Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2014, 01:55 PM

GSD vs Border Collie

2 of my favourite breeds, I've owned a gsd before. Thinking of getting either of these two in the future. Can people who have owned them tell me a bit about them please, are they similar? My GSD had an off switch as they say, are any collie's like this? Basically help me make a decision!! Pictures would also be nice 😊 thanks
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Hi Kirsty, In my experience this will depend on whether you want a dog from a working pedigree or one that is from a show pedigree or just pet bred. I found that the working breed was very much on the go but then we did do agility or obedience with them but they rested when asked to. When I got my last collie he came from show stock so I did find that he would have moments of relative calm. But then I have found that if I am happy to not do much my dogs would do the same. So again it depnds on how much energy you have and if you can have periods of calm the dogs will be calm and quite happy to rest. Both breeds must not have too much exercise to begin with as their joints and muscles must have time to develop. Helping them to use there brain at this stage of their life is a good way to tire them out. So no manic exercise until they are at least 9 months old. With that in mind food has to be carefuly selected for that as well. Too much protein and calcium can give problems in growth rate. Again you have to decide on whether to have a male or female. In both breeds some can be very whimpy, it doesn't matter whether they are male or female both can have this problem. So again you have to be careful on your way of training them. This of course is only my experience of the breed's. I have had many collies and gsd's in my life and all of them have been very different. What ever you decide on it is best to look around and ask questions of the various litters that you see and then decide what to go for. I am sure there are others on here that will have different ideas to mine. But they will all have had experience over the years to glean from. Just be careful where you buy your pup from. Only go to very good reccomended breeders with good reputations.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Brenda summed it all up beautifully In a nutshell to have a happy life with a working breed you want to be involved in agility and regular training exercise. For some breeds making them work is a chore. But with German Shepherds and Border Collies having their daily tasks is what they're made to do and they'll love you for it.

Think about German Shepherds who work with soldiers and law enforcement. They'll go into the most complicated situations on command and are rewarded with praise and time with their chew toy...AWESOME dogs! Just from personal experience I feel a well raised GSD is the more stable pet dog of the two.

Don't get me wrong. I had a Border Collie and they are gorgeous and possibly the most intellectual of any dog. But they need a special owner that understands their nature and can absolutely provide daily outlets for all that energy and intelligence. A bored Border Collie can be like containing a tornado...not pretty.

Both are terrific but you need to do your research and soul searching.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2014, 09:14 PM
I own both breeds and have for a good number of years. Both are demanding in their own ways. Much depends on what you want to do with your new dog.

As Brenda has said, working lines are more energetic than their show or pet counterparts, but can make good active companions in the right home.

Our collies are all working sheepdogs (but collies can also be fulfilled doing other "work" such as agility, working trials etc) and my GSDs are active companions, although my youngest working line GSD is shaping up very nicely as a shepherding dog around the farm and they have all also enjoyed tracking/searching and agility.