Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2009, 04:52 AM

Dog DNA breed test

Has anyone tried one of these?

I am so curious about what my boy is made of. I can guess but I work better with facts.
Also, just occured to me that it could be used to find out what is in the wolf lookalikes that everyone argues about.

How do the kits work?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2009, 05:35 AM
also useful for 'pit bull type' injustices as well
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 06:37 AM
one of the girls on an american forum I go on got a DNA kit from petsmart, and found out what dogs were behind her cross breed, it was very interesting, and when the results came through you realised it WAS correct. think they are a great aid, and as mentioned would clear up an awful lot.

Mo
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 07:01 AM
The 'kit' is usaully a cheek swab which you then send off to a laboratory for them to do the DNA analysis. If you want it done then chose your laboratory carefully as I'm pretty certain some are in it just for the money. Try to find a reputable one and if you can locate the one responsible for the original research then even better.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:36 AM
You cannot currently use them for finding out what breeds are in a dog. The DNA profiling (my dogs are done) are a definitive identitifaction, to prove beyond doubt your dog is your dog and also if nec, that your dogs progeny is your dogs progeny.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:50 AM
From results of these tests that I have seen on other forums, don't waste your money.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You cannot currently use them for finding out what breeds are in a dog. The DNA profiling (my dogs are done) are a definitive identitifaction, to prove beyond doubt your dog is your dog and also if nec, that your dogs progeny is your dogs progeny.
Yes you can, supposedly! Some people have said it's accurate others have said it's pointless. Many DNA laboratories offer this service at the moment.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Yes you can, supposedly! Some people have said it's accurate others have said it's pointless. Many DNA laboratories offer this service at the moment.
Becky
Show me please, I know somebody with a Lurcher that would be VERY interested in this!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, its been use din america for a couple years and vets over here are just starting.
it can be used for crossbreeds, will come in handy for pit bull type court cases.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 10:12 AM
click here
I have gone to VetGen because I've used them in the past and they do an awful lot of research. I don't think they have done the research themselves on the breeds and to be honest I have no idea how it's done to differentiate between the breeds. I suppose the only way to test them is to test a known cross and see what the results are!
Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >