View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:36 PM
wow, still fuzzy headed, but probably more due to the red wine this evening, but what misconceptions STILL about this story?

I'm chuckling away that people think that the majority of birds on a shoot aren't cleanly shot. Really, that speaks volumes about how little is understood.

Ok, a slight, description, before I go get my dogs out for their last wee, but no, by far the majority of birds on a shoot are shot cleanly. Those who don't shoot well, aren't welcomed back on a shoot, generally. Occasionally, a bird will be pricked, and will land as a runner. An experienced picker up, and indeed his dog, will actually recognise this, and watch for the bird landing, it's trajectory, and where it runs to. Many shoots advocate sending a dog mid drive after a pricked bird, to ensure it doesn't suffer any longer than it should.

I'm not sure where the idea comes from that lots of birds are injured and left, because it simply doesn't happen. That's why there are people there to pick up, with their dogs.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:45 PM
No doubt it is as Steve says, there will be those that do things correctly and better than others. Odd you find the death of any creature something to chuckle about.....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I'm not sure where the idea comes from that lots of birds are injured and left, because it simply doesn't happen. That's why there are people there to pick up, with their dogs.
Does happen though, I cant prove what type of people are shooting - but I certainly know and have seen birds left once shot. not a nice sight - some treated and released - some go through all that pain and then stress of being brought in and then die/be pts anyways.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
wow, still fuzzy headed, but probably more due to the red wine this evening, but what misconceptions STILL about this story?

I'm chuckling away that people think that the majority of birds on a shoot aren't cleanly shot. Really, that speaks volumes about how little is understood.

Ok, a slight, description, before I go get my dogs out for their last wee, but no, by far the majority of birds on a shoot are shot cleanly. Those who don't shoot well, aren't welcomed back on a shoot, generally. Occasionally, a bird will be pricked, and will land as a runner. An experienced picker up, and indeed his dog, will actually recognise this, and watch for the bird landing, it's trajectory, and where it runs to. Many shoots advocate sending a dog mid drive after a pricked bird, to ensure it doesn't suffer any longer than it should.

Lived in Lincolnshire in very small village among many many shoots etc and I know there were many injured birds.

Probably not the majority---but I don't think anyone said that the majority were not shot cleanly---did they?

'suffer longer than it should'----why should it suffer at all? Shoots are for sport pure and simple. Not to cull birds or preserve the countryside.

rune
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Depends on whether they are domesticated or not.

Feral cats need to be controlled, I am not a fan of shooting them, but certainly spay/neuter or euthanasia, depending on individual circumstances.

Domesticated one, I have no particular view on, they are pets, and as such need to be treated as such.

I really cant see your connection of fois gras to the control of our wildlife, force feed poultry yes, but we make our choice NOT to eat or buy it.

Wild life is just that, they live a natural wild life, and when controlled they are done so humanly and quickly, or should be.

We have a duty of care to make sure what wildlife we have is able to continue in as healthy a condition as possible, and whether people like it or not, the way to that is conservation, and conservation includes control of numbers.

pet or feral they are ALL DOMESTIC CATS!

so basically youre saying that the most populous predator in our country one which is classed as an INVASIVE species is okay to go uncontrolled when its a pet, yet our NATIVE species must be controlled .....now thats what i call incredulous!

and you talk of 'conservation' lol

are you still evading my question Tarimoor?

i live on the edge of a lords estate and my dogs have caught injured pheasants left behind by the shoot! and thats when running in harness! theyve also caught and eaten a partridge ....its disgusting that these poor unworldly birds are realeased enmass out into the countryside like that to be killed for 'sport'....theyre semi tame!... not very sporting really is it , and the carnage on our roads is shameful!

also to mass realease so many birds of one species is yet another disaster for the environment!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
pet or feral they are ALL DOMESTIC CATS!

Feral = reverting to a natural state, livign as a wild animal.

Its a moot point that they may have one day come from domesticated cats, but they are`nt now.

so basically youre saying that the most populous predator in our country one which is classed as an INVASIVE species is okay to go uncontrolled when its a pet,

did I say that??? I said I have no opinion either way!

yet our NATIVE species must be controlled .....now thats what i call incredulous]and you talk of 'conservation'
That's right conservation is needed to control all wild species that are to many in numbers/danger to vulnerable species, be them feral cats, rabbits, rats, foxes , mink
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That's right conservation is needed to control all wild species that are to many in numbers/danger to vulnerable species, be them feral cats, rabbits, rats, foxes , mink
so because a domestic cat turns feral its becomes a different species lmfao

like mink they are not indiginous to our country they wreak havoc on wildlife and should not be predating on it!....unlike mink they are a DOMESTICATED animal who as such dont belong ANYWHERE in ANY habitat ...be they feral or pet!

and i think you'll find i have never said a wild native species should never be controlled if its damaging its habitat, but it should be done with the whole ecology of that area in mind based scientific data....not randomly shot by some hunter or other....that is NOT conservation!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Now folks ive been doing a bit of checking up on shooting of so-called feral cats in the UK, to begin with here is a link to the Cats Protection Leagues policy on feral control - in it it says that removing said cats is no use as another colony will simply move in. Neutering/spaying resident cats so they cant reproduce is the recommeded method - see link

http://www.cats.org.uk/transport.asp...eral-neutering
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Now folks ive been doing a bit of checking up on shooting of so-called feral cats in the UK, to begin with here is a link to the Cats Protection Leagues policy on feral control - in it it says that removing said cats is no use as another colony will simply move in. Neutering/spaying resident cats so they cant reproduce is the recommeded method - see link

http://www.cats.org.uk/transport.asp...eral-neutering
Already said that Ive trapped for them, however, you will find them rather uwilling to do this now, or less willing shall I say. We had one near here, they wouldnt help, that was recently.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Already said that Ive trapped for them, however, you will find them rather uwilling to do this now, or less willing shall I say. We had one near here, they wouldnt help, that was recently.
We have always fouind them more than helpful and I was under the impression that they had a nationwide policy on it. I'll check that up and if they have than the branch near you wants a kick!

rune
Page 35 of 37 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 >