View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
By tried anything/everything I am refering to be who have persited with one method for months at a time and who have tried other methods when its become obviouse the first isn't working.
I often work with dogs who are middle aged (6, 7, who have had their behaviour problem/training issue their whole life.

Adam
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
when i worked in rescue, it was amazing how all the people whom phrased it "we've tried everything" couldnt actually specifically explain what 'it' was that they had tried when i asked them.

it wasnt even a case they could describe the 'one' thing they had tried consistently
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
when i worked in rescue, it was amazing how all the people whom phrased it "we've tried everything" couldnt actually specifically explain what 'it' was that they had tried when i asked them.

it wasnt even a case they could describe the 'one' thing they had tried consistently
Thats because most dont ever put the time or effort in. Just think a dog knows how to behave with out guidance.
Stupied really isnt it? Its the dogs that suffer because of lazy owners.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:10 PM
This isn't the case with the majority of my clients.
However seeing as e collars are humane/acceptable imo I would have no issue using an e collar as the first option for certain problems, recall chasing ect.

A quick point about rescue. I know several dog who would have gone into rescues without the use of e colalrs. While I have no issue with rescues I think their horribly overburdened so anything that keeps dogs in happy in their home is a plus.

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
This isn't the case with the majority of my clients.
However seeing as e collars are humane/acceptable imo I would have no issue using an e collar as the first option for certain problems, recall chasing ect.

Adam
what because its quick results and you can leave with your money quick?

Problem is when that e-collar isnt on do you think a dog is going to carry on following what it was meant to have been trained while using the collar? I dont because its not trained really is it? Just acts against the cruel thing around the dogs neck.

People like you are bullies.....nothing more, nothing less. Not true animal behaviourist.....
........a con man, is how they describe trainers like you..
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Thats because most dont ever put the time or effort in. Just think a dog knows how to behave with out guidance.
Stupied really isnt it? Its the dogs that suffer because of lazy owners.
too true

when you work in rescue long enough you soon get used to the stock phrases

ie, when someone says to a rescue person "weve tried everything" they will instindtively know straight off these are the people most likely to have tried nought, or less than people that dont use that statement.

so its an odd case when a statement means the converse to the words used!
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
I charge by the hour, surely a long drawn out programe would be the most profitable!

Most dogs don't need to were the collar logn term. Some owners keep it for confidence though.

I'll use whatever tool/technique is best to get a good result for dog and owner.

Adam
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I charge by the hour, surely a long drawn out programe would be the most profitable!

Most dogs don't need to were the collar logn term. Some owners keep it for confidence though.

I'll use whatever tool/technique is best to get a good result for dog and owner.

Adam
to be fair, you can level many things at e collar trainers, but the money angle aint one of them, as its a quick fix.

hence, by defintion, cheaper than a programme.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
when i worked in rescue, it was amazing how all the people whom phrased it "we've tried everything" couldn't actually specifically explain what 'it' was that they had tried when i asked them.

Kruse if you remember we get the same thing on here. I have previously asked people what they have tried and how long for, a day, a week. a month? How long?

Some people seem to expect instant success when teaching dogs a required behaviour and as a good trainer you know it can take weeks of patience. It always amazes me how lacking in consideration some people can be.

Let's all just stick an e collar on a dog to teach it something quickly and to hell with the dogs wellbeing and any other problems which might arise as a consequence of using an e collar. After all the main concern with some people seems to be teaching a dog certain behaviour who cares about the dog as a whole
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Adam
More the fool that pays you, and lets you bully their dogs.
Page 42 of 77 « First < 32 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 52 > Last »