register for free

Dog News

Pair condemned for producing “presweiler” pups

...has received 28 comments (page 3)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
One UK breeder describes Presa Canarios as “the beastliest dogs in the world”.
Not sensationalist at all!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:04 PM
@ twix - that's interesting. I guess people would just tell porkies though, I mean who checks these things?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
To be honest they do just look like BM crosses so no one would be any the wiser. Unless they were registered with DLR?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
@ Marley

Most if not all of the dog breeds we know today were created a century or more ago, before animal welfare laws came in. This meant that during the creation of a 'new breed' they could kill, cull and otherwise remove any defective animals from the breeding pool. They did not breed for money (they were usually very rich already with kennels at their disposal) so their prime motive was breeding the healthiest, best dog they could - either for looks or for working ability.

This would not be acceptable today, so where else would any puppies born that were unhealthy, had a nasty temperament, or were not quite suitable to carry the 'new breed' on - go?

They would go to anyone who would take them... and unless they were neutered or spayed beforehand, could still be bred from by anyone who wished to.... the 'new breed' would be riddled with problems and ill health.

It's already happened with several 'new breeds' - where people jump on a bandwagon and disregard testing, temperament and overall health... not to mention the puppy buyers who have been landed with dogs with issues and vet bills... or other breeds who are mis-sold and the pups end up in rescue.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 01:28 AM
What about the Eurasier? They're a relatively new breed, I wonder how they managed to create a new breed in the modern day? Assuming that they're not troubled with a lot of health problems?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 07:19 AM
They've done this for one reason only.

MONEY

They are yet another BYB churning out mixed breed pups.

It horrifies me, quite frankly........
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
MM what a fantastic post. That says it all doesn't it.

The way it was done centuries ago would not be allowed today. And as you quite rightly said as did LM breeds were created for specific reasons.

There is no reason to create a breed like this today. There are plenty of large powerful purebred dogs out there who would fit all of the criteria and which have been health tested and come from reputable breeders. There are also probably alot looking for the right experienced owners in rescues.

Neither the rotty or the presa, if in fact these were the breeds used in this cross, should be labled as aggressive, especially by an expert. This saddens me.

They are both strong powerful beautiful dogs and would make, I imagine, having no experience of either breed personally, fantastic pets with the right knowledgable owner.

Will all the puppies future homes be vetted properly, somehow I doubt it.

Will any future large breed bitch they chose to mate their dog with have a full history done and the breeder be properly researched, somehow I doubt this also.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
[q]What about the Eurasier? They're a relatively new breed, I wonder how they managed to create a new breed in the modern day[/q]

I would image the same way they did when creating all new breeds, the breed was created in the 60`s I think, same as the BRT, so I would think, modern ethics was not the same then, and lets not forget many countries ethics on animals are poles apart from here.

So culling the unsuitable in the litter to create a breed was probably the norm.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
irresponsible breeders!!! but very handsome looking dog! I personally love presas, you don't see many of them but the two i have met have been smashing dogs who wouldn't put a paw out of place.

What i would be concerned about, is the type of people a breed like this would attract. But i'm sure someone out there has already crossed them together.... There are lots of rottweiler crosses. We have had a rottweiler x bull mastiff in the centre where i work and i fell in love with him at first sight. Even when he rolled in horse poo, he was still the apple of my eye!

Sorry i'm waffling......... Yes, breeding big scary dogs sometimes does attract the wrong sort of people. And by advertising her dogs to stud, i would be concerned if she did breed her dogs with dogs of unknown history/background or with owners who have no clue in to how to raise a puppy. Let alone find the poor little pups lovely homes. (and avoid all the wannabee gangsters which will undoubetdly try and buy puppies or breed their "big ol touch dogs" to make "super tough dogs innit"
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top