register for free

Dog News

Pet pug Merlin dies on P&O ferry

...has received 31 comments (page 2)
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 02:15 PM
Eurostar and the euro tunnel are two different things.

Dogs can travel in your vehicle on the eurotunnel ( le shuttle)

Eurostar only allows assistance dogs.

HTH?
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Oh yes it does help. Silly old fool that I am. Thank you muchly.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Whenever my friend has travelled that route her dogs have had to stay in the van so I'm guessing no kennel facilities (unlike the Harwich-Hook of a Holland ferries). BUT if you have a flat faced breed surely it makes sense to plan to travel early/late or not at all? If there are no suitable facilities for the dogs maybe the owners should be allowed to leave the air con running in their vehicles as a last resort.
Merlinsmam
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2014, 07:19 PM
Thank you to all the insensitive know it all's out there that assume and presume without the facts.
The daily mail wrote an article without an interview! I mean, Calais to Dover in over 4 hours! It's a 90min ferry ride.
If you would like the facts please ask! Do not judge me on your presumptions from an online papers snippet!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Kirsty - Merlinsmam - I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved pug. I posted the article as it was a news story, and accepted it as being accurate, although had I thought I would have realised that Calais to Dover is not a four hour journey.

But I, like so many others, did not stop to think, which was very remiss of me. I had, after all, done that journey or similar [ie from Folkestone] many times in the past, both by ferry and by hovercraft, although never with a dog, just children and a van full of camping gear.

Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss, and please forgive me for having posted an article which had not first been checked with you by the Mail. I did not know that before posting it here.

Run free little Merlin, run free as fast as you can. xx
Merlinsmam
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Thank you.

Believe me, no one can make me or my husband feel any more guilt than we already do.

We are not pointing the finger of blame at the ferry company as some people believe, our petition is to change the policy.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer them as I know there is some confusion.

http://www.change.org/petitions/defr...share_petition
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Merlinsmam. It's such an awful tragedy.

When we have travelled to Ireland by ferry we have checked and been assured that the temperature is controlled on the car decks. We have never found the temperature to be too warm, even though we did use a fan in the car as well. I thought they all kept the temperature controlled. (We haven't used P&O.)

As for kennels - there are limited kennels available with the two ferry companies we have used and they have to be pre-booked. If you change your mind on the day, there may not be a kennel available.

I think it is disgusting that a company forced dogs to travel in cars in such awful temperatures. Disgusting.

Merlinsmam - I really am so very sorry for your loss. xxx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Signed.
So sorry to read about Merlin
Run free sweet boy xx
Merlinsmam
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Thank you x
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

23-07-2014, 07:49 AM
That's so sad to hear. Run free little one.

Perhaps the lady should not have sailed on that particular day because she must have known how hot it would be. Wonder too if she left the windows open for air to get in.

Perhaps the ferry line should think now of having kennels on board, or ask dog owners to bring crates for their pets to be put in and kept beside them whilst ferries are going from one port to another.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top