View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:36 PM
While Harveys kibble soaks, make up Katies. Katie is fed first. Put her dish down, then go back & finish Harvey's off. He goes into a sit - when i lift his dish, he "waves" - dish down & he gets stuck in

Harvey finished & Katie still eating. Have to watch as Harvey would go to Katie - she would move off & let him eat her food.

Cats are free fed
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Both dogs form an orderly queue putside the kitchen near feeding time. I put Cherry's dish down at the edge of the kitchen then put Parker into a sit-wait whilst I move his dish to a mat at the far end of the living room. When I give the release command (Amen!) he runs to get at his dish.

I didn't use to separate them like this but since Cherry's eye problems it is fair to her. She also actually tastes her food rather than inhales like it like Parker does so I like to give her a head-start so when Parker comes to see what she has left for him (ie nothing!) she has actually finished her food.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
GD/GDV/????
translate please

GD = Gastric Dilation = Bloat

This is where the stomach fills full of air.

GDV = Gastric Dilation Volvulus = Torsion or strictly speaking GV

This is where the stomach twists

You can have dogs that bloat without torsion and vice versa.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Food in bowls, bowls given out in order of who has their bum on the floor by their raised bowl, which actually means Syd first and the others vary a bit in order. They keep their heads in their bowls and they know better than to try and take each others food but I watch them just in case. Frank gets fed seperate from the others simply because he takes quite a bit longer to eat it as no concessions are made for size. The three Dobermanns eat shoulder to shoulder, Rio always finishes first and looks longingly at the others bowls but she doesn't try to help herself.
Recreational bones are fed on the conservatory floor and they all lay around in fairly close proximity and sometimes even share a bone. It took a bit of time and training to reach this state of affairs though as the 3 rehomes were all resource guarders.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Food placed in Bowls, put it down for Tassle and Siren, then Zeff, then Gabe and Trip.

Everyone tucks in, with the exception of Zeff - who explores to check everyone else is eating before deciding he has to eat his own.

When they have finished they wonder round and clean each others bowls - and Siren hovers under Zeff waiting for the crumbs to drop out of his mouth.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Casper gets his first as he barks until he is fed and he was always fed first when he was still with his friend.

Gracie gets hers after Casper, she likes to take her time and taste her food. I move her into a seperate area from her kennelmates then she doesn't feel she has to rush!

Stella next, she takes ages to eat, taking a biscuit then running away with it to eat it!

Misty & Lucy are fed next, as Lucy is the next slowest eater! Misty is very good in that she'll finish before her kennel mate, but won't go near them while they are eating. She waits until they've finsihed before going to check they have eaten it all!

Then I just feed the next kennel, which is Hamish, leaving Blade and Dan until last, as they just inhale. Even though he is fed last, Dan always finishes first, and he sits by his kennel door waiting to be let out for the toilet as he won't go in his kennel!

It's taken a while to sort out a feeding regime, as I've had dogs coming and going just recently!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
My 3 stand around me watching me put in into their bowls,
Then I say Harrys name and put his down at one end of the kitchen, and then I get the others bowls and put then just around the corner from each other the other side of the kitchen. Then they all check each others bowls for left overs.
If they are having big bones or something that will take them a while to eat I put them outside where ever the bowls land really.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
They all mill around while I get thier food ready, then I do it in order of slowest eater first and so on, so Isabell and Pebble, then make the pups sit, then Culotte, Bryony and Ziggy then Bo then Sweebertja, when they have finished they all check to make sure no one has left anything, the whole thing takes about 20 seconds I have to say my pigs eat slower
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Mine are free fed so there is always food available. All of the bowls are in the kitchen but they only eat out of their own.

If I give them any 'special' bits they just get put in each bowl in no order, just whichever one I come across first.

Same with treats and bones, the one nearest gets theirs first but there's no rushing to get closest, guess they know that they will all get one
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:04 PM
All sitting in kitchen while I am filling their bowls. All eat a few feet apart in the kitchen and don't bother each other. Jasmine is always the last to finish. Meggie will go round when the other two have finished just to check the bowls are clean. All over in minutes
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >