Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 12:31 AM

*ratlet is making strange noises*

as you all know we got a new addition today, a baby rat,, well the thing is although i never get animals from pet stores i fell in love with this lil one in PAH,, the problem??

she is making some really strange noises and biting at her fur this is my 7th ratlet and ive never heard them be this vocal,, she sounds like she is coughing or sneezing?? very strange and seems to squeak an awful lot

does anyone know if this is normal??

we are having probs with nemo and the new addition too but thats another story and will save it for tomorrow, nothing ever runs smoothly in this house
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Poor little thing, Kimberley I don't know much about rats...has this problem started since you had her, can you see anything on her skin..a rash/mites, maybe she has a cold or an allergy if she is coughing or sneezing, it certainly doesn't sound normal and maybe she should see a vet...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
as you all know we got a new addition today, a baby rat,, well the thing is although i never get animals from pet stores i fell in love with this lil one in PAH,, the problem??

she is making some really strange noises and biting at her fur this is my 7th ratlet and ive never heard them be this vocal,, she sounds like she is coughing or sneezing?? very strange and seems to squeak an awful lot

does anyone know if this is normal??

we are having probs with nemo and the new addition too but thats another story and will save it for tomorrow, nothing ever runs smoothly in this house

I would take her back tomorrow and let their vet check her over Kimberley cos they are insured for 7 days against illness I think. We did this with a guinea pig that had a cold when we got it and their vet treated it for free because it was still under their insurance. It should say on your receipt.

Hope she is okay poor thing.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 10:50 AM
thanx foxy, didnt know that

she is deff still coughing/sneezing/wheezing,, im gunna post a wee bit on a rat forum and see what they think, i was gunna take her back but ive fell in love with her already
so dont think thats an option lol, will talk to PAH and see what they say
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by nemosmummy
thanx foxy, didnt know that

she is deff still coughing/sneezing/wheezing,, im gunna post a wee bit on a rat forum and see what they think, i was gunna take her back but ive fell in love with her already
so dont think thats an option lol, will talk to PAH and see what they say

It usually says on your receipt that the animal is insured for 7 days from purchase. It does sound like she has got a cold so I would take her back to be checked over because I think all the pets at homes have vets in the store haven't they?

I do hope the poor little thing is okay Kimberley

I wouldn't post on a rat forum if I was you - you will get told that you shouldn't have bought her from Pets at Home in the first place - they don't like pets shops

Good luck anyway and keep us informed how the poor little girl is
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 11:00 AM
She sounds like she has mites or lice (highly likely if she is from THAT petshop - they ALL do). Also she sounds like she has a respiratory infection - likely due to being kept on wood based litter in the shop. I hope you're not keeping her on wood now? if so, please take her off it as it';s really dangerous. I would say she needs a vet trip with Ivermectin for mites/lice x2 youll need to take her back at a later stage, and oral baytril for her infection - i would say to feed it in baby food.

I advise you join the fancy Rats forum - emnail me ffor the address.

xx

oooh... eta - foxy - no one on our forums jumps on anyone for buying from a petshop - we advise against for many obvious reasons - lining the pockets of kitten farmers basically. it's not different to buying a dog from a puppy farm. What we can do on our forums is help kimberley make the best choiuces for giving her rats a good life.

xx
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
She sounds like she has mites or lice (highly likely if she is from THAT petshop - they ALL do). Also she sounds like she has a respiratory infection - likely due to being kept on wood based litter in the shop. I hope you're not keeping her on wood now? if so, please take her off it as it';s really dangerous. I would say she needs a vet trip with Ivermectin for mites/lice x2 youll need to take her back at a later stage, and oral baytril for her infection - i would say to feed it in baby food.

I advise you join the fancy Rats forum - emnail me ffor the address.

xx

oooh... eta - foxy - no one on our forums jumps on anyone for buying from a petshop - we advise against for many obvious reasons - lining the pockets of kitten farmers basically. it's not different to buying a dog from a puppy farm. What we can do on our forums is help kimberley make the best choiuces for giving her rats a good life.

xx
hi hun,,

unfortuneately i found a mite/lice on my lil girl last night poor little baby, im so glad i got her out of there
i will be going back to PAH this evening as the rats are still under 7 day gaurantee and telling them i want their vet to see the rats and treat them accordingly, will let you know how i get on

i joined the fancy rats forum last night seems like a friendly enough place, look forward to gettin the same support advice on there as i do here

feel free to pm me if you think theres anything im doing wrong