View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 07:16 PM
How would they know whether it would moult or not, if it's sold as a puppy of 7/8 weeks?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 07:36 PM
I have got 3 labradoodles coming at the moment for training and 2 cockerpoos....
The 2 cockerpoos look like mini poodles that have been left long coated - (I really upset one woman when I explained if we cut it in a lamb cut it would look exactly like a poodle. She was very offended - I cannot understand why you be so offended that your dog looks like one of its parents!

the three Lab x's - 2 look like Labradors and one is a black and tan scruffy dog.
I asked why go for a Lab x if you are going to choose the one that looks like a lab.....it was just the one they fell in love with - despite the fact they went to get dogs that don't shed ....and the best bit......one of them wants to breed

I am on a run of these people coming training at the moment
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Didn't watch it. I can't see how it can be positive about a breed that doesn't exist!
Becky

Exactly! I wish I had known It was on, would have been some what Intresting to hear them talk about a non established breed, that has so much variation..

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
How would they know whether it would moult or not, if it's sold as a puppy of 7/8 weeks?
They dont! Doesnt stop false advertisement though.. another thing a new owner can take a breeder to court for If a pup goes on to moult when an advert clearly states..'non moulting'
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 10:33 PM
As it was an American programme did they show the numerous health problems in Labradoodles that are listed on an American health site?

Ive seen a few Labradoodles over the years and not one looked like another. Saw a gorgeous one a few weeks ago though he was stunning, black and sooo friendly. Saw another one at a fun show a few weeks ago and it looked like an overweight Hungarian Visla and he had it in the pedigree classes.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I really don't agree with giving any x breed a name. I asked a lady at training the other day if her dog was lab x poodle. She was quite offended and said no goldendoodle. I have to say though he was gorgeous. I just find it strange that people can be so naive as to pay out £1000's for a x breed, no matter how cute they are.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 11:47 PM
It is crazy, we have a working cocker x working springer, the other day on the beach we came accross another cocker x springer and the owner was so excited to meet another 'Sprocker' and the first question she asked me was how much I paid for Poppy, and I explained I paid £200 for her - and this included her microchip and injections, she was horrified, as she had paid £900 for hers! She was also offended when I told her it was a cocker x spaniel and didn't call it a sprocker. Ok, we were lucky because we found a gem and we didn't have to pay a fortune for her, but she wasn't from a breeder or puppy farm and we know the pups mum and dad very well. Poppy is our first and probably last puppy - as we will be getting any future additions to our household from a rescue. It is very sad that people are encouraging these breeders and paying stupid money for these pups.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No I think they are sold on to unsuspecting numpties as doodles. I`ve seen a fair few doodles who could be the offspring of just about any dog, TBH. Including one who was a Lurcher, or I`m a dutchman.
I like mutts (mongrels, crossbreeds, heinz 57 whatever) but calling them daft names and pretending they`re something special is a marketing ploy.
I am not sure whether the programme actually said to make sure (if you are looking at buying one) to get a first generation cross, I will have a look at it again today, (I still have it on my planner).

Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
As it was an American programme did they show the numerous health problems in Labradoodles that are listed on an American health site?

Ive seen a few Labradoodles over the years and not one looked like another. Saw a gorgeous one a few weeks ago though he was stunning, black and sooo friendly. Saw another one at a fun show a few weeks ago and it looked like an overweight Hungarian Visla and he had it in the pedigree classes.
Will check and get back to you ref what it said for health issues.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
Why can only recognised KC breeds be positive? Where did OP or the programme that you didn't wathc call them a breed?

Obviously having 2 we are biased, but remember there is no guarantee they won't moult; as for the training often they are quite hard to train because according to these professional trainers they have Poodle in them and SPs are stubborn and willful which explains why. This information has come from people who train dogs for Guide Dogs and Disabled Dogs and who train them day in day out.
Where did I say only KC breeds are positive? The KC only recognises a tiny proportion of the worlds dog breeds!! The title of this thread is designer 'breeds' so they must have been portrayed as a breed, which even you have stated they are not!!

Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
If you got your way what would you do with the Labradoodles that you so obviously hate Mahooli?? Put them down? Make a bonfire with them? You have so much hatred and dislike for them which is YOUR choice but should someone object to your breeds and the fireworks start....YAWN same old, same old!
I don't hate them at all, it's not the dogs fault they are born. Where have I said I hate them, nowhere, what I object to is them being referred to as a breed, when they are not and being marketed as something they are not. If you go back through Dogsey you will see I have exactly the same issues with the wolf type dogs, but credit where credit is due, the people breeding these types of dogs are actually trying to create a breed with a proper standard and proper clubs etc. Doodle breeders don't they just breed doodles for no reason other than to produce doodles to sell.

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
It did mention that there are three different coat types and that the one of them has less dander than the other two.

Ref the man that started the breed, it did not say he regretted it but since Becky mentioned it , I have found a link. It does say that one in the litter was 'allergy free':

'While working for the Royal Guide Dog Association of Australia in the early 1980s, Conran was contacted by a vision-impaired woman in Hawaii. She needed an allergy-free guide dog since her husband had allergies to dogs. Though no breed is completely hypoallergenic, Conran decided to try crossing a poodle with a lab. Once he found a trainable poodle with a good temperament, he mated it to the lab and three puppies were born. The vision-impaired woman’s husband learned that just one puppy was allergy free.'

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle..._designer.html

The things is, if it is allowing people to own dogs, who would not be allowed otherwise, then surely that is a good thing. I imagine alot of people get them because they like the look, so I can't see puppies being culled (I think this is what you meant ClaireandDaisy?) in this day and age, well I certainly hope they are not.
I can't remember why I quoted this lol!
Becky
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No I think they are sold on to unsuspecting numpties as doodles. I`ve seen a fair few doodles who could be the offspring of just about any dog, TBH. Including one who was a Lurcher, or I`m a dutchman.
I like mutts (mongrels, crossbreeds, heinz 57 whatever) but calling them daft names and pretending they`re something special is a marketing ploy.
There are numpties buying allsorts of dogs - any decent dog purchaser would see both parents as well as the pups.
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
I really don't agree with giving any x breed a name. I asked a lady at training the other day if her dog was lab x poodle. She was quite offended and said no goldendoodle. I have to say though he was gorgeous. I just find it strange that people can be so naive as to pay out £1000's for a x breed, no matter how cute they are.
People can pay what they like for any dog pedigree or crossbreed - their money their dog...personally we wouldn't and didn't! Why do people assume all crossbreeds are £1000+?
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Where did I say only KC breeds are positive? The KC only recognises a tiny proportion of the worlds dog breeds!! The title of this thread is designer 'breeds' so they must have been portrayed as a breed, which even you have stated they are not!!

You didn't, I DID!

I don't hate them at all, it's not the dogs fault they are born. Where have I said I hate them, nowhere, what I object to is them being referred to as a breed, when they are not and being marketed as something they are not. If you go back through Dogsey you will see I have exactly the same issues with the wolf type dogs, but credit where credit is due, the people breeding these types of dogs are actually trying to create a breed with a proper standard and proper clubs etc. Doodle breeders don't they just breed doodles for no reason other than to produce doodles to sell.

I can't remember why I quoted this lol!
Becky
All breeders breed to sell and make money whatever their protests about "protecting the breed" - and as for the wolf-type dogs...well whilst I think they are gorgeous, they are as much a designer dog and a fad than any other crossbreed at the moment so can you explain your double standards? In many cases they are not even suitable as a normal family pet - ideal for certain activities but a difficult type and many people are wary of them and their temperament. There are people who love mongrels, people who love crossbreds and people who love pedigrees - it is all down to choice. The issue I believe is the bad manners of people who do not respect other peoples' choiceand are so rude about them... most people with any shred of manners and respect would just accept peoples' choice and not make assumptions and veiled judgements. How many threads do we have on here about Pedigrees and the costs or temperaments or the breeders??? None and imo that is because it is generally the pedigree and "Breed" owners who have problems with the popularity of crossbreeds. Do not tar all crossbreed owners as bad breeders, look closer to home - MUCH closer eh???
Why do we keep going over the same old same old - aren't other people who don't have grudges and bad manners sick of these repetitive threads?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I missed that episode, will have to catch it when it is repeated.

What I struggle to get however is this.

If you have a dog allergy that requires that you can only have a non/minimal sheading breed, then why go for a crossbreed where that most important of requirements is not assured. Doesn't make sense to me sorry.

Likewise, if you want a non sheading breed that doesn't have the temperament of a poodle, than why the hell, go for a crosbreed, which could verry well end up giving you the 2 things you required it not to have, that being, a poodles temperament, and a labs coat.

Poodles aren't the only breed that don't molt/molt little, something people might learn if they actually put time into researching suitable breeds, instead of just going to the first person who tells them what they want to hear.

So it is really quite simple.

You need a dog that is low sheading, go for a low sheading breed, either a poodle or other breed.

You don't want a dog with the temperament of a poodle, than don't get a poodle or poodle cross.

You can't be bothered to research suitable breeds, or go the extra mile to aquire one, than as the saying goes, caveat emptor.
Page 3 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »