Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Ok, slightly off kilter but relevant to the original question.

When does it become the "norm" to hip score a particular breed and who makes the decision that it should become if not mandatory then at least accepted practice?
TBH the only "breed"that has no recorded case of HD(ie all the dogs tested would have scored 0:0=0)is the Racing Greyhound, a study was done on a large group of unrelated dogs(for reaearch into HD)& they all had no signs even of the mildest HD

IMHO all dogs should be scored before being bred from, even the toy breeds & those breeds not known to display symptoms. This includes non KC registered dogs(such as ISDS dogs, pack hounds etc)
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 07:54 PM
All mine are scored except for the youngsters and Spencer (Who will never be used at stud , and the babies get tested as soon as there old enough.
I'm lucky I use a vet about 5 miles away who uses sedation and he's excellent, but I would travel if I had to.
There is no excuse for mating an untested dog imo
KarenJ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
I've heard so many lame excuses for not hip scoring recently so thought it would be interesting to see other peoples opinions on the subject.

Is it ever acceptable to breed without hip scoring in a breed that is routinely scored? Say for example the ancestors of said dog all had scores below the BMS, would that excuse you from hip scoring?
I hip score, but thats just my opinion. A lady I know was telling me that her Mastiff developed very bad HD. He came from low HS parents. A vet was telling this lady that sometimes Hip Scoring isn't worth the paper its written on.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by KarenJ View Post
I hip score, but thats just my opinion. A lady I know was telling me that her Mastiff developed very bad HD. He came from low HS parents. A vet was telling this lady that sometimes Hip Scoring isn't worth the paper its written on.
I think though that this can highlight things in the breed... for instance, what were the HS of the grandparents, was there HD in the lines previously...

And of course, there is the caveat that just because both dogs have low HS, doesn't mean that every pup will have a low HS too.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

And of course, there is the caveat that just because both dogs have low HS, doesn't mean that every pup will have a low HS too.
Random exceptions are always a possibility, but the likelihood of the pups having a low score is much, much greater if they come from low scoring parents than if they don't.

Mick
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
This happens a lot in ESS, many breeders breed and then hip score!

For me there is no excuse for not hip scoring. As far as I'm concerened hip scoring should be recommended in every breed, whether it's a problem or not. Surely that's the only way to prevent the problem and if there isn't a problem, to make sure it stays that way?!
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by KarenJ View Post
Hip scoring is worth a lot more than the paper it's printed on, like I'm sure I've said elsewhere it's not an exact science but it's the best guide breeders have, not hipscoring is taking unnecessary risks.

Two eye screened parents could both be normal themselves but be carriers and produce affected offspring, does that make eye screening not worth the paper it's printed on?
KarenJ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
Hip scoring is worth a lot more than the paper it's printed on, like I'm sure I've said elsewhere it's not an exact science but it's the best guide breeders have, not hipscoring is taking unnecessary risks.

Two eye screened parents could both be normal themselves but be carriers and produce affected offspring, does that make eye screening not worth the paper it's printed on?

Well this is why I thought it weird that the vet came out with this to her, and I do believe she said it was down at one of the vetinary hospitals. When Sidney is a year old I'll get him scored as well, as I do think it important.
bordercollie6
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2009, 06:25 PM
No should all be hip scored.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2009, 06:27 PM
All dogs should be ''everything'' scored!! It should be illegal to sell, or buy a pup that has not had parental health checks!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >