Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Skin condition help

Murphy has got some sort of skin condition/infection...

He has lots of little bald patches, that start off with the hair coming out, attached to large flakes of skin.

The skin underneath afterwards is black and a bit scabby.
The bald patches are on his back and sides. He is not scratching or rubbing these areas, and they don't bother him when pressed/messed with.

We have ruled out a thyroid condition, ringworm and demodex. He has been on ABs for 3 weeks to see if it was a skin infection. The ABs don't seem to have made any difference.

Vet says the next step is a biopsy of one of scabby bits; however, until we get paid out by the insurance from this lot of tests (£350), I can't afford to pay out another £150+, given that I've just been made redundant.

Whilst they aren't causing him any bother, I'm still keen to get to the bottom of this.

I'll try and get some decent pics of the areas, though since Murphy is the wiggliest Boxer alive, it might be difficult!

Has anyone had any experience with any supplements (i.e. Dorwest Herbs, oils etc) that are for skin conditions? I am willing to give them a try to see if it clears anything up.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:51 AM
sorry to hear this hun, I was gonna message you to see how Murphy got on with his test results. would be good to have a look at a photo as someone might have seen something similar? Biopsy would be good I think when insurance cough up.
I've been giving Mya starflower oil capsules, this seems to be helping her fur, might be worth a shot giving something like this or evening primrose oil?
Hope you get him sorted and hope you are ok with everything that's been going on lately, big hugs. xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Has anything changed in his environment which could have triggered this response? Any change of food for example? Even a different treat? This can cause such a reaction.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Have you used a flea treatment lately? One of our dogs seemed to react very badly to a flea treatment (he didn't have fleas, was routine treatment I used to do)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 02:42 PM
They've not been treated for fleas (ever!), so it's not that.

I've bene trying to think about what they've been eating, and the only time I changed food was after this started (to a 'sensitive' food, that they both absolutely detested...). I don't think it's what they've been eating though...

I've done some google-ing, and have come up with Seasonal Flank Alopecia...which can be quite prevalent in Boxers (as well as Dobes, Bulldogs, Schnauzers etc). The hair should start to grow back in the Spring/Summer (hence the seasonal bit).

It can (apparantly) be treated with melatonin injections (wonder how much they cost )

I think, for the time being though, I'm going to get some Evening Primrose Oil, and one of the Dowest Herbs supplements for skin conditions; and see if that helps...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I could be wrong but i dont think you can get Melatonin in the Uk. I looked into it when Rosie went bald on her flanks however thats a good few years ago now.

Contact Hilton Herbs - www.hiltonherbs.co.uk & they reply by return. They sold me a pot of Phytobalm which you massage into affected area everyday. Within 3 months all hair had regrown. You do need to do it every day tho & one pot does forever type of thing.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Oooh, thanks VB!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 05:34 PM
If you think it is seasonal Alopecia I would get some Liverine Unction and rub it in every day.

I have seen a few cases of this and I always give some of the above and it does the trick. It is not something that will go quickly and will go even if you do nothing. If you want to give a suppliment I would go for Kelp.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/pro...m_CN187005.htm
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Just wondered about Murphy, Shelley....

Did you get to the bottom of what's causing this?
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
also shelley, just to let you know the starflower oil might have worked for Mya, lots of hair regrowth now, she's still got baldy bits but definitely new growth coming through, might be worth a try,
hope you are ok xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >