Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2007, 07:53 AM

Training class treat ideas?

Title says it all really - Im after some ideas for something healthy-ish to give Tigger at class. I've tried the usual cheese and bits of hotdog and to be honest, I find myself worrying that he's getting too much of them, as he needs a lot of 'pay attention to me only' work while we're there!

Plus the cheese starts to stick to my hands and it feels awful. LOL

Any better ideas, maybe something dry and not too high in fat? Mind you, he wont pay any attention to a piece of dry kibble so thats out.

Or do I just need to stick a peg on my nose and get baking that liver again?

What do you all use when you're training?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 08:05 AM
There is a treat you can buy from most pet shops called coachies, they are tiny little treats that smell....low in fat etc.also, dried liver from the pet shop can be cut into small pieces and used.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 08:08 AM
In the past I have bought a cooked chicken from the supermarket and cut pieces off that, also packets of sliced meats from the chiller, dried liver is good too. Like you I did not like giving out loads of hot dog sausages because it is something I would not eat myself
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2007, 08:29 AM
hi tigger2!

i use cheese, hotdog sausage, baked liver, kibble, black pudding (very messy though!!). i also use puppy treats from PAH, they're like little bones, i usually break them in half. i mix all these treats together in a tub and just put it in the fridge and use whenever. the kibble then tastes like all the other stuff!!! i only use the 'high value' treats when he's learning something new or for a particular hard exercise when he's giving me his undivided attention
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2007, 09:03 AM
homemade liver cake works a treat, dry to the touch and healthy and you make it yourself so you know exactly what goes into it, only downside is the pong while cooking, but the dog will love you for it
Meg
Supervisor

19-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi Tigger you can try a human cereal without additives or sugar from the health food shops, there is one made of oats.
My preference in hot weather is baked liver and it really doesn't smell that bad and only takes a few moments to cook. I simmer the liver in a little water first, you can buy boil in the bags and put it in those so it doesn't smell, then cut into tiny pieces,spread on a sheet and bake till firm, tiny pieces only take about 10 mins.
Fish4Dogs (on the net) do tiny treat sized pieces of dried fish, they don't smell and are nutricious too.
If you are using a hard cheese you can freeze small amounts of tiny pieces in little bags for training classes.
It is good to have a mixture of treats too, some high value like the liver of fish, the cereal is low value.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 09:30 AM
You can make sardine cake too...same as liver cake only substitute the liver with tinned sardines.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 11:51 AM
has anyone any recipes for the liver/sardine cake?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2007, 12:04 PM
8oz liver or 2 tins sardine (in tomato sauce or oil - whatever your dog prefers)
4oz plain flour (or rice flour if gluten is an issue)
2 eggs
2 cloves garlic
any veg you like (optional)

Put liver/sardine in food processor & whizz for a few seconds. Add all other ingredients and whizz again til it looks like something the cat threw up :smt078 Pour into lightly greased baking tin and bake at 180 degrees for 25-30 mins (until golden brown).
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Have a look here
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=50062
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >