Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I do try to educate my owners as to what health issues there are in my breed and what to look for in an advert, most of them had absolutely no idea until I told them. If you do find the GSD one, you'll sob your heart out, absolutely beautiful boy and he died because his breeder wouldn't shell out LESS than the cost of one puppy out of ONE litter
A lot of potential owners only see cute puppies and not realise the extent of some health issues associated with the breed they are looking at, unfortunately GSDs are a big one that will always break my heart. Breeders of these gorgeous dogs have so much to answer for! I wish there were a way to fix things.
I'll watch the one with the GSDs because I always think it's better to know what's happening out in the world of dogs than hope for the best - I'll have Loki my cuddle buddy, a glass of wine and loads of chocolate at the ready!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 06:05 PM
I go to a GSD club to train with the girls (Zen at present) and I see some real sights and meet some clueless people. Also meet lovely people and their dogs, not only GSD's, but it is a shame what has happened to them, some can barely walk. How they get away with it in the showring baffles me. Thats why I wish Supervet would very occasionally explain the reason behind some of the possibly genetic conditions he encounters, not only GSD's either, there was an American Bulldog on that had elbow dysplacia, cannot remember if the hips were bad as well, but I do know that all the dysplacias can appear together in dogs. I know of someone with a dog, he's either a Huskamute or Malamute, who they bought as a puppy. They got him home, and he was blind, ended up taking the breeder to Court, she claimed he could see when they took him. Their vet said MRD and never been able to see. He is not only blind but has hip and elbow dysplacia as well, a classic example of a so called breeder not giving a damn as to the welfare of their puppies and their ultimate end. He could have been dumped in rescue, abandoned etc. Very lucky boy in that the people have kept him and taken on the seemingly endless vet bills he has generated, lots of them wouldn't have been that lucky. I only know all about it because they came to me for a puppy purely because my girls are eye tested and hip scored, and the puppies litter eye screened before they leave me, and that was what brought them to my door. But they were totally oblivious to these type of health problems before it happened to them.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:14 PM
I go to a GSD club to train with the girls (Zen at present) and I see some real sights and meet some clueless people. Also meet lovely people and their dogs, not only GSD's, but it is a shame what has happened to them, some can barely walk. How they get away with it in the showring baffles me. Thats why I wish Supervet would very occasionally explain the reason behind some of the possibly genetic conditions he encounters, not only GSD's either, there was an American Bulldog on that had elbow dysplacia, cannot remember if the hips were bad as well, but I do know that all the dysplacias can appear together in dogs. I know of someone with a dog, he's either a Huskamute or Malamute, who they bought as a puppy. They got him home, and he was blind, ended up taking the breeder to Court, she claimed he could see when they took him. Their vet said MRD and never been able to see. He is not only blind but has hip and elbow dysplacia as well, a classic example of a so called breeder not giving a damn as to the welfare of their puppies and their ultimate end. He could have been dumped in rescue, abandoned etc. Very lucky boy in that the people have kept him and taken on the seemingly endless vet bills he has generated, lots of them wouldn't have been that lucky. I only know all about it because they came to me for a puppy purely because my girls are eye tested and hip scored, and the puppies litter eye screened before they leave me, and that was what brought them to my door. But they were totally oblivious to these type of health problems before it happened to them.
Your girls are gorgeous and a breed I always find intriguing. I meet so many people who 'think' they know about GSDs but when you start asking in depth questions not just about health but exercise and intelligence they are clueless
I really wish there were more breeders like yourself in my breed and unfortunately now I'm losing so much faith that it's made me question whether I could now find a second pup. Loki has lightly shown but the other dogs in the ring are.... Scarily put together and it's upsetting. I've left shows or avoided watching my own breed because of the sights god there's so many lovely breeds being over bred incorrectly that are no longer fit for their original purpose she it will always break my heart
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Big apologies have now put this on the right thread maybe this comment can be removed.

I watched and what a wonderful job Noel did. Beautiful puppy I do hope the person in charge of the dog that attacked him was dealt with.
Originally Posted by CrazyDogLady View Post
I was wondering the same Lynn, if the owner of the other dog was even aware of the damage they caused
I also wondered about the owner of the attacking dog, and whether they paid for Murphy's treatment.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same. There is no guidance sometimes. I was thinking whether it was a wise move to take the puppy back to the park actually, but it did show them with friends who were obviously aware of what had gone on and kept their eyes open. Shame it had to happen at all
Often, when dogs come in with hip and/or elbow dysplacia, he never says anything about how it is preventable by choosing a puppy from an owner that health checks. I do know that its not always the case, one of my friends has a GSD from 2 hip/elbow scored parents, low scores, and her hips are in the 30's. One that stood out for me was a GSD puppy that was pts he was in that bad a shape, so his devastated owner then went out and bought his half brother another a St Bernard, they had bought 2, one was pts at 8 months and the other was able to be operated on. All the suffering that could have been alleviated, not to mention the vets bills, by just that one thing that all responsible breeders should do.
I believe the GSD pup was from extensively health tested parents and an excellent breeder. Sadly, these type of anomalies do crop up in such litters occasionally. It was heartbreaking to watch.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:47 PM
I do try to educate my owners as to what health issues there are in my breed and what to look for in an advert, most of them had absolutely no idea until I told them. If you do find the GSD one, you'll sob your heart out, absolutely beautiful boy and he died because his breeder wouldn't shell out LESS than the cost of one puppy out of ONE litter
See my other post. I believe the pup came from one of the most respected GSD breeders in the UK, who extensively health tests her own stock and those that are used by her. The pup was an anomaly. Heartbreaking, but even the most ethical breeders will occasionally have this happen.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I also wondered about the owner of the attacking dog, and whether they paid for Murphy's treatment.
I was wondering if the show pays for the treatments (or some of) or if it's the owners? I've always wondered as not sure insurances would cover all the advance treatments that he provides?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 06:52 PM
I would think the puppy was insured, not too bad if you've only got the one dog. I have no idea what his fees are, I would imagine they are out of reach to every day people unless they have insurance. My insurance put their prices up so high I couldn't have insured them and fed them. Lona had 2 ops at the same time a few weeks ago, and biopsies.Still cost me less than a year's insurance based on what they wanted, so I look at it as I'm still on a winner, but something like Noel did, the boarding fees for him and the scans, I bet the bill was into 5 figures. The owner of the dog that attacked the puppy could be sued, but doubt if he would have the money, or even acknowledge ownership of the dog for that matter.
CDL, I have a lot of ex GSD people come to me who can no longer tolerate what has happened to their breed. What on earth is wrong with a straight back, leg at each corner, wonderful gait, and ears that don't look they've been borrowed from a donkey. From the comments I've had from some quarters, its MY dogs that look 'wrong'. I beg to differ, they can move properly,they have decent posture and furthermore, looking at piccies of what used to be the 'Alsatian' they are not far off them in appearance, But of course, the breed has 'moved on' where to, I have no idea, Planet Zog I think
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Moobli, really??? That amazes me that the pup had so many health issues coming from a breeder that did do the right thing.Sh!t does happen, of course it does, it amazes me that despite all the health testing that does take place, HD is still a problem, despite everything else that is done, i.e. feeding and care in exercise of a youngster. Nothings ever 100% certain and you can get throwbacks, years later, but still..............
he was certainly a beautiful dog.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 06:59 PM
from what i recall of the owner relaying what happened he actually said the other dogs owner shouted "don't let him get to your dog" so obviously some history there and would be aware of what had happened, if your dog has a problem...lead and muzzle in public, no doubt the dog would have paid the price. was so very pleased the pup made it and i felt so sorry for his owner, waiting all his life for a dog and having had him 5 weeks for that to happen...awful
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >