Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2009, 08:37 PM

Arden grange vs Bakers complete gravy bites

our rather 'fussy' crossbreed terrier ( staffy/JRT)Toby, has been with us for a year he's 4 years old now though.
When we got him from the resuce kennels, they gave us some Arden grange food, with we then bought more of, but in the year we've had him he's been on and off his food, often takes one sniff of the Arden Grange then just walks off.
By chance my partner and i, thought we'd try a small 3kg pack of the new Bakers Complete Gravy Bites from tesco, and i can honestly say ive never seen Toby so interested in his food, he even goes back to lick the empty bowl, so the question is, is how bad is this new Bakers??
Ive read plenty of not so good reports about Bakers on here and are we taking a backward step with our dog by taking him off a 'premium' make food to a more run of the mill???
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Personally, i would say Bakers is more scraping the bottom of the barrel than run of the mill

Have you tried JWB if he doesn't like AG?
Bakers is Sooooo chock full of additives, etc, it's like pumping a whole load of E numbers into a hyperactive kid

Just MHO

Jann
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Look at it this way:

Arden Grange is like feeding a child organic food
Bakers is like feeding a child on McDonald's permanently.

Bakers is so full of additives and wheat, it is not good.

The ingredients in Bakers Gravy Bites are: "Cereals, Meat and animal derivatives (minimum 4% fresh meat in the soft moist kernel, minimum 4% beef in the red and brown kernels), Vegetable protein extracts, Oils and fats, Derivatives of vegetable origin, Various sugars, Minerals, Vegetables (minimum 4% Vegetables in the green and orange kernels)."

Cereals aren't good for dogs. These cause many allergies. Meat and animal deriratives can include brains, beak of chicken, feet, skin, fur etc. Again, deriratives is a word that dog food makers can get away with adding most stuff from an animal in. It doesn't mean meat?!

Arden Grange's ingredients are: "Lamb Meal* (min 30%), whole grain rice (26%), whole grain maize, beet pulp, chicken fat*, egg powder, dried brewers yeast, fish meal*, linseed, fish oil*, minerals and vitamins, nucleotides, prebiotic FOS, prebiotic MOS, cranberry extract, Chondroitin sulphate, glucosamine sulphate, MSM, yucca extract
*Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract."

So as you can see from the above, AG is a MUCH better food health-wise.

If you are wishing to cut costs down a bit (AG is pretty expensive to be fair), there are plenty of decent foods out there that aren't expensive...
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:52 PM
We changed Fudge from a premium food onto WAGG ashe seemed to absoluely love it. 6 weeks later we regretted it as all the additives had built up in her system and she was scratching like mad! Needless to say we have gone back to our first food.

The effects of a poor are not always instant,indeed thay often seem to love it. The additives and flavourings hook them.

If it was me I would look around the better foods to find one that she/he prefers. we compromised by using Burns dried food and adding the burns wet food to it(according to the web-sites ratio guidelines). She loves this and I know she is eating well too.
macapaca
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I so agree with the above posts and I think you should try to persevere with the better quality food if you can afford to but if he will only eat Bakers then its better than going hungry imo
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I put my Border Collies onto Pero Working Dog Active & it disappears in seconds, my oldest Cavalier, stole some of it & then refused to eat his normal food ! He's now on the same as the BCs & I must say he is even fitter than ever ! They do a food especially for SBT etc & the link takes you to a trial offer that won't break the bank

A good side effect of the WD food is the "old fashioned"pooh that the dogs now produce showing that they are taking all the nutrients from the food, they all look & are very fit on it with lots of energy.

I wouldn't give my dogs Bakers if it was the last dog food on earth, they would have my food first
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:00 PM
If you can't afford some of the more expensive "decent" foods, have you thought about raw feeding?

(Yes, here I go again lol)

To feed Jess, who is a 32kg GSD who is active, it costs me just under £24 per month (well probs every 6 weeks) to feed her. I have found this suits her more than the dry foods and she loves her food now, so it is much nicer to see than her leaving her food for days on end...
tobyx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-04-2009, 09:01 PM
thanks everyone for your quick replies and kinda confirming what i thought, what we might do is say giev toby one bowl of this 'junk food' every now and again but thats it back to AG or a similar
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

I wouldn't give my dogs Bakers if it was the last dog food on earth, they would have my food first
Ditto.....
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Some rescues put never feeding a dog Bakers as one of the conditions to which they will adopt a dog out. I have had a dog fed on Bakers before, we thought that because it was the most expensive one it was the best one, and she was so unmanagable on it (hyperactive, agressive) that we had to rehome her... If only I had known about Dogsey then, it was heartbreaking. Please don't feed him it!
ETA LOL my typing skills must have gone down the pan, 5 people posted during the time I was typing that
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >