Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Ben, Alaskan Malamute x wolf

It is with a heavy heart I have to say that yesterday morning I took my beloved Benny Bobo to the vet to be put down.

He was 12, an amazing age for a dog who had had such a terrible start in life. He was a big, big dog, very slim but weighing in at 45 kilos. I don't want to go into the details, but basically he was going down fast due to old age. His heart and all his organs were fully functioning, but his quality of life was deteriorating such that it was no longer an option to keep going. He died peacefully in my arms, and suffered not a jot.

I am so privileged not only to have had his father Hal in my life for 10 years, but to have been fortunate enough to have been in a position to adopt Ben ... a nightmare of mixed up, screwed up, aggressive and totally belligerent 45 kilos of muscle, sound and fury, determined to flatten any dog that came within striking distance. He learned to trust us quickly following a full on attack on hubby Mike shortly after we got him whereby he shredded Mike's hand to the point that the nerves in that hand are permanently damaged. We kept the faith with him, and he never forgot it, going from strength to strength with people but remaining a real challenge with other dogs. We got there in the end, and as he entered seniority he calmed down and became a delight in every way.

God bless you Ben, thank you for the past 7 years. You have taught us so much you old git and I hope you are united with your father Hal creating havoc over the Bridge
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2018, 10:57 PM
So sorry Gnasher. It hurts like hell, even when we have known that it was coming for a while.
Run free Ben.
Bumblesnout
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2018, 05:44 AM
Sorry for your loss RIP Ben
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-07-2018, 06:43 AM
So sorry to read you have lost Ben.

Run free at the bridge Ben.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2018, 06:48 AM
So sorry to read of your loss. Tears say it all. Take heart that you did your very best and at the end did what you had to do. Run free Ben.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Thank you all. It is so hard to always do the right thing ... which is what is in ben's best interests in this case ... at least I am not burdened with the guilt of whether we did the right thing, I know we did.

As was his father before him, he is unforgettable. Run free my beautiful Benny Bobo
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
God bless you Ben, thank you for the past 7 years. You have taught us so much you old git and I hope you are united with your father Hal creating havoc over the Bridge

And God bless him from me too. Everything you wrote about him reminded me of our Baruska, he was obviously a true 'leader' and determined to ensure all dogs (and humans) followed his commands. There are not many humans or dogs around like that these days.

So sorry for you, have just lost our Lara so know what you are feeling.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2018, 08:46 AM
So sorry to read you have lost Ben

Run free Ben.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2018, 09:05 AM
So sorry xx
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Run free at the bridge Ben, Nikki you gave him a good life. R.I.P. Ben.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >