Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Redrum
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Advice Needed, Please

Hi all,

Ok as some of you know I shall be getting my first dog soon, his name is Rocky and he is a GSD.The problem that I am having or should I say what I overlooked at is that Rocky is four year's old and will be leaving his old home to hopefully spend the rest of his days with me but will he adapt to his new home plus would he see me as the topdog or Alpha male, leader of the pack you get what I mean ,or would he see me as a lower rank compared to his old master

Plus would he miss his old home and react in a bad way such as been defencive (not ''agressive'', I dislike this word that is used toward's animal's of all kind's)

I will be greatfull for any advice what so ever no matter how small.

Thanks
Redrum
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 02:23 AM
You need to act like you are top dog. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at [Links removed]

Yes he will miss his old home. It may be a month or more before he starts to bond to you. Here are some things meant for puppies, but you can still do some of them with him to help bonding and leadership.

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.
Redrum
New Member!
Male 

16-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
You need to act like you are top dog. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm

Yes he will miss his old home. It may be a month or more before he starts to bond to you. Here are some things meant for puppies, but you can still do some of them with him to help bonding and leadership.

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.
Thank you very much for the advice. I see this will take time and paticenc but on the good side I've managed to find a Professional Dog Training Service here in Dublin plus it's at a very good price per lesson so I think this is a must do on my list.O and I've read all the info from the two link's you posted up and they were very helpfull too .

Thanks
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Some years back I took in a 5 year old GSD X...

I didn't do anything special, just let her adjust in her own time... She had her old bed and blankets with her... I did hand feed her for the first 2 weeks...

I don't think you can be 'top dog' unless you ARE a dog
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 08:49 AM
You need to act like you are top dog.

NO! NO! PLEASE!! Be yourself - you`re not a dog.
Be consistent, be clear and be kind.

Yes he will miss his old home. It may be a month or more before he starts to bond to you.

Have to totally disagree again. I`ve always had rescues. None of them have missed their old home. Dogs live in the Now. GSDs bond almost immediately.

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs,

And I really want to see you do this to a 4yo GSD !!!!!!!!!!! I think Labman hasn`t read your post properly

rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.
No it doesn`t It really doesn`t. You have complete control of food, environment etc. So he already looks to you for survival.

Each dog is different. I find rescue dogs hugely rewarding because you both need to find ways to live with each other, and the love between you grows so fast. There will be good days and bad days. But in the end you will have a new best friend.

Labman uses methods I wouldn`t. I`ve had GSDs for 40 years and found the best way to treat them is to use positive training. Please read other approaches and be kind to your dog.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with C&D all dogs and all dog owners are different and all react in different ways but just be yourself, act normally and be consistent.
Personally I've always found rescues/ rehomes to bond extremely quickly. Just make sure you both have fun with whatever you do. By all means have your rules and boundaries but don't be harsh with enforcing them. All dogs, like kids learn better when they're having fun. Hope it all goes well.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I agree with C&D all dogs and all dog owners are different and all react in different ways but just be yourself, act normally and be consistent.
Personally I've always found rescues/ rehomes to bond extremely quickly. Just make sure you both have fun with whatever you do. By all means have your rules and boundaries but don't be harsh with enforcing them. All dogs, like kids learn better when they're having fun. Hope it all goes well.
Ditto.

Respect is what will make your dog loyal and obedient. This is something that works both ways and takes time to build. But if you have respect for each other, you will have an unshakeable bond.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No it doesn`t It really doesn`t. You have complete control of food, environment etc. So he already looks to you for survival.

Labman uses methods I wouldn`t. I`ve had GSDs for 40 years and found the best way to treat them is to use positive training. Please read other approaches and be kind to your dog.
Yes I do, but then I have had extensive training by highly experienced professionals.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-10-2009, 10:17 AM
You need to act like you are top dog. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! do NOT try any of the above with this dog.the only sure outcome of doing this wil be ,you will get bitten, by a dog who you dont really know yet, and more to the point, does not know you !!!

Forget about all the "top dog" theories , he is a dog, you are a human, and the two (regardless of some thinking) dont see each other as the same species.

The dog will take a little time to settle in, he will miss his new owners for a while, but take small steps, allow him to set the pace....

Have your rules already set in place,,,, i,e if you dont want him upstairs, on sofa`s and such, implement them with kindness.

He should soon settle to his new routine, and learn to see you as his "carer" "owner"

Please do a search here on the site for "positive training methods" there is plenty about.

Remeber you have taken on a breed who is by nature a sensitive breed, they need kind but firm handling, you give him that and you will have a friend for life.

Go about it with a " I must dominate" regime and you will have a dog who does your bidding but out of fear , rather than love and respect
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes I do, but then I have had extensive training by highly experienced professionals.
That may be so, but dont you only deal with puppies from the age of 6wks to 12 mths

Hardly a fully grown adult GSD..is it... I would love to see you try "this at home" on such a dog
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »