Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 05:56 PM

Devon gets tough on Dog Poo

Browsing my local BBC news today I came across this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8046596.stm

Now i'm more than 100% behind the campaign and thing it is right that the are trying to do something about the dog poo problems but I think this advertising campaign is wrong.

Sure the parents/adults can read it but how about to a child who can't read?? In that case it's just a picture of a kid in the park playing with something brown and gooey and could possibly send the wrong message out to kids.

Anyone else agree or am i looking into it too much?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Have you seen the posters Esme?
I didn't know anything about the campaign until out and about today. I saw the first one on a bus shelter and had to do a double take at the second shelter.
Then I thought
There have been some very vociferous campagners in Torbay and although I agree with most of what they say, it looks like they have won the day. Before long dogs will be banned from everywhere, not just the beaches.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Gross!! I'd like to think that a child wouldn't chow down on $hit to the point were they got it all over their faces like that...*hurk*
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I haven't seen them in flesh, just on BBC Devon.

Although i think the principle of the campaign is a good idea and a worthy cause it unfortunately seems to tar all dog owners with the same brush and continues to put out the idea that we're all irresponsible and don't pick up after our dogs and it is a great shame for those of us that do as like you say we will soon be banned from everywhere.

But then if this is what it takes to get the irresponsible percentage taking notice and picking up after their dogs then so be it!

By the way Jen, that isn't one of Mo's turds in the ad is it?!?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=esmed;1681785]I haven't seen them in flesh, just on BBC Devon.

Although i think the principle of the campaign is a good idea and a worthy cause it unfortunately seems to tar all dog owners with the same brush and continues to put out the idea that we're all irresponsible and don't pick up after our dogs and it is a great shame for those of us that do as like you say we will soon be banned from everywhere.

But then if this is what it takes to get the irresponsible percentage taking notice and picking up after their dogs then so be it!

By the way Jen, that isn't one of Mo's turds in the ad is it?!?[/QUOTE]
Fame at last
Seriously though, just one minute, what about the irresponsible parents who are not keeping an eye on their children. The irresponsable parents who let their children run riot without supervision. (quite often tormenting other peoples animals)
Can you tell I prefer dogs to kids?
ETA oooops made a mess of quoting, but I am sure you understand!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=Nippy;1681798]
Originally Posted by esmed View Post

By the way Jen, that isn't one of Mo's turds in the ad is it?!?[/QUOTE]
Fame at last
Seriously though, just one minute, what about the irresponsible parents who are not keeping an eye on their children. The irresponsable parents who let their children run riot without supervision. (quite often tormenting other peoples animals)
Can you tell I prefer dogs to kids?

I'm glad you mentioned about the kids, i was going to but last time i did it got a bit ugly!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=esmed;1681801]
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post

I'm glad you mentioned about the kids, i was going to but last time i did it got a bit ugly!!
Oh right, well I'm sorry but reeeeeeealllly
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
I think its a good idea - its a bit much when my sons football team have to go on poo patrol before the kids can play football on the park pitch ! its not pleasant when the kids get covered in it, not to mention being a health hazard
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I know what you mean, they should have a campaign in my road for kids spitting in the street and instead of a child eating dog poo they should have a dog licking the spit covered street saying "Dogs will eat anything"!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I think its a good idea - its a bit much when my sons football team have to go on poo patrol before the kids can play football on the park pitch ! its not pleasant when the kids get covered in it, not to mention being a health hazard
You are absolutely right but once again the dog owner is being targeted, every dog owner. Not just the guilty ones.
I think most dog owners would be glad of a park or field where we can exercise our dogs without the anti brigade attacking us. We will pick up after our pooches.
In my town they even want to ban dogs on leads walking through town.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >