Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:26 PM

Dog urine problem still

My siberian husky mishka a month or so ago was on antibiotics for a possible uti, was licking her vulva lots, leaking urine & had crystals, high ph too. She was on the cd vets diet too. she finished the pills & after a month came off the cd food & went back on normal diet of dry chappie kibble. well for a while she was fine but has started to lick her vulva alot again. Went to vets today who checked her urine again & found mishka has high ph , little blood & crystals, high Alkaline ? in urine again . so put on the cd food now. she has no treats when on this cd food . what i want to ask is does anyone know of any dry foods that could lower mishka's ph, alkaline levels in urine?other than using vets foods.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:32 PM
rose my wee sharpei showed signs of crystals in her urine from 16 weeks old, when she was at her worst she was put on what the vet called a clean protien diet, white protiens, cottage cheese fish chicken ect...
there is also a great homeopathic site dorwest herbs, the guy there is great for advice, maybe a wee phone call to him would help, hope that helps a little, elaine x
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanx for that inkliveeva, may call him next week i think for advice.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Roxy had this and was put on CD diet too. It worked a treat, but I was lucky enough to be able to take her off it once the crystals had dissipated.
Any chance she could just stay on it, Rose? Probably an obvious solution that you've considered already.
Hugs to my special girly - hope she's feeling better soon x0x0x
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:04 PM
she could stay on it vicki but it gets really expensive with 2 dogs on vets diets at same time, but if she needs it we will get it in for her. Just wandering if there is anything else we could try for her.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
she could stay on it vicki but it gets really expensive with 2 dogs on vets diets at same time, but if she needs it we will get it in for her. Just wandering if there is anything else we could try for her.
Yep, I remember the cost only too well - in fact I refused to buy it from the vet - at 78p a tin - and bought it online as it worked out much cheaper.

Hope you can find a more affordable kibble that'll suit, Rose. It's no fun sometimes, is it mate?

*hugs* xx
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:40 PM
No fun vicki, but we must keep our beautiful mishka moo healthy & happy hey huni. lol
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Don't know if this will help but I googled for you and came across this.

Dietary therapy is useful for treating and preventing struvite stones in pets. Since the struvite stones form in urine with a high pH (alkaline urine), diets should help to maintain a low pH (acidic urine). Diets with animal-based protein sources are most important in maintaining an acidic pH (vegeterian or cereal-based diets are more likely to cause and alkaline urine). Homemade diets are preferred for dogs with chronic bladder disorders such as bladder stones. If processed foods must be fed, most holistic veterinarians prefer canned diets (which contain large amounts of water) rather than dry foods.

Important: Before you start to feed your dog or cat a home-prepared diet, it is strongly recommended that you discuss your decision with your veterinarian or a holistic veterinarian. It is essential that you follow any diet's recommendations closely, including all ingredients and supplements. Failure to do so may result in serious health consequences for your pet.
2/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1 large hard-boiled egg
2 cups long grain, cooked brown rice
2 teaspoons chicken fat or canola oil
1/2 ounce brewer's yeast
1/4 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

This diet provides 780 kcal (enough to fulfill the daily amount required for a 25-pound dog), 42.9 g protein, 22 g fat, 92 g sodium (a high sodium diet).
Variations[LIST=1][*]Substitute 4 ounces of tuna (in water without sodium) or 1/4 pound of lean ground beef (or ground chicken or lamb) for cottage cheese.[*]Substitute 2 to 3 cups of potato, cooked with skin, or 2 cups of cooked macaroni for the rice.[*]Supply vitamins and minerals as follows: use Calcifood Wafers or Calcium Lactate tablets with a miltivitamin/mineral supplement using the label instructions.[*]When possible, use natural vitamins made from whole foods, rather than synthetic vitamins (although both can be used in combination), as the natural vitamins. Also supply plant phytochemicals,enzymes, and other nutrients not found in chemically synthesized vitamins. Use either Catalyn from Standard Process (at a dose of 1 Catalyn per 25 pounds) or Canine Plus from VetriScience (following label dosages) as a natural vitamin in this recipe.[*]For extra nutrition and variety, use fresh, raw or slightly steamed vegetables, such as carrots or broccoli (approximately 1/2 to 1 cup per recipe), as a top dressing for the diet. Most vegetables provide approximately 25 kcal per 1/2 cup.[*]Add supplements that can be beneficial, such as omega-3 fatty acids, plant enzymes, and a super green food or health blend formulaMedical Terminology: Diseases.

Prevention: Because the rate of recurrence is relatively high even after a successful treatment, preventive measures should be taken to help lower the odds, including special diets. To help preventbladder infections, make sure the dog is given an opportunity to urinate at least every 6 to 8 hours. The longer urine is retained in the bladder, the more likely it is to become alkaline and to develop infection. Provide plenty of clean drinking water to keep the bladder flushed of bacteria and to encourage frequent urination. Cranberry juice (either mixed in with your dog's food or administered to the mouth) stops certain bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall; ascorbic acid is also helpful for acidifying urine, as well as building up the immune system.
Other Natural Treatments Other therapies to consider for the pet with bladder stones include coenzyme Q10, alfalfa (to alkalinize the urine), dandelion leaf, goldenseal, horsetail, marshmellow, plantain, Oregon grape, uva ursi, yarrow and maitake mushrooms. These therapies can be used in conjunction with conventional therapies as needed. The natural treatments are widely used with variable success but have not all been thoroughly investigated and proven at this time.
Breeds susceptible to bladder infections that can prompt the formation of small stones are boxers, poodles, dalmatians, dachshunds, German shepherd dogs, pugs, Irish and cairn terriers.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanx for that info zoeybeau1, very helpful.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't know if my experience is of any help, but Shady had a lot of problems and was diagnosed with crystals in her urine and we were back and forth to the vets a lot.
She had also had at different times endless bouts of severe sickness.
For the sickness I took her off of dried food and put her on tinned Chappie chicken and rice flavour. She has been fine since and has also never had another problem with her urine.
Whether this is just coincidence or whether the tinned Chappie has cleared the crystals I don't know, but I don't want to put her back on the dried to find out as she hasn't had a problem for a very long time now.
It may be worth a try.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >