View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:25 AM
I am not OCD I have a husband who works with food and catering who has uniforms that need to be spotless, I have a slightly incontinent elderly dog, several cleaning jobs that create 3 uniforms I have to keep clean, I have MS and spill things a lot, am menopausal so create a fair amount of washing when I "flood" and sweat. Would you like any more detail or is that enough. OCD indeed just love forums when people make mental health judgements of other members !

So the dogs bedding goes into the machine each day and if I wanted to run it constantly it's mine to do so as long as I pay the bills.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I once had a foster dog that would pick up a big mouthful of water from the bowl walk into the living room and then open her mouth.
I had no idea what to do about that, it was pretty messy and inconvenient, it was a relief when she found a new home lol!
Google dirt trapper mat, I bought 3 'seconds' (a couple of nicks from. Stanley knife in the rubber) from a company on the net and they are awesome. They are rubber backed and have rough carpet stuff on the top, because they are rubber backed you can chop them down to smaller sizes to make door mats or carpet runners etc.

http://www.splendidpets.co.uk/small-...Dog-Floor-Mats
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I am not OCD I have a husband who works with food and catering who has uniforms that need to be spotless, I have a slightly incontinent elderly dog, several cleaning jobs that create 3 uniforms I have to keep clean, I have MS and spill things a lot, am menopausal so create a fair amount of washing when I "flood" and sweat. Would you like any more detail or is that enough. OCD indeed just love forums when people make mental health judgements of other members !

So the dogs bedding goes into the machine each day and if I wanted to run it constantly it's mine to do so as long as I pay the bills.
Right. I thank you for your life story. Doesn't change the way I feel or the way you will act. It's like I said, and you said... you will do whatever you want. It is your house, and your family. I don't know you or live with you, so my personal feelings are worthless in this regard, right?

We use energy saving bulbs that only cost cents a year to burn... yet leaving them on all the time would waste energy and resources. So we don't do that, at all.

Also, I think it is ignorant to waste energy thinking that because you pay for it, it's not doing the environment etc. any harm. EG. drive an environment harming car only because you can afford it, oblivious to the irreversible damage it's doing to everyone. Or worse, not oblivious... but just don't care.

If people weren't so foolish with regards to energy etc., the world most certainly would be better off. But then again... we humans are the most destructive living beings on the planet. Regretfully, it's true.

In the end, it's like this... and this is my final word on the matter, truly...

You do not find what you are doing to be a waste at all, as you've gone through lengths to attempt to explain why it's not, but I do think it's a waste even still... therefore there isn't a point in discussing the matter further. Good day to you.
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I find it amazing and not in a good way how someone who tries to help another person with a problem on here can then come under attack for how they live their life, really is unreal.

Julie if you need to use your washing machine 5 times a day then you go ahead and do it and don't let others views bother you in the least - I don't feel that anyone has the right to challenge what someone else does in their life in this way. You know your life and do what you need, nobody else knows.

For info I use the washer every other day or so but should things change and I ever need to use it 4 times a day then I will do, quite happily.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
It's all very personal isn't it, with two dogs, two very young children and two adults in the house my washing machine can easily be on twice a day...three times a day now my littlest is potty training. �� I've never had a tumble dryer but am seriously considering it now I have to have school, preschool and my partners work uniforms washed and dried not time...it's either that or I need windy dry weather at least five days a week, and I don't think that's going to happen!
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:17 PM
It is Catrin you're right and it's very rude and totally uncalled for. I've been there in the past with 3 little ones and have been constantly washing and ironing and believe me it was never done for fun..

On a different note though, I got rid of my tumble dryer last year and got one of those heated clothes airers, I love it, I can put a couple of layers on each shelf and have found that it definitely looks after the clothes more - worth looking at if you've got room.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-...ed-Tower-Airer
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:21 PM
You are not alone Julie and Catrin. Bella is the daintiest drinker (it's kibble she chucks everywhere out of the bowl! But she eats everything outside and in Cyprus the climate is such that it is not a problem!)

I wash ALL Bella's blankets, rugs, sheets chucked on sofas and what have you all the time. Floor rugs are washed weekly the rest more often. I don't want a velvety blanket on my bed that the dog's been on for more than a day (I change my bedding for myself about every 3 days - I only like pure white bedding and it soon shows every speck but mostly it's the HAIR - the ginger stubble! Easy to see on white bedding and easy to see on black furniture and black blankets)

She has 2 or 3 'raw chicken eating rugs' they are only small bath mat size - they are in fact small thick bath mats. She has 3 or 4 full size blankets I chuck on the sofa, armchair and end of my bed and other, smaller dog blanket or rug thingies that I use in the car or just on top of other stuff I don't want to wash so often.

When you have a dog that lives in the house and sits and sleeps where it likes, it is easy not to notice 'doggy smells' but they do exist!

NO WAY would I ever have my dog lying on plastic - thin or thick. Yes, it's warm where I live so that would be horribly uncomfortable (for me too) but even in the UK I wouldn't do it. How much trouble is it to chuck their stuff in the washer with your own. In fact I'd be struggling to find a machine load without all the 'Bella Stuff' lol!

I managed to get a job lot of bargain 'army green sheets' for just €4 each! These are used in the hottest weather to throw over everything, outside seating, inside chairs and sofas - for the comfort of hoomans as well as muttley because where it's that hot - you sweat (or perspire or glow!) on everything you sit on. Same reason I won't have plastic outdoor chairs. Have to be 'breathable' mesh or similar (for me).

I wouldn't put a baby on a plastic sheet just so it didn't make a mess or wet anything if I wanted my baby to 'get the air' I'd use towelling or sheeting and wash it. So I wouldn't do it for my dog either - coz, actually, my dawg is my baby too.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by cacoll View Post
It is Catrin you're right and it's very rude and totally uncalled for. I've been there in the past with 3 little ones and have been constantly washing and ironing and believe me it was never done for fun..

On a different note though, I got rid of my tumble dryer last year and got one of those heated clothes airers, I love it, I can put a couple of layers on each shelf and have found that it definitely looks after the clothes more - worth looking at if you've got room.
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-...ed-Tower-Airer
2 things...
1... What's an iron? I have a very good sharp shake, put on the the line, sharp shake and hang or fold method. Although I did use an iron this morning to finish off drying my daughter school polo shirt because it hadn't dried over night.

2... I've been looking at those heating rail things and trying to decided between one of those and a tumble dryer. Good to hear that you like them. Went the heating is on I dry stuff on the radiators, but we don't have it on much, trying to save on bills, we tend to just have our horrible blow fire thing on in the lounge...which doesn't have a radiator in it anyway....and really wrap the children up snuggly at night.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You are not alone Julie and Catrin. Bella is the daintiest drinker (it's kibble she chucks everywhere out of the bowl! But she eats everything outside and in Cyprus the climate is such that it is not a problem!)

I wash ALL Bella's blankets, rugs, sheets chucked on sofas and what have you all the time. Floor rugs are washed weekly the rest more often. I don't want a velvety blanket on my bed that the dog's been on for more than a day (I change my bedding for myself about every 3 days - I only like pure white bedding and it soon shows every speck but mostly it's the HAIR - the ginger stubble! Easy to see on white bedding and easy to see on black furniture and black blankets)

She has 2 or 3 'raw chicken eating rugs' they are only small bath mat size - they are in fact small thick bath mats. She has 3 or 4 full size blankets I chuck on the sofa, armchair and end of my bed and other, smaller dog blanket or rug thingies that I use in the car or just on top of other stuff I don't want to wash so often.

When you have a dog that lives in the house and sits and sleeps where it likes, it is easy not to notice 'doggy smells' but they do exist!

NO WAY would I ever have my dog lying on plastic - thin or thick. Yes, it's warm where I live so that would be horribly uncomfortable (for me too) but even in the UK I wouldn't do it. How much trouble is it to chuck their stuff in the washer with your own. In fact I'd be struggling to find a machine load without all the 'Bella Stuff' lol!

I managed to get a job lot of bargain 'army green sheets' for just €4 each! These are used in the hottest weather to throw over everything, outside seating, inside chairs and sofas - for the comfort of hoomans as well as muttley because where it's that hot - you sweat (or perspire or glow!) on everything you sit on. Same reason I won't have plastic outdoor chairs. Have to be 'breathable' mesh or similar (for me).

I wouldn't put a baby on a plastic sheet just so it didn't make a mess or wet anything if I wanted my baby to 'get the air' I'd use towelling or sheeting and wash it. So I wouldn't do it for my dog either - coz, actually, my dawg is my baby too.
I feel really bad that I don't wash the dogs beds, or our sofa cushion covers enough...so I know there's a doggy smell in our house..but I just don't have the time or the room to dry them. When I wash them, unless we have a really hot summers day, they take ages to dry and then take on that musty yucky smell. I really must get either one of those heated rails or a tumble dryer. Not sure where I would put either though! Lol!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Pookin View Post
I once had a foster dog that would pick up a big mouthful of water from the bowl walk into the living room and then open her mouth.
I had no idea what to do about that, it was pretty messy and inconvenient, it was a relief when she found a new home lol!
Google dirt trapper mat, I bought 3 'seconds' (a couple of nicks from. Stanley knife in the rubber) from a company on the net and they are awesome. They are rubber backed and have rough carpet stuff on the top, because they are rubber backed you can chop them down to smaller sizes to make door mats or carpet runners etc.

http://www.splendidpets.co.uk/small-...Dog-Floor-Mats
Ooo I'll have a look at those too. Thank you!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >