Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Children is different. That's waiting until everyone is sat down. That's normal. But would you make them wait AFTER everyone was sat down and the food was on their plate in front of them - and they had to wait for a word from you to start on it?
Yes. In Judaism it means saying a Blessing about the food we are about to eat.
Someone
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Malka, I don't think your being "dominant" at all. You sound like an excellent dog owner

I take the "waiting for dinner" thing much further than you and it is still not a "dominant" thing.

Obedience doesn't have to have anything to do with "dominance" (in my opinion). If anyone watched how me and my dogs interact they could never say there is any "dominance" going on. If anything I'm too soft with them.

Waiting for dinner is a behaviour just like any behaviour.

To suggest that the dog doesn't eat through fear (as another poster suggested) doesn't make sense (in this situation), it's like saying any "stay" can only be taught using fear which is not true at all.

And saying that because the dog wants its dinner and is hungry means it can't wait (as another poster suggested) doesn't really make sense. If it is a well fed dog it shouldn't be that ravenously hungry anyway (it was probably last fed 10 or so hours ago if fed twice a day - not starved) and a few minutes will not increase it's hunger so much that it will quickly break a "stay" or (in your case) the routine. When my dogs ask for dinner (around 6:30pm, sometimes they ask at 5:30pm - I have never fed them that early) they handle it fine if I'm busy and they have to wait 10 or so minutes. They are no more insistant about mealtimes then they are about grooming time.

I really don't understand some of the things written in this thread by some posters.
That's why I posted, to try to show some practical reasons for purposely teaching a dog to wait for dinner.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 04:24 PM
All these tiny bits of dog training and routines that we do increase the bond between us and our dogs, stimulate their minds, enrich their lives...and ultimately, if your dog is keen to do the dozens of littles "silly" things we ask them to (because they want the reward) then they are more likely to trust us and do the big things when'd we need them to...like standing still for the vet or coming back when you call because someone left the gate open accidentally.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2013, 05:04 PM
I keep dry food available at all times for my dogs and they pick at it all day. If more than one of them wants to eat the other will sit patiently waiting till the first one is done. No growling or fighting during the wait. In the evening they get their meat and vegetables. While its being prepared they have been taught by my partner to stay out of the kitchen until they are told its ok to come in. Of course they watch him intently until they get the ok. I don't think having your dog wait to get the ok to eat has anything to do with dominance. For some it's just a part of training. For us our kitchen is so small you can't move with 6 Chihuahua's at your feet without stepping on one of them. Also, I think Malka and Pereg have a very close relationship in which they support each other. Pereg waiting for the ok to go eat her food seems to be a loving game they play.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
Malka, I don't think your being "dominant" at all. You sound like an excellent dog owner

I take the "waiting for dinner" thing much further than you and it is still not a "dominant" thing.

Obedience doesn't have to have anything to do with "dominance" (in my opinion). If anyone watched how me and my dogs interact they could never say there is any "dominance" going on. If anything I'm too soft with them.

Waiting for dinner is a behaviour just like any behaviour.

To suggest that the dog doesn't eat through fear (as another poster suggested) doesn't make sense (in this situation), it's like saying any "stay" can only be taught using fear which is not true at all.

And saying that because the dog wants its dinner and is hungry means it can't wait (as another poster suggested) doesn't really make sense. If it is a well fed dog it shouldn't be that ravenously hungry anyway (it was probably last fed 10 or so hours ago if fed twice a day - not starved) and a few minutes will not increase it's hunger so much that it will quickly break a "stay" or (in your case) the routine. When my dogs ask for dinner (around 6:30pm, sometimes they ask at 5:30pm - I have never fed them that early) they handle it fine if I'm busy and they have to wait 10 or so minutes. They are no more insistant about mealtimes then they are about grooming time.

I really don't understand some of the things written in this thread by some posters.
That's why I posted, to try to show some practical reasons for purposely teaching a dog to wait for dinner.
That's very true. I wish Remus wouldn't bother about what time his meals were but, having spent quite a lot of his first 12 weeks starving, food is always at the forefront of his mind. If it's even ten minutes late he will start barking at anyone who is home insesently. On thedaydhe was nurtured he was in a real panic but the time we got to the vets, barking at anyone who made eye contact with him. Funnily enough though he has no food aggression issues with people or dogs.

Tonks isn't that bothered, although she would like it promtly, she soon settles down if she realises everyone is doing other things.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Well I've been looking this up. Most sites I like say to make the dog sit and then put the bowl down so they can eat. Not to make the dog wait after that until you give the command.

But I have found it now on the beloved C. Millan list of things you should do to make sure your dog knows who is the dominant one. Along with never allowing the dog to enter a doorway ahead of you and a load of other old rubbish (IMHO)
CM says a whole lot of stuff, and there will be some stuff he says to do which non dominance theory based people will also do....just for different reasons!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I really dont see what you're getting at Tang. You think we're being cruel to teach our dogs to wait for permission to eat? I'll say it again, its impulse control, and manners. Mine have it... mostly lol

And no, my dogs would dive right in if I left the room. They don't have that strong of a wait lol. I've never considered it necessary to do more than a 5 or 10 second wait.
That's a very good point about impulse control, I also teach off by holding a treat and saying nothing but if they move towards it I shut my hand and say in a nice voice ( never ever shout) 'off', repeat, repeat....and then you see them sit back and take stock and you say 'take it' and give it to them. Again, not being cruel, not asserting dominance, but teaching impulse control and the dog to think of alternative 'polite' ways of getting what they want rather than careering about the place. A dog with no impulse control is not a very safe dog to have around.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5