those springs under the board aren't shock absorbers, they're purely for turning. Your legs have to soak up all the bumps, so keep your knees bent!)
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2005, 03:19 PM
No dirt eating??
I gotta see some pics and videos before i make any promises
Sounds like fun though
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Still haven't managed to get anyone to take a pic, but here's a couple I managed to get with my phone. First one is of Jake pulling, off road. Second is of the board on a path. Will get some taken by someone else as soon as poss!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	pull.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1468   Click image for larger version

Name:	atb.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	1469  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >