Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 08:46 AM

Toilet Training Dobie Puppy

Hello again guys.

I am getting a bit confused/fustrated with Roxy at the moment. She wee's outside no problem, but she keeps pooing in the house. I have got her to poo outside twice and clicked and treat but she really holds it in until she is back in the house. This morning i sat outside for about 20 minutes and she whined to come back in so i let her in and she pooed in the kitchen

I dont get it? She wee's absolutly fine outside, she can do that without the click and treat now, she just wont do number 2's out there

any ideas?
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I dont know if your using a crate but if it were me then I would crate her after bringing her back in, wait about 20-30 minutes and then take her back out again. Keep doing it until she goes outside. Id also keep her on leash outside and give her a command word like 'go potty' (or something), keep saying that to her but dont let her play or anything until shes done what she needs to do, then just as shes finished but before she is all the way standing again give her loads of praise 'good potty' (or whatever word you use) and give her the treat.

As for inside, if you dont have a crate (I would recommend getting one) but you could keep her on leash and keep her with you, as soon as she starts to get in the position to poop, a quick NO and take her straight outside, you already know she needs to go but dogs have a habit of getting sidetracked and forget what theyve gone out there for, perseverence and consistency is the key.

As for why they do things like this, could be a number of things, anything from shes just more comfortable going indoors(doesnt like the feel of the grass/ground shes on etc), its become a habit, something may have spooked outside once while she was in the process of going, could be a dominance thing but not necessarily, could be a nervous thing....the list goes on. If you can figure out what the cause is it might help but personally I would forget about the cause and just work on it as though you were starting from scratch with her. Initially I would try and let her pick the place she wants to go, a lot of dogs like a bit of a bushy area (or a 'hidden' area, somewhere were they think its hidden) and then take her back to the same place every time, you could even scoop up the next present she leaves you in the kitchen and take that out and put down in the place you want her to go.

(just my opinion)
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Flipper
Initially I would try and let her pick the place she wants to go, a lot of dogs like a bit of a bushy area (or a 'hidden' area, somewhere were they think its hidden) and then take her back to the same place every time, you could even scoop up the next present she leaves you in the kitchen and take that out and put down in the place you want her to go.

(just my opinion)
This is very true, she wee's in a 'bushy area'

I do have a crate, however she hates it.... still trying to get her used to that. Yeah i may just keep trying, she's probably doing it as like you say because its warm and comfy here...
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2006, 02:54 PM
Whats on the floor where she poo's?? if its anything absorbant it will hold the smell and 'lure' her back there -a little excercise will help get things going maybe a little game of ball and then when she does go you can give it a name (not the actual poo lol ) When Murph was learning I used to tell him '''and the rest'' till he poo'd then he was praised ..she's still only a baby and probably doesn't realise your waiting for Mr Poo I'd also leave some outside so she'll associate it with being outside
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy
Whats on the floor where she poo's?? if its anything absorbant it will hold the smell and 'lure' her back there -a little excercise will help get things going maybe a little game of ball and then when she does go you can give it a name (not the actual poo lol ) When Murph was learning I used to tell him '''and the rest'' till he poo'd then he was praised ..she's still only a baby and probably doesn't realise your waiting for Mr Poo I'd also leave some outside so she'll associate it with being outside
Im sorry to digress but Im howling with laughter at the naming of the actual poo. Murphy has called it "Mr. Poo" and the next one out is "Mrs Poo".
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2006, 03:17 PM
you can give it a name (not the actual poo lol )
Thats too funny.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Whats on the floor where she poo's??
Anywhere are eveywhere, she doesn't seem to go in the same spot twice.

This is what is confusing me though, the fact that she wee's outside but just wont poo

Also at what age do puppies start to 'ask' to go out?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-04-2006, 04:13 PM
the age they ask to go out varies, and even when you think yey thats it, they sometimes make mistakes. just keep on with it and eventually it sinks in. it will be easier once you start to take her for walks probably. Rio has been brilliant this week as she's been going out for the past 4 days, also she is now weeing on demand, even though its a tiddler sometimes, it shows she's getting the message. it seems like house training goes on forever sometimes but once it's done and you look back it's probably only taken a couple of weeks.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
the age they ask to go out varies, and even when you think yey thats it, they sometimes make mistakes. just keep on with it and eventually it sinks in. it will be easier once you start to take her for walks probably. Rio has been brilliant this week as she's been going out for the past 4 days, also she is now weeing on demand, even though its a tiddler sometimes, it shows she's getting the message. it seems like house training goes on forever sometimes but once it's done and you look back it's probably only taken a couple of weeks.

Hmm yeah Roxy seems to 'wee on demand' aswell now which i guess is good. Again sometimes she really forces it just to show shes done something.

I am only confused because in a lot of books it says a week max. Hence why i am on here to get your views. Like you said though i will keep at it and eventually it should sink in. Thankyou
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

21-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Carternm31
Hmm yeah Roxy seems to 'wee on demand' aswell now which i guess is good. Again sometimes she really forces it just to show shes done something.

I am only confused because in a lot of books it says a week max. Hence why i am on here to get your views. Like you said though i will keep at it and eventually it should sink in. Thankyou
blimey, no wonder you're confused. i think that is a tad optimistic, yes it can happen, but is probably the exception rather than the rule. it can take some dogs months. just stick with the advice it will work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >