Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:39 PM

How many hours is to many?

I am gettin mixed views on this so what do u all reckon how many hours is to many to work with 2 dogs at home?
I will be getting a dog walker in but it wont be happening just yet as I dont have the funds for it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Mine go four hours, but they are adult dogs

HTH
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:46 PM
it depends on the dogs,, it would be lovely if i didn't need to work, but unfortunately as do a lot of people i need the money to own dogs in the first place. Anyway mine are left around 6hrs there are 4 of them and they have the free run of downstairs, they are walked before work,and given a good run after up the woods they have all our time when we are home, and we very rarely go anywhere without them. They are springers so high energy/maintenance this works well for my lot
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I would never leave mine for more than 4/5 hours at the most.
But then I am lucky I dont have to work full time! I realise not everyone is lucky. But then again if I was working full time I wouldnt have got the dogs in the first place.
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Due to a massive change in my circumstances I have to work full time I have no option in this but I have worked to hard to keep hold of my dogs to just give up on them,
I realise its not the most ideal situation in the world but surely if i get a dog walker in they will still be ok?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Sorry hope I didnt make you feel bad...didnt mean it like that...I was talking about my personal situation!

Of course they will be fine and of course you shouldnt give up on them! They will soon get used to it tho a dog walker would be a great idea x
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:00 PM
It wasn't aimed at u sorry hun

I just meant as a general question if i get a dog walker in will the girls be ok?x
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:04 PM
My NI has a dog walker and he is fine. I guess it depends on the dogs themselves and if they get bored easily or don't like being alone.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Selkie and Pharaoh would happily go for 6 - 8 hrs and barely twitch.. They are old and steady dogs and have at various points been left for 6+ hours.

Kismet is a different matter. I work part time, two days I am away 8hrs. On those days I have a cleaner or pet sitter/ dogwalker to come in and break up her day into 4hr sections...

Most dogs have owners who work full time (if we didn't we couldn't afford the insurance). With a pet sitter, they will be fine and until you can afford the pet sitter, try getting someone to pop in at lunch time or see if you can. Just breaking up the day is enough. 4 hrs is the recommended generally... I try to keep to 6hrs as the absolute maximum I would ever leave them.. But I start getting twitchy and panicky after 5hrs
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys how on earth do i go about finding a good dog walker/sitter?x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >