register for free

Dog News

Campaign launched to combat dog mess blight on farmland

...has received 59 comments (page 3)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
The info is out there if you look for it. This article is from four years ago ...

The NFU said there has been an increase in cases of a disease, neospora, which can be spread by dogs eating infected material from cattle, such as placentas from newly-calved cows
It is then spread through the dog’s faeces. The parasite survives for several months and can contaminate the pasture and water supplies.
Once cattle or sheep have the parasite, they are infected for life. It causes livestock to miscarry or pass it on to any surviving offspring.
Another parasite, sarcocystosis, is spread the same way and can cause illness and death in livestock.
Research suggests about one in five aborted cattle foetuses are infected with the neospora parasite, with an increase in the problem in recent years. Sarcocystosis has similarly been killing an increasing number of animals.
Full article here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle...untryside.html

However if you've made your mind up in advance that it's all lies well ?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Why would anyone invent such a thing anyway.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-05-2014, 09:09 PM
I think the phrase flogging a dead horse comes to mind here, if someone is obstinate to the facts, no amount of data is going to change their mind.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Well exactly. And Tawney the info you posted a link to came up in search as soon as I started typing the subject matter ... so not that difficult to find out about is it?

It's a novel concept to me that something can't be 'true' if you've never heard about it to date!

Then, when made aware of it, you decide it isn't true anyway!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't live in the UK and often I have to look extra hard for stuff regarding the UK. Also, I saw only links from the UK regarding the issue, I didn't see any American studies backing this. NOT saying they do not exist... only saying I did not see them.

Never once did I think (or say) that dogs should be allowed to do this Tang, so I don't think that I need to be attacked about what to do on my property etc. I also NEVER said it can't be true... so there is Jackie again twisting my words.

As for private property, if it's REALLY that private, then WHY are people's dogs allowed to walk out there to begin with? I've always found it strange since farms here are usually fenced and are always considered private property anyway.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 08:16 AM
What you said was you didn't believe it Myra. Surely that's the same as saying it isn't true?

I use Google dot com anyway! I ain't in the UK either! Google will return results from all over unless you tell it to restrict them.

All I'm saying is you wouldn't see stuff pertaining to the UK unless you went and looked for it. Just because it hasn't jumped out at you without you seeking the info doesn't mean it's unbelievable.

And again - it does come down to ownership of property - most Brits feel property they own should be invoilable, however just some seem to think it only applies to THEIR property - not the property of others. Or that farm animals are somehow not to be considered as 'animals' in the way their dogs are.

To a farmer they are not just animals they are his livelihood too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Also, I saw only links from the UK regarding the issue, I didn't see any American studies backing this. NOT saying they do not exist... only saying I did not see them.
So unless there are US studies to back it up, it cant be true OR you don't believe it .
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

02-05-2014, 08:56 AM
This report is from the Utah State University in the US.

https://extension.usu.edu/files/publ...AH_Beef_36.pdf

On page 5 the report states that both Neospora and Sarcocystis from dog faeces can cause abortion in cattle in the US.

[Found using google.co.uk]
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2014, 09:05 AM
The bit about walking on private property has been explained to mjfromga previously, but here we go again. In UK we have laws that give us a right to roam that covers much of the farming land in the country. Therefore dog walkers come into contact with livestock a lot, much farm land is not fenced so sheep and horses are sometimes on the roads and we have to drive with that in mind in many areas too. We operate a system here were farmers are at risk from us and we have to take responsibility for our dogs. We also have ancient rights of way going back many many hundreds of years, and if we want to protect them we have to take this seriously.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-05-2014, 09:48 AM
i really wish farmers would pick up their rusty barbed wire no longer in use, all is a balance i do pick up unless in a stick and flick area and i do ask others if i see them not doing so, i walk past farms on a daily basis that fall well short of what i would consider hygienic.
Please do pick up but lets not blame ourselves totally for the failings of the agricultural industry or was dog pooh to blame for CJD and foot and mouth as well. Oh of course lets blame the badger as well while we are at it.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top